• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Garbage on the slopes

gregnye

I thought that was for permitting. If they removed it completely they would need to get a new permit if they ever wanted a new lift there but if they leave it standing, its an easier process.

Might be strictly rumor/excuses though I do not know.

Yeah I've heard that rumor too. Doesn't make it right though. Like lift tickets are over $90, just a few tickets would be needed to cover the state permitting costs again.

Also why would they ever need Devils Fiddle quad again? I could understand the argument for the old Sunrise lift (the lower towers are also still there), but even if they brought that back to life, people could just skate over to the Bear Mountain lift.

More importantly though, I wish Pico would clean up the debris on Poma line.

uphillklimber

Yeah I've heard that rumor too. Doesn't make it right though. Like lift tickets are over $90, just a few tickets would be needed to cover the state permitting costs again.

Also why would they ever need Devils Fiddle quad again? I could understand the argument for the old Sunrise lift (the lower towers are also still there), but even if they brought that back to life, people could just skate over to the Bear Mountain lift.

More importantly though, I wish Pico would clean up the debris on Poma line.

It's not the cost of the permits that is the issue. It's the environmental impact and politics involved. If you are replacing something that has been there (or torn down within the past 12 months) you don't need to go thru all of that.

speden

I've seen Wachusett advertise a mountain clean up day in the spring, where people can volunteer to pick up trash on the mountain for a free lift ticket and lunch. Seems like a good idea since you need a lot of manpower to collect all the scattered trash that was hidden under the snow. But volunteers can't tackle big stuff like old haul cables, so that should have been removed at the time it was decommissioned. Maybe an inspector should have flagged that as a problem.

There seems to be a trend towards making single use stuff biodegradable, and then some the trash could be handled by mother nature. I read the other day that sales of paper straws are up 5000% since a lot of places are phasing out using plastic straws. Not sure what can be done about beer cans. Probably it's not good to have metal break down and contaminate the soil, so would be nice if people would pack out their trash once they are done partying in the woods.

Hopefully someone at Sunday River will see your post and take some action to clean that stuff up.

jaytrem

About a month ago I walked from the top Mount Snow to the top of Canyon with my kids. We picked up 444 pieces of garbage along the way. They're 6 and that's how they earn their ski/rollercoaster money. Good chunk of it under the the Grand Summit, but also plenty on the sides of non-lift trails. Could have got more but the bag was maxed out. Sad.

bdfreetuna

That's true but some resorts are much worse than others when it comes to leaving garbage around. Killington is perfect example. That devil's fiddle chair hasn't been used in years yet it still stands there rusting away

Devil's Fiddle isn't exactly a prominent hiking area and in the winter it makes no difference.

At the rate it's rusting it will probably be ashes to ashes and by that time Killington will be a fond memory of the past anyway.

Killingtime

Devil's Fiddle isn't exactly a prominent hiking area and in the winter it makes no difference.

At the rate it's rusting it will probably be ashes to ashes and by that time Killington will be a fond memory of the past anyway.

They made use of the old Devils Fiddle motor room and turned it into a bar. $65 a person for a nighttime cat ride up to it with some drinks and apps thrown in. Gets sold out weeks in advance.

shwilly

About a month ago I walked from the top Mount Snow to the top of Canyon with my kids. We picked up 444 pieces of garbage along the way. They're 6 and that's how they earn their ski/rollercoaster money. Good chunk of it under the the Grand Summit, but also plenty on the sides of non-lift trails. Could have got more but the bag was maxed out. Sad.

Nice! Way to do something about the problem. I'll make a point to bring a bag the next time I hike my home mountain.

skifree

must be some interesting finds in that lift line garbage.

benski

They made use of the old Devils Fiddle motor room and turned it into a bar. $65 a person for a nighttime cat ride up to it with some drinks and apps thrown in. Gets sold out weeks in advance.

That has to be the sickest ski area bar.

jaytrem

must be some interesting finds in that lift line garbage.

I did find $1 last time!!! Nothing else overly exciting.

What always surprises me is the number of water bottles. Seems like a disproportional amount of them. I'd estimate at least 3/4 of various drink bottles I get out of the river are water. Are people who buy bottled water more likely to litter? Or are there that many being sold?

56fish

Website
www.borderskirental.com

What always surprises me is the number of water bottles. Seems like a disproportional amount of them. I'd estimate at least 3/4 of various drink bottles I get out of the river are water. Are people who buy bottled water more likely to litter? Or are there that many being sold?

2-3 $bucks for couple dozen ..... I cut grass (schools, non- residential, etc) ... bottles everywhere

sull1102

People aren't on drinking water out of those..... Ah yes the good ol days of hiding clear liquor in a Poland Spring bottle...

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app

jaytrem

People aren't on drinking water out of those..... Ah yes the good ol days of hiding clear liquor in a Poland Spring bottle...

Hmmm, hadn't thought of that. Still way too many for that to be the explanation though.

Domeskier

Hmmm, hadn't thought of that. Still way too many for that to be the explanation though.

I usually ski with one or two bottles of water in my pockets at all times (except late spring when I switch to a Camelbak). I go through maybe four to six bottles a day depending on how hard I'm skiing and the temperature. I dispose of the bottles responsibly, but it doesn't surprise me that most of the bottles littering the mountain are water bottles. I saw an article the other day stating that more young athletes are dying from over-hydration than dehydration these days. Wouldn't surprise me if the hydration craze is causing more people to carry water with them on the slopes.

Glenn

I can see the occasional "oops, dropped that!", but there really shouldn't as much garbage under the lifts that there is.

bdfreetuna

I usually ski with one or two bottles of water in my pockets at all times (except late spring when I switch to a Camelbak). I go through maybe four to six bottles a day depending on how hard I'm skiing and the temperature. I dispose of the bottles responsibly, but it doesn't surprise me that most of the bottles littering the mountain are water bottles. I saw an article the other day stating that more young athletes are dying from over-hydration than dehydration these days. Wouldn't surprise me if the hydration craze is causing more people to carry water with them on the slopes.

Ha. If I manage to gulp down 4 of those little plastic cups by the bubblers in a day of skiing, I consider that sufficient to replenish the large iced coffee I drank on the drive up.

Have you noticed actual advantages to drinking that much water while skiing? I don't like taking many bathroom breaks ideally.

Siliconebobsquarepants

Website
www.youtube.com
Ha. If I manage to gulp down 4 of those little plastic cups by the bubblers in a day of skiing, I consider that sufficient to replenish the large iced coffee I drank on the drive up.

Have you noticed actual advantages to drinking that much water while skiing? I don't like taking many bathroom breaks ideally.

Beware! , Coffee can stimulate ones bowels:razz:

Domeskier

Not really, but I like to ski above my fitness level and tend to sweat most of it out. It does seem to catch up with me about 45 minutes into the ride home. There is a rest area on my route with a row of those plastic outhouses. I've had to use them more times than I care to admit.

skiur

This isn't Utah, just pee in the woods.