• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gore 3-9-20

legalskier

Temps: mid 40s to 60 by afternoon; Conditions: variable from firm corduroy & corn early to chunder & mashed potatoes later
Leaving Catamount I headed up to North Creek for the night to meet some folks at Gore. A brilliant full moon gave me hope that the night would be cold. Awoke to temps in lower 40s which quickly rose during the morning. Went straight up to Straight Brook but Rumor wasn't open yet, so we headed over to Lies which was basking in the morning sun.
IMG_8916.jpg
Sorry about the sideways pic. Skied all the other open trails up there like Hawkeye & Chatiemac which was getting a bit bumped up. Headed into the Chatiemac Glades with some difficulty negotiating around exposed rocks and fallen branches here and there among the heavy natural snow but then getting rewarded where it opens up further below. Double Barrel was bumped up but numerous objects required slower careful skiing. We snuck into Straight Brook Glades which have a nice pitch but some obstacles here and there like fallen tree limbs. Snow cover in there was very good. Finally they dropped the rope on Rumor and it was like an army of ants attacking candy melting in the sun.
Waiting my turn to drop in-
IMG_8931.jpg
Huge bumps-
IMG_8932.jpg
Catching my breath at the bottom-
IMG_8929.jpg
The snow was very soft & deep. We stayed there until our legs got wobbly.
Later hit the Dark Side Glades which were in excellent shape-
IMG_8947.jpg
Also hit Darby Woods nearby. If you're wondering when I'm going to get to Burnt Ridge with its miles of awesome tree skiing, I'm not- the peak was closed. So was Little Gore, which I've yet to ski. This was a major disappointment but I suppose they had a minimal operating crew on a Monday in March. Looking on the bright side, this gives me another reason to return to one of my favorite ski resorts anywhere.
All in all though, a great day of spring skiing with a nice goggle tan to boot.

Last edited:

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Ski Bowl is done for the season. Not sure about Burnt Ridge, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was also done.

Love Burnt Ridge. LOVE it.

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
I was up there Monday as well! Rumors was sweet! My son bought his season pass for next year and used it this year. One thing about Gore, is some skating and poling is always required! Nice mtn otherwise and nice to see how much they have done wit the place! Thought the old High Peaks double could stand to be upgraded!

legalskier

I was up there Monday as well! Rumors was sweet! My son bought his season pass for next year and used it this year. One thing about Gore, is some skating and poling is always required! Nice mtn otherwise and nice to see how much they have done wit the place! Thought the old High Peaks double could stand to be upgraded!

Did you happen to see the pair of bald eagles circling over Straight Brook? Everyone stopped to have a look.