• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gulf of Slides, Mt. Washington, NH - 4/02/2006

lftgly

We were the optimistic ones on Sunday who tried to skin most of the way, and were fairly successful, but it required numerous dismounts, etc. The hikers probably made better time than us (ah, but they had to carry their skis).

These folks' pictures of skinning up the trail on Friday show what we were up against:
http://www.timefortuckerman.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6264

There's a great trip report from the left gully and snowfields on Sunday in this thread: http://www.timefortuckerman.com/forums/showthread.php?p=74894#post74894

We skied the central gully. Quite skiable, but the suncrust was not the perfect spring conditions we were seeking. A beautiful day to be in the Gulf of Slides, anyway.

Img_0595.jpg

The runout of Central Gully

Img_0611.jpg

Looking up

Img_0598.jpg

Skinning up Central Gully

Img_0599.jpg

Kicking in a boot track up Central Gully

We opted for descending via the slightly softer snow to skier's left of the main gully
Img_0600.jpg

Img_0602.jpg

Shards of suncrust kicked up at every turn.
Img_0604.jpg

Img_06051.jpg

Img_0606.jpg

We had skinned up this far, and dropped our gear here; now it's time to ski down with the full pack!
Img_0607.jpg

Most skiers and riders were hiking down from 3400' elevation, I think I managed to get down to 3100' with a few short walks before I packed up the skis for good.

Gaspipe

great report- as always

Nice report- I'm looking forward to it this weekend- the new snow will be great! Hope to get some good turns!

Regards,
Gaspipe ( alias Way2ski)