• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Entry Level Telemark Skiing Suggestions?

Loaf Nut

I'm interested in learning how to tele ski, but I can't afford to spend much money on new gear. Any suggestions for a cheap way to get into it would be much appreciated.

I'm 5'10", 180 lbs, size 10.5 feet, and have skied for 15 years.

teleo

Find a tele demo day if you can. Used to be one at pico or killington every year. I think mrg does some. Equipment & lessons are usually pretty cheap on those days. Thats how I got started. Not sure who might do that where you are.

Since you've been skiing for a while, if you've kept old skiis, buy tele bindings and mount them on an old pair of alpine skiis. Preferably something softer since tele does not have as much leverage.

I started by buying demo boots thinking I was a beginner on tele so the fit was not as important. Saved some $, worked for a while.

Definitely take a lesson to get started. Otherwise you're likely to ski more alpine than tele.