• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Help me test our new forum software! Feedback Requested!

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Ok all, things are going well, planning a cutover soon. I will be putting this board into maintenance mode when the upgrade happens, I will try to start in on an afternoon but it will likely take the site down for a half day or so assuming there are no major issues.

p_levert

I am for improving the reliability of the site. The existing feature set is fine. If this new software will be more reliable, then do it.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I am for improving the reliability of the site. The existing feature set is fine. If this new software will be more reliable, then do it.

Reliability is a big part. This forum on vb4.2.5 has numerous issues, including compatibility issues with the server, speed issues due to requiring older (and insecure) versions of PHP. And most importantly poor support for mobile which leads to negative search results which means the forum doesn't get as much traffic as it used to from searhc engines. All these things get addressed in the new forum version.

There will be some learning and process changes, but it shouldn't be super complex to everyone here. Fundamentally we will have the same structure.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
The site is back up on the new site. I still have some cleanup to do (tomorrow). Please leave your feedback here:

👇👇

Dickc

Seems to work quite nicely. I notice that on my ipad, it’s MUCH easier to click on the last post than before. Don’t know how many times I tried to click on the small caret, and ended up getting the user profile manu On the older software. This is MUCH more BIG CLUMSY FINGER friendly

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Seems to work quite nicely. I notice that on my ipad, it’s MUCH easier to click on the last post than before. Don’t know how many times I tried to click on the small caret, and ended up getting the user profile manu On the older software. This is MUCH more BIG CLUMSY FINGER friendly
awesome! I'm glad it's working well for you !

Slidebrook87

The new forum on a browser looks great, but I can't seem to get it to work with Tapatalk. Is that still in the works?

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
The new forum on a browser looks great, but I can't seem to get it to work with Tapatalk. Is that still in the works?
it won't work with Tapatalk , I have to shut it down this week. but you can install this like a native app on your phone. @gmcunni share for iphone earlier, and for android, you just add to home page (and it will actually install into your app list)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201107-231726_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201107-231726_Chrome.jpg
    360.4 KB · Views: 2

gittist

How do I get the forum topics in 'last response order'? The filters don't seem to do anything. When I open up NE ski & Snowboard forum the topic that shows up first has a last reply date of Tuesday (Today is Friday). I have to scroll down a ways to get to the one that says "10 minutes ago'. I'd like that one to be on top.

cdskier

How do I get the forum topics in 'last response order'? The filters don't seem to do anything. When I open up NE ski & Snowboard forum the topic that shows up first has a last reply date of Tuesday (Today is Friday). I have to scroll down a ways to get to the one that says "10 minutes ago'. I'd like that one to be on top.
With the exception of the 3 stickied topics (noted by the pushpin icons in my screenshot below), everything else shows in date order for me based on last respons. This is the same as how the old forum functioned. Are you seeing something different than this?

1605285410161.png

p_levert

Nick, everything seems to work ok for me.

OTOH, I really don't like the graphics. User avatar is too big (and annoying), font is too small. Can you adjust these things?

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Nick, everything seems to work ok for me.

OTOH, I really don't like the graphics. User avatar is too big (and annoying), font is too small. Can you adjust these things?
maybe , although I think it looks ok? are you talking about the P for your name, for example. ?

p_levert

Yes, that damn circled P is way too big.

And the message text is too small. And the quoted text is even smaller. I would say that the quoted text should be the same size as regular message text, and both should be bigger.

FWIW, I always use my desktop computer to access AZ.