• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Form Fitting boots

Puck it

I think he means the new boots where the shells are heated along with the liners. Fischer was the first to do this and now Salomon and Head.

I always heat liners and put shells in boiling water to form fit to my foot.

drjeff

My wife had a pair of Strolz about 10yrs ago - she liked them (she has a short, wide foot with a high arch so getting a good fit for her is a challenge) she then went for some more performance and got a pair of Surefoot fit boots, again she liked them for the few years she had them. She's now on a pair of Atomic's that she had fully custom fit at a women's only ski shop in Vail with full custom liners. In all cases, even with the strolz, she still had custom footbeds. Her feet can still get cold though (which is why i'm posting this during a warm up break with her after about 90 minutes on the hill this morning ;) )

My daughter this year got a pair of the Fischer Race Boots this year where they thermoform the whole shell around the shape of your foot, and she's been real happy with the fit and warmth of them vs a stock shell - to the point that as my wife is approaching getting her next pair of boots that she's thinking about the thermoform Fischer's to try and work the boot around her funky shaped foot rather than trying to get her foot to work within the confines of a stock shell as a starting point

Price wise, her Strolz's, even 10+ yrs ago, were about $1000 :eek:

Since then, her boots (all high performance women's boots) have been in the $450 to $600 range, and whenever she's had a new footbed made (she gets new ones about every 5yrs as the wear and tear of increasing age alters her arch height a bit) usually run $200 to $250

She probably averages 150 days or so on her boots before she gets new ones and 250-300 days on her footbeds

steamboat1

Actually, Puck it has referenced the boots I was thinking about. Has anyone tried these boots?

I have the Salomon X Pros which they heat the liners to form to your foot. The more I wear them (a little over 20 days so far) the more comfortable they become. I think the heat from my feet makes the fit more comfortable over time. They are very warm boots too. Think I paid about $400 (?) for them on sale at the end of last season.

edit: found the receipt, paid $350. They are Salomon X Pro 120's

Last edited:

Hawkshot99

There are many options I know of.

Dale Boots-Full custom based off measurments of your foot. I have never spoken to anyone with them but the looks of them are very ugly.

Fischer Vaccum-The boots are heated up then a vaccum system is put around the shell as you wear the boots. The shell is basically squeezed tight to the shape of your foot. I have spoken to many people who love these, but know many people who hated them as well.

Atomic/Salomon- These are "normal" boots, however if there is a bone sticking out weird, or your foot is wider then they can be heated up and stretched out around the shape.

Intuition Liners-These are just liners that can go in any boot. They are heated up, then put in the boot with your foot to cool. As they cool the expand out filling any voids in the boot around your foot shape. There are several ski and snowboard companoes that offer these as the stock liners. (This is the option I use and speak very highly for them)

Race boots- Race boots have a thicker shell that can be carved out to fit the shape of your foot.

Surefoot- A foam injection liner. Most of their boots are based off a Lange model. The liners have tubes going into them. While you are standing in the boots they inject them with foam filling the liner and molding it to your foot shape. I have talked to many people with these. Everybody either loved them, or hated all the $ they wasted on them. I never spoke to someone who was just ok with them.

I spent 6 years running a ski shop on mtn with a large demo center. I saw a lot of custom boots come through and would talk to the owners on their thoughts of them.
The shop I'm with sells The fischer vaccuum, Atomic/Salomon, and Intuition liners.
I am sure there are more "custom" options, but off the top of my head that's what I can think of.

Brad J

I'm not sure what they are called, but these boots are heated and mold fitted to your feet.

For those who have them, how do you like them? Do they fit nice and snug without cutting off circulation? Are they warm? How do they compare to traditional fitted boots with orthotic foot beds? And finally (it always comes down to money) what is the price range for these boots?

If you are happy with your shell fit consider zip fit liners, there are no one in the east that stocks them but some on line retailers. They have a good web site with fitting instructions. I did it myself and my wife with great results. I have about 200 days on them with no packing out and great fit. My shell sole is wearing out so I am about to replace the boots but can put the zip fits in the new shell. The process is basically as Puck It discribed . You can PM me for more details if needed. Out at snowbird they are very popular with the avid skiers.

