• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hermitage's new lift

deadheadskier

Staff member
More a want, than a need. I've never been, but I can't see any scenario where a private ski hill in VT needs that kind of capacity.

It's just another selling point. Look?!? Your whole family of six gets to ride together on the chair.

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
More a want, than a need. I've never been, but I can't see any scenario where a private ski hill in VT needs that kind of capacity.

It's just another selling point. Look?!? You're whole family of six gets to ride together on the chair.

Exactly. It is for the cache. And now they can say, "look, Snow has a six pack and we do too." Get it?

SIKSKIER

And this was on their website:
Mountain Operations are suspended for Sunday, January 10th

Tomorrow’s weather forecast: rain, rain and more rain. Amounts could be upwards of 1.3 inches with mixed and freezing precipitation starting tonight. Temperatures are projected to plummet into the low teens and single digits late Sunday evening which will freeze the snow surface. The mountain ops crew will use Sunday to get ahead of the weather and prepare the snow for a heavy rainfall event by tracking up all of the open trails. After this blip, we expect to run full-on snowmaking operations throughout the upcoming week so that we may bring you the best conditions possible next weekend.

drjeff

And this was on their website:
Mountain Operations are suspended for Sunday, January 10th

Tomorrow’s weather forecast: rain, rain and more rain. Amounts could be upwards of 1.3 inches with mixed and freezing precipitation starting tonight. Temperatures are projected to plummet into the low teens and single digits late Sunday evening which will freeze the snow surface. The mountain ops crew will use Sunday to get ahead of the weather and prepare the snow for a heavy rainfall event by tracking up all of the open trails. After this blip, we expect to run full-on snowmaking operations throughout the upcoming week so that we may bring you the best conditions possible next weekend.

Considering that a large percentage of Hermitage Club members also have passes at Mount Snow, most any member who wanted too, and I know of at least 2 who did, was out riding mainly fixed grip lifts and one HSQ in the ugly weather yesterday. And it was EMPTY at Mount Snow yesterday, even on their only "youth pay their age" day of the season.

Additionally, I haven't seen the summit terminal configuration for the Hermitage's bubble six yet, but given its on the same ridge line that Mount Snow is on and both summits have the same basic wind angle exposure, I highly doubt even if the Hermitage was open yesterday that they could of safely operated it in those winds and the angle it was from.

As for the 6 pack, mentioned in the thread already - many members got used to the Bluebird at Mount Snow, and the apparently have enough member families with more than 4 people in them, so they went with the 6 pack instead of the quad

deadheadskier

Staff member
Wonder what the difference in price is?

I imagine the six requires a bit more horsepower and there's the added material in the chairs, but I'm sure Dopplemayr made them a good offer.

gmcunni

The mountain opened for skiing and riding on Dec. 26. The unseasonably warm weather set back plans to open earlier.

odd, i drove by on the way to mt snow on the 30th and it seemed like they were not running lifts. perhaps i was not looking as closely as i thought i was

drjeff

Opening day was the 31st, for the 6 pack at least, if not the whole mountain (Just looked back at one of my friends FB pages who's a member there) and double checked the date on her "opening day, 1st ride on the new bubble" picture, so you weren't imagining not seeing lifts spinning there on the 30th

I'm sure that the size of the air and water pumping capacity will be addressed after this season, as currently depending on temps and how much water they are sending out through each gun, their system maxes out at 59-60 guns running at once