• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Fatal Crash - Route 100 in Killington

HowieT2

That picture makes it a bit more clear.

Fairly shocking for that horrific of a crash to occur in that location. Speeds shouldn't be that high there. When I first heard of the accident I assumed further east on 4 down the big hill towards the pasta pot.

But they are. The speed limit westbound is 50 and while the limit eastbound is 40 going down the hill, it is 50 up the hill.

steamboat1

But they are. The speed limit westbound is 50 and while the limit eastbound is 40 going down the hill, it is 50 up the hill.

The SUV was just entering the 50mph zone going uphill. The speed limit is 40mph where you see the buildings just behind it. The truck appears to be already past the first 40mph sign on the downhill side, the one you see in the picture is the second 40mph sign. Up until that first sign just up the hill from the town the speed limit is 50mph going downhill too.

jaybird

Condolences and Prayers for the victims :sad:

That section is nearly always bad with inclement weather.

http://www.wcax.com/story/30855250/police-id-victims-in-deadly-killington-crash

KILLINGTON, Vt. -
Police have released the names of three people killed in a crash in Killington.

The deadly crash happened Tuesday afternoon on snow and ice-covered Route 4 when a tractor-trailer jack-knifed and collided with an oncoming SUV.

Scruffy

I was staying at the Killington Motel, just 50 yards down from the accident, towards the Killington Access Road. I had just finished skiing and had pulled into the motel parking lot, returning from the mountain, when the accident happened. I didn't see it, but it happened just after I pulled into the parking lot and I saw the aftermath. It was gruesome. The victims likely never knew what hit them, which, if true, I guess could be, considering the circumstances, a blessing. The road was close until midnight.

MadMadWorld

I have no idea what happened but having been at several vehicular accident scenes here is what I see....the pic from the other angle is very telling. If you look at the snow in the far left of the picture you can see tire marks in it as well as shredded tire right in the same spot. Using that as a marker, you will notice tire burns in the road along with debris. The spacing of the tire marks tell me that the 18 wheeler was sliding sideways down the hill and into the path of the Escalade. Looks as though the Escalade struck the trailer head on at a high rate of speed. It must have happened very quick because it doesn't look like the Escalade had time to even react.