• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

EMS Schools

C-Rex

I'm looking into doing the 3 day winter mountaineering course they offer as well as the avalanche safety course. The ones out of North Conway, NH. Anyone done this or have any knowledge of them? Any recommendations? Are there other schools that would be a better option?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

dmc

I've done the intro and AVI 1 at Pinkham Noitch... Class and field work..
It was Appalacian Mountain Club.. Great course... need to go back and refresh...

catskills

National Ski Patrol Avalanche I class Friday-Sunday March 14-16 2014 Instructor of Record Chuck Boyd 860-508-5273 chucklin2@gmail.com location at Whiteface Mountain. Chuck has climb Mt Everest and other Himalayan mountains. You don;t need to be a member of National Ski Patrol to take the class. Great class. Contact Chuck.

MadMadWorld

I'm looking into doing the 3 day winter mountaineering course they offer as well as the avalanche safety course. The ones out of North Conway, NH. Anyone done this or have any knowledge of them? Any recommendations? Are there other schools that would be a better option?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

If you want to learn from the best and toughest terrain you should go with Acadia Mountain Guides. Most instructors will bring you right to Katahdin. I did my level I and II with them as well as my Wilderness First Aid. They are great and have a ton of knowledge and experience.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AlpineZone mobile app

C-Rex

Thanks guys. From the trip report it sounds like EMS has a solid crew. I'll do some more looking around before I make the decision though. Gotta get my lazy ass in shape now!

polski

Website
twitter.com

Umm, yeah, I was gonna say ...

I don't have anything to compare to first-hand but the EMS class was solid. Definitely helps if you are in decent shape, familiar with skinning and a competent skier. I see EMS now offers 4-day avy 1 courses for skiers/skinners only - an extra day in the field and presumably more time each day in the field without any snowshoers in the group.