• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Helmet Camera

BeefyBoy50

I'm looking to buy a helmet cam mainly for skiing but also for whatever else I can find a use for... So I guess just mainly skiing. Will there be any time in the near future that GoPro or other models are discounted? I'm thinking about getting the new GoPro Hero 3+ Black, because I don't think I'll ever need a more powerful helmet camera than that, but I'm easily persuaded to different models and that is also a very expensive camera so I'm looking for any way I can get one for less than $400. I've also heard good things about lesser GoPro models as well as the Sony Action Cam.
What are everyone elses' experiences with helmet cams around here and what would you recommend or avoid?
Thanks,
Hans

dlague

Drift HD seems to be really good! SkiMyPOV.com used one to travel Vermont and the video came out great.

SIKSKIER

Best buy has the Gopro Hero 3 white for $199.The latest edition is the hero+ with a white,silver,and black.You might not need the extra (minimal imo) features for a first time owner.

Huck_It_Baby

I have the original GoPro and have been using it for 4-5 seasons. It's a beast. Mine has taken all sorts of hard impacts from smacking tree branches to dropping it out of a moving vehicle and nothing has been damaged.

I use it for all sorts of stuff too. From skiing to SCUBA diving.

The new models are slimer, have more options and probably a much easier interface.

My biggest issue with it ( beside looking like a total tool while wearing it) is that the quality of the image isn't the greatest in low light and you have no control over f-stop/aperture or other settings. On a sunny day though it delivers very nice footage.