• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

goggles for flat light

camberstick

having a real issue this season seeing in the flat light .what have you guys found you like? smith yellow?blue sensor works ok but looking for options,and I'm cheap,LOL.

cdskier

I've tried numerous different goggles and lenses over the years for flat light and yet to find something I've really thought worked well. So I'd be curious to hear feedback on this topic too.

shwilly

Oakley A-frames with a light tint are my everyday goggles.

cdskier

Oakley prism lenses are great. Choose the lighter tint versions. Also a big fan of Oakley high-yellow.

Those prism lenses sure look impressive from the info on Oakley's website. I'll have to look at some local shops to see if I can find some to check out.

drjeff

Another vote for the Oakley high intensity yellow lenses. My daughter prefers the pink Oakley lenses that Michaela Shiffrin often wears, but then again she's a fan of anything Shiffrin uses these days... Lol

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

Bandit2941

I've used the Oakley HI (High intensity) Yellow, HI Blue, and Prizm Rose. All are excellent lenses for low light. I bet the new HI Pink Prizm are great too but I haven't gotten a chance to pick a pair up yet.

TheArchitect

I have the Smith I/O googles with a number of lenses. I was using the blue sensor until last year when I picked up the Yellow sensor. I found the yellow to have better contrast and I could see better. I picked up the Chromapop version (Yellow Storm) for this year because I've read that the Chromapop is even better.

Hawkshot99

Those prism lenses sure look impressive from the info on Oakley's website. I'll have to look at some local shops to see if I can find some to check out.
Trying on at a ski shop is tough. They only show how they work on lower light times with snow. I have a dark prism lens, but see much from it on a bluebird day. Also they show nothing looking at grass.

Sent from my SM-G930F using AlpineZone mobile app

cdskier

Trying on at a ski shop is tough. They only show how they work on lower light times with snow. I have a dark prism lens, but see much from it on a bluebird day. Also they show nothing looking at grass.

Yea...I'm more interested in the fit itself over my glasses of the various goggles. That's the part I need a shop for. The lens color part I'm more trusting of what people here are saying works best for them.

Equinox

Yea...I'm more interested in the fit itself over my glasses of the various goggles. That's the part I need a shop for. The lens color part I'm more trusting of what people here are saying works best for them.

I'm having the same problem. The glasses thing is a real bugger.

Years ago, I used to race cars, and I had a high intensity yellow lens on my race helmet that I loved. It cut glare and did intensify dull colors so I could see obstacles better. I've tried on a few lenses in the ski shop, but it's hard to tell how well it works in outdoor conditions. Sometimes I wish we could demo goggles.

SnowRock

I have the Smith I/O googles with a number of lenses. I was using the blue sensor until last year when I picked up the Yellow sensor. I found the yellow to have better contrast and I could see better. I picked up the Chromapop version (Yellow Storm) for this year because I've read that the Chromapop is even better.
same boat. Blue sensor was my go to, switched to chromapop yellow this season and have loved the lens. A little too bright if it gets sunny versus blue sensor which I could deal with from low to bright conditions, but outside of a few blue bird days, it has been my go to lens this season.

fbrissette

having a real issue this season seeing in the flat light .what have you guys found you like? smith yellow?blue sensor works ok but looking for options,and I'm cheap,LOL.

Flat light is the result of scattering and diffusion so incoming light comes from many directions, thus dramatically resulting contrast. There is nothing magical any lens can do about this. Selective transmission (colored lenses) or polarization will not help. Ski close to the trees. Above treeline, you're fucked. Go slower or wait it out. Alternatively, you could carry your own 10000 lumens light source.

kingslug

Anon M2 with the magnetic lens change feature. Change lenses in 1 second flat. I have clear, yellow and a red one. Yet sometimes, nothing really helps but staying near trees.