BenedictGomez

$1200 according to the website

Hysterical-Laughing-Gif-12.gif

MEtoVTSkier

Intuition Liners-These are just liners that can go in any boot. They are heated up, then put in the boot with your foot to cool. As they cool the expand out filling any voids in the boot around your foot shape. There are several ski and snowboard companoes that offer these as the stock liners. (This is the option I use and speak very highly for them)

I went with Dalbello Kryptons that had the Intuition liners from the factory, and custom footbeds done when I got the boots. Best thing I ever did. Very happy with them.

Bumpsis

I went with Dalbello Kryptons that had the Intuition liners from the factory, and custom footbeds done when I got the boots. Best thing I ever did. Very happy with them.

Another variation on the same theme-I just picked up a new pair of Full Tilts which feature the Intuition liners. I skied in them one day before I had the liner heat formed. The heat molding (done in the shop) did make a very nice difference. I have no need for custom footbeds, so skipped that option. My Full Tilts are a pretty snug fit so I'm not even sure I could fit a custom footbed into them. Non-issue for me.

mbedle

Go with the Intuition liners. Been in them for two years and by far the best fit. Plus, if they get packed out, you can always remold them (I think 6 times). Nice thing is you don't need to use foot beds with this liners.

prsboogie

I'm not sure what they are called, but these boots are heated and mold fitted to your feet.

For those who have them, how do you like them? Do they fit nice and snug without cutting off circulation? Are they warm? How do they compare to traditional fitted boots with orthotic foot beds? And finally (it always comes down to money) what is the price range for these boots?

I have the XPros 120 as well and had the shells and liners heated as well as a custom foot bed made. I love them, no more cold feet, no more numb feet. They were 325 plus $110 for the foot bed. If you wait for a sale you should be able to find them this year around the same price. IMHO totally worth it. Also commented on them in the Wet Feet thread (or whatever its called) 😉

drjeff

Drjeff. Your wife was happy with the Strolz(???). Why did she not get them again when they wore out?

She was happy with them at the time. She felt though that as her skiing abilities were advancing, that they weren't able to offer enough performance for her to help her advance her skills.

That was a solid decade ago, not sure what their shell options are/aren't now?? She was always happy with their fit and comfort though!

Now that boot fitting options have advanced so much in the last decade or so, and my wife has found a boot fitter both here at Mount Snow where we ski to make any tweaks that she needs, and an "excuse" to go to Vail when she wants a new pair outright! ;)

The strolz shop she used, was much further out of the way, hence another reason why she didn't go strolz again

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm just going to offer one opinion on the Intuition liners. I had them in a pair of Dalbello Kryptons and didn't really care for the overlap design. They do offer a traditional design with tongue as well. So, instead of ordering online, you may want to check them out at a dealer and see which you prefer

Edd

Pic of my wife's Strolz boot. The buckles are weird; a ratchet design. The booster strap is oddly skinny. She likes them but they failed to solve her foot pain issues, which she's getting a cortisone shot for.

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1455460077.923259.jpg

gmcunni

I have the XPros 120 as well and had the shells and liners heated as well as a custom foot bed made. I love them, no more cold feet, no more numb feet. They were 325 plus $110 for the foot bed. If you wait for a sale you should be able to find them this year around the same price. IMHO totally worth it. Also commented on them in the Wet Feet thread (or whatever its called) ��

do you have a wide foot? i was reading on wide boot options last night and the xpro 120 popped up on a list.

. Salomon X-Pro/ Quest Pro

So these boots beginning at a mid fitting type last, the outstanding ability to fit wide feet with the Custom Shell plastic (Kaprolene). Starting at a 100mm last with 10 mins of heating this boots expands out up to a 106mm last. I have seen great results with getting this boot to fit extremely wide feet and has a generous instep height aswell. Great for anyone with a narrower heel but wide forefoot.

gmcunni

I have the XPros 120 as well and had the shells and liners heated as well as a custom foot bed made. I love them, no more cold feet, no more numb feet. They were 325 plus $110 for the foot bed. If you wait for a sale you should be able to find them this year around the same price. IMHO totally worth it. Also commented on them in the Wet Feet thread (or whatever its called) ��

did you go through this full process?

where you get for $325?

steamboat1

did you go through this full process?

With me they did the heat part but not the ice pack. They were comfortable right from the get go but like I said earlier they seem to have become even more comfortable the more I use them. I don't have a custom foot bed & don't feel the need to have them.