• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2024- 2025 Gear

jimmywilson69

I have a regular version of the Ripstick 96 and it serves me well in everything except boilerplate ice which frankly only a race ski would enjoy. I was going to swap skis with a buddy who has the black version this year but we never thought about until after we were out of the boots with beer in hand...

raisingarizona

I have a friend with both Peak 98 and Peak 88 who raves about both of them.

I almost considered buying some Peak 88s due to the special they have going on right now, but opted to buy a set of Volkl Kendos instead this week.

As compelling as the $499 price on Peak was, I got my Kendos for $360 knocked down from $395, which was already a screaming deal. I also own the Mantra M102 and the Kendo is essentially the 88mm version of that. I love the M102, so I'm sure I made a great choice for my ski preferences in the Kendo as well.

Lots of great deals on Kendos right now because Volkl is rebranding them next season as the Mantra 88. Same exact ski, different graphics and different name. So shops are dumping their Kendo inventory to make room.
I have some old 193 Kendo's I use for groomer days. F those things are fast but pretty sketchy for free ride skiing.

drjeff

lol

havent read thread.

posting in thread to say i need a 'narrow' ski. my narrowest current is my fischer ranger 102 pinkies. they are dunzo. topsheet separation going for like 6 inches and will not be held down by any epoxy. two tries to hold it together, both broke on first use after repair. it packs out with snow. its time to retire them

thinking about the elan ripstick 96 black edition for my east coast hardpack

this would put me in a 96, 106 (kastle FX), and 116 (kastle FX) quiver

tho a part of me is like hmmm more kastles in the 96?

marker whatever bindings on the pinkies will transfer over.
I've got the Kastle FX 96's (Great ski that can do most anything pretty well). I convinced a buddy of mine last Fall to buy a pair of the FX 86's under the caveat that if he didn't like them at all, I'd buy them off of him for what he paid Powder7 for them. I never had to hand him the $$ (I won't lie, I kind of wish I was going to have to ;);)) His other pair of skis when he's not on his true mogul skis, are the DPS Kaizen 100's. He is a STRONG skier and about the size of a pro linebacker.

I would think that the 86's would give a little better performance on the harder snow surfaces, but still have enough width to play around if it softened up later in the day. My 96's, I wish were a little narrower when the surface is HARD, but otherwise are a blast in most surfaces, until it gets REALLY soft or deep when I love my FX 106's. Kastle makes a great ski!

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
I don't see the point skiing on something wider than 90 probably 80% of the ski days in a season in the East, maybe more. Even if you are a Jay skier.

That's honestly why I bought the Kendos. I bought the M102 last season thinking I could downsize my quiver and split the difference between pairs of 107 and 90, but nope. The M102 probably has the best carving performance and hard snow integrity of any ski over 100 on the market. Still not in the same league as my Head iRally at 76 which I bet I still end up reaching for more often than the new Kendos.

drjeff

I don't see the point skiing on something wider than 90 probably 80% of the ski days in a season in the East, maybe more. Even if you are a Jay skier.

That's honestly why I bought the Kendos. I bought the M102 last season thinking I could downsize my quiver and split the difference between pairs of 107 and 90, but nope. The M102 probably has the best carving performance and hard snow integrity of any ski over 100 on the market. Still not in the same league as my Head iRally at 76 which I bet I still end up reaching for more often than the new Kendos.
Agree with that general sentiment.

I spent the majority of my days this season on a couple of pairs that I have in my quiver that are in the mid 90's underfoot (Atomic Maveric 94's and Kastle FX 96's). I was generally happy with them, Occasionally if the snow surface was FORM, I'd grab a pair of Head Supershape ISpeeds from a few seasons ago that are 68 underfoot and full camber 15m radius beer league cheater skis, which are a blast, but didn't like softer snow. Late season I grabbed an old pair of Kastle Delta Large skis that are 84 underfoot, with just a touch of tip rocker and an 18m radius, and I was questioning why I was spending so much time on my mid 90's underfoot as those mid to upper 80's with just a touch of tip rocker are just a great combo for the vats majority of frontside days..... Hence why I bought the Peak 88's.