• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Fat Lady Thread 2017

shpride

Blue Hills announced they are trying for April 2. Their new pumphouse made a huge difference this year.

fbrissette

dlague;975991April to find out that almost all the ski areas are closed by mid April and almost everything was still 100% open on the last days.[/QUOTE said:
So you don't get any skiing where you dodge rocks, jump from one snow patch to the other and even water skis over small puddles ? What's the point of moving out West ?

Bostonian

Nashoba looks like they're shooting for one more weekend.

Gunstock I am guessing will go until April 9th with their pond skim. Doubt they will go beyond that.

I'd like to see Wildcat go until May 1, but will settle to get up there the weekend before my birthday in april.

goldsbar

Surprised to see Telluride closes in 2 weekends... guess I'll be there during the last week. Seems like most seasons they could go way longer if they wanted to.

I was there two years ago for their last week (not weekend). I can understand why they close. Telluride is in the middle of nowhere, but with a great small town literally right at the base. And I mean literally, you can probably walk from much of the town to the lift with your ski boots on. It won't be crowded and you'll likely have a great time, but unlikely they're making much money.

xwhaler

Nashoba looks like they're shooting for one more weekend.

Gunstock I am guessing will go until April 9th with their pond skim. Doubt they will go beyond that.

I'd like to see Wildcat go until May 1, but will settle to get up there the weekend before my birthday in april.
Per their site Gunstock's pond skim is Sunday 4/2. I would guess that will do it for them.

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
Looks like Powder Ridge (CT) is calling it, with this Sunday 3/26 being it for them, per their FB page:

"Winter's fading - The last hurrah! We are open this weekend Sat. 9 am – 10 pm & Sunday 9 am – 5 pm. Sunday will be our last day open for the winter season. Come celebrate with us in the Tavern at 5 pm on Sunday, We'll be ringing out the winter season & ringing in the new season. Stay tuned for all the great events coming up. Thank you all very much for spending time with us this winter."

That's actually a pretty descent closing for them. Powder Ridge was my hometown mountain years ago and even spent a few years there on the payroll. Winters can be hit-or-miss for them. They did luck out with a few descent storms this season. I wonder when the latest they ever stayed open for a season was?

The mentality of those in southern reaches changes come March, with spring sports and the thought of warm weather activities beckoning. Even if the mtns get a foot+ from here on out, it won't attract folks like it does in Dec,Jan,Feb. Those who really want it will driver for it.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Wow. That is good for them. Only skied there once two seasons ago when CT had a ton of snow. 12" powder night that was fun, but the place was too flat to enjoy it. Seemed like a real low budget operation. The owner was bartending. Looks like they've made it a sustainable business

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

medfordmike

It's on my short list for tomorrow with a voucher to burn. Do you know if Holt's is still running? Not worth the ride for just the quad.

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app

They are not always the best with updating their report but it looked like the snowmaking trails on Holt's are open (3-4 routes maybe). Not sure where else your considering but aside from the visibility at the top Cannon had good surface conditions today.

Cornhead

Greek Peak closed for the season. Fun day today despite the fog, didn't rain till after 11. Soft hero snow, bumps were tricky, real grabby, not loose enough to push around, almost got tossed on my ass a couple times before I gave up on them.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using AlpineZone mobile app

drjeff

Looking at the forecast for the week, unfortunately i'm thinking a few "stealth" closings (today being the closing day when they're hoping it will be next weekend) will be happening, especially if next weekend's weather ends up being stormy of the liquid variety as long range forecasts are hinting at now....

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

xwhaler

Looking at the forecast for the week, unfortunately i'm thinking a few "stealth" closings (today being the closing day when they're hoping it will be next weekend) will be happening, especially if next weekend's weather ends up being stormy of the liquid variety as long range forecasts are hinting at now....

I agree. While Crotched is saying next wknd is a possible re opening based on snow pack what they really mean is will the weather be good enough next wknd to bring out enough people to cover costs.

I overheard a manger yesterday there say "if crowds are gonna be this light we aren't going to open"

It's generally not a matter of snowpack this time of yr as it is the crowds dry up and it doesn't make fiscal sense to open.

Glenn

Jeff,
When is Mt Snow calling it?

Rumor has it, Stratton is 4/9. Totally unfounded and hearsay. Take it for what it's worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drjeff

Jeff,
When is Mt Snow calling it?

Rumor has it, Stratton is 4/9. Totally unfounded and hearsay. Take it for what it's worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All they've publicly said so far is daily operations through next Sunday the 2nd.

Rumors are that the following weekend, the 9th with daily operations until then is very likely unless the weather look awful, and that Easter Sunday, the 16th is the "penciled in" closing day with the annual Easter Egg hunt for a season pass a nice closing day option....

As always, it's all about the weather and the crowds, as unless we get a REALLY warm, wet week, they have plenty of snow to make it through to Easter Sunday