• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Getting to Middlebury from Sugarbush?

abc

Which is the better route to get from Sugarbush to Middlebury? (The village, not the ski mountain)

Google suggest it‘s similar time going over on Rt 17 vs Rt 125. But I seem to recall Rt 17 is quite steep and twisty. Can’t remember what Rt 125 is like. But I think it’s at a lower elevation. How well do VT DoT clear the snow after a storm?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Which is the better route to get from Sugarbush to Middlebury? (The village, not the ski mountain)

Google suggest it‘s similar time going over on Rt 17 vs Rt 125. But I seem to recall Rt 17 is quite steep and twisty. Can’t remember what Rt 125 is like. But I think it’s at a lower elevation. How well do VT DoT clear the snow after a storm?
Depends on the weather and road conditions. Route 17, App Gap, indeed is a true mountain road with hairpin turns, steep grades, high elevation, etc. When I regularly drove it, then Governor Douglas lived in Middlebury so this was HIS route to Montpelier and it was kept pretty well maintained. Now......???? It is pretty direct from Mount Ellen to Middlebury and there are a few shortcuts in Bristol to Route 7 that make it more direct. It also is a damn scenic drive.

If you are concerned, the Route 100 to Route 125 is a relatively safe option. The road does climb to a relative high point near the Snowbowl, but then descends and runs along a plateau until Ripton. The windy and tricky section of 125 is between Ripton and East Middlebury, or further down in elevation. Route 125 is pretty scenic as well. The Waybury Inn was where "Newhart" was set.

Hawk

We do both. Mostly in the summer because we start a lot of our road bike rides from Middlebury. They are very similar in duration Maybe 5 minues longer for 17 so if the roads are dry you could pick either. Usually we go 17 to 116 to Munger road or Quarry road because it is more scenic. I hate Rt 7.

KustyTheKlown

unless its dumping snow, 17 is such a nice drive. no reason to be scared of 17 if there isnt bad weather happening.

we broke trail on 17 getting to sugarbush last season in a major storm. next day was a 9" powder day. my girlfriend happened to be with me, which is rare. how my snow tires handled that drive gave her a lot of reassurance about my general safety in the winter.

abc

unless its dumping snow, 17 is such a nice drive. no reason to be scared of 17 if there isnt bad weather happening.
I’ll be doing it Thursday afternoon. No big dump in the forecast.

I didn’t put winters on my car this year, because I wasn’t expecting a lot of driving to the snow country. The last 2 days pulling in and out of haphazardly plowed parking lots reminded me the difference in traction between winters and regular “all seasons”. :(

2Planker

I’ll be doing it Thursday afternoon. No big dump in the forecast.

I didn’t put winters on my car this year, because I wasn’t expecting a lot of driving to the snow country. The last 2 days pulling in and out of haphazardly plowed parking lots reminded me the difference in traction between winters and regular “all seasons”. :(
AKA "No Season Tires" as they aren't really good in either the summer or winter seasons.

drjeff

AKA "No Season Tires" as they aren't really good in either the summer or winter seasons.
I'm going to do my part to make it snow a week from now. Just made the appointment to get my snows off (both time for an oil change, AND the tread on my snows after somewhere between 30-35k miles over the last 4 years is looking much closer to a racing slick than a snow tire right now) and the all seasons put back on... So as we head into April, if it gets snowy in ski country, you can thank me later! ;):ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: abc

2Planker

I'm going to do my part to make it snow a week from now. Just made the appointment to get my snows off (both time for an oil change, AND the tread on my snows after somewhere between 30-35k miles over the last 4 years is looking much closer to a racing slick than a snow tire right now) and the all seasons put back on... So as we head into April, if it gets snowy in ski country, you can thank me later! ;):ROFLMAO:
I hear ya. I drive mine approx 6K/season so they really only last about 5 years.
I couldn't get up my own driveway 2 years ago after an early April swap over.

kbroderick

Whats wrong with all seasons in the summer? Unless your going off road or to the race track
In general, handling is seriously compromised versus a dedicated high-performance tarmac tire (on tarmac). Even if you're not a fan of real cornering, the difference in stopping distance is well worth the price of admission if you don't leave pavement on a regular basis. The biggest downside is that winter performance is best described by the "N/A" rating on TireRack for many of them, but if you're putting winter tires on for winter, there's not much disadvantage (well, aside from a somewhat higher per-mile cost because they tend to grip better by using a compound that prioritizes grip over tread life).

There are high-performance tires that aim to work in wider weather and temperature envelopes, but they probably aren't going to be filed under "all-season" in most places.

2Planker

Whats wrong with all seasons in the summer? Unless your going off road or to the race track
Basically they suck. Very average overall BUT do not really do anything well.
Summer performance tires are what you need IF your car is really worth driving, IF you know what I mean.

letitsnow1

I drive a tacoma, snow tires in winter and all terrain in the summer. Performance tires aren't on my radar. My snow tires are pretty much shot, I'm going back to studded next winter there much better on ice. I agree driving a sports car on allseasons is a waste