• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Flags on the 48 - 2004

Greg

Staff member
FOT48 said:
On September 11th, 2001 the consciousness of United States of America was inexorably altered by an unprovoked and unjustifiable act of terrorism so far reaching in its scope, that our country will not soon heal from this wound. Thousands of innocent lives were lost in a fleeting moment as families still try to piece together their shattered lives and return to some semblance of normalcy.

We in the hiking community would like to honor those fallen heroes by flying the American flag atop of all 48 four thousand foot and higher mountains in New Hampshire on Saturday, September 11, 2004. By demonstrating our steadfast unity as Americans and as hikers, we hope to express our unwavering support to the families and to the communities whose losses are beyond comprehension and whose sacrifices will forever remain in our hearts.

For more information, see:

Flags on the 48 - September 11, 2004

Join the annual September 11 memorial hike to raise
the American Flag on all 48 New Hampshire 4000'ers.

Greg

Staff member
Just an FYI. Currently, there are 5 peaks that still need coverage:

West Bond
Cannon
Galehead
Owl's Head
Wildcat D

18 days to go...

pedxing

I'm really glad that people who can't take their peaks are cancelling in advance and that the information is being relayed so other people can step up. Great work Greg and everyone else on the team!

Schuyler

It was a great day! The weather was fine and it was so nice to see all of you at the grill :D

It was kind of quiet way up north on Cabot and it allowed the the real purpose for being up there to sink in. Kinda sad. Let us not forget what happened, and also keep in our thoughts all the men & women out there serving and dying for our Country.

Looking forward to next year!
Sky

thetrailboss

Staff member
When I first saw the idea here on AZ, I thought it was great. Looking at the photos sent tingles up my spine--what a great idea. I was glad to see a BSA troop getting in on the action, too. Had I not been tied up that AM, I would have been on a peak as well with a flag. Saturday was a quiet day as it was and should have been.

A pretty :( day, but good for reflection as to where this country has been and where it is going. Next thing: participate in the upcoming presidential race and vote on November 2nd regardless of party affiliation. Remember, this county was built on consenus and compromise, not bitter divisiveness.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Hmm ... that narrows down Mr. X to one of a little over a hundred possibilities.

Now if he actually *saw* the Adams flag, as opposed to seeing a picture, that reduces it even further.

8)

Greg

Staff member
Re: 2005 Trek

Charlie Schuessler said:
Anyone going to participate in this event?

If it is good I may take a hike up Cannon or Lincoln... :idea:
I think Team Frodo is doing Lincoln this year. I'd like to meet him, but unfortunately, I'm going to be pushing top soil around my yard this weekend...

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Re: 2005 Trek

Greg said:
Charlie Schuessler said:
Anyone going to participate in this event?

If it is good I may take a hike up Cannon or Lincoln... :idea:
I think Team Frodo is doing Lincoln this year. I'd like to meet him, but unfortunately, I'm going to be pushing top soil around my yard this weekend...
Thats good..you only get one chance to for good soil before that grass grows.