• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Guilty pleasures in our current economy

skijay

I was watching a news segment last week about guilty pleasures. The question that was asked to people was what have they treated themselves to during our current state of economy.

I thought about how I have changed my spending habits over the past year and discovered a couple of things related to this past ski season:

1. Normally during ski season I never spend any money for food / beverages at the ski lodge. During the 2008 / 2009 season I loaded my Mt Snow pass with $300 and as of Good Friday I had $4.50 left. I spent it all on food and drink!

2. I never would pay to park at a ski area. This season we paid the $15 for preferred parking 5 times at Mount Snow because it was close to the lodge. Again, this is something I would never normally do.

Even though I cut back on some spending habits, I did not give up anything for skiing. I actually treated myself this season to pleasures I would never do. I look at a ski day as a way to escape reality.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
We've hired a cleaning company. With my wife still hurting from the accident, I didn't want to have to pick up her slack, so I sub-contracted it out ;)

deadheadskier

Staff member
I can't pin point the specific expense, but I'd venture to say I spent 10% more overall on skiing related expenses this year than last myself. I'll only have skied 1 maybe 2 more days, but there has been some overnights and more overall 'social' money spent this winter than last for sure.

Hawkshot99

My pleasures???? Skied over double the # of days. Moved north for the winter to be closer to skiing. Bought a truck. Bought snow tires for my car.

I usually bought lunch at the mountain 6 times a week.

I am making WAY more money during this horrible economic times than I was before as a college student. Now with summer here I still have my full time job, plus now the grass is growing and I can make some nice extra money.

I didn't hesitate to drop a couple hundred dollars to rent a car to drive from Denver to Jackson when my plane couldn't land in Jackson Hole..

At Stowe I dropped almost $10 on a snack..

I didn't Haggle on my hotel in Stowe because the price seemed fair.

In Jackson Hole I definitely had a few $50+ dinners..and some pretty large bartabs..

But although the economy is bad, I made more money in 2008 than I have ever made plus I should make even more in 2009 as long as business is good and I get my end of year bonus..so spending extra on skiing isn't a big deal to me.

We've hired a cleaning company. With my wife still hurting from the accident, I didn't want to have to pick up her slack, so I sub-contracted it out ;)

nice..a cleaning lady is the next thing I want..the woman who cleans the office said she would clean my apartment for $50 but I'd rather pay myself the $50 and do a half assed cleaning job..

drjeff

Just bought a new GMC Acadia :eek: Old faithfull was looking at a service visit of just over $2000 and I just didn't see the advantage of spending that on an almost 7 1/2 year old SUV with just under 170,000k on it.

A bunch of cash off the sticker and 0% financing for 5 years. No complaints - picking her up tommorrow night after work :)

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Just bought a new GMC Acadia :eek: Old faithfull was looking at a service visit of just over $2000 and I just didn't see the advantage of spending that on an almost 7 1/2 year old SUV with just under 170,000k on it.

A bunch of cash off the sticker and 0% financing for 5 years. No complaints - picking her up tommorrow night after work :)
Nice. What color?

deadheadskier

Staff member

Talk about your odd couple an Audi and a GMC

That's like Gisele Bundchen marrying the cable guy :lol:

;)

drjeff

Talk about your odd couple an Audi and a GMC

That's like Gisele Bundchen marrying the cable guy :lol:

;)

Yup, she has her likes and her "allowance" for it, and I have mine(I've always been a GM kind of guy :) ) The funny thing is now that our garage will have 2 cars in it that are literally within an 1" of each other in terms of overall length, width and height - my wife and I were amazed when we saw that the dimensions were almost identical