• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hiker dies in Franconia Notch Accident

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
News Story

So sad. My thoughts are with her friends and family.

It's a sobering reminder that hiking, despite how we think of it as so different from climbing and mountaineering, is still not without risk.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I heard that on the news last night...kind of bizarre IMHO. She was underneath the Tram when it happened.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
was it definitely under teh tram? the article linked above is pretty vague in saying "The location is a quarter-mile above the Cannon Mountain tramway." it also mentions she was found in a brook drainage, obvious the path of the tram is not a brook drainage. definitely would like a little more information than provided in the above linked article.

regardless of location, a very sad incident. pretty rare in the whites that someone dies while hiking not due to weather related issues.

thetrailboss

Staff member
riverc0il said:
was it definitely under teh tram? the article linked above is pretty vague in saying "The location is a quarter-mile above the Cannon Mountain tramway." it also mentions she was found in a brook drainage, obvious the path of the tram is not a brook drainage. definitely would like a little more information than provided in the above linked article.

regardless of location, a very sad incident. pretty rare in the whites that someone dies while hiking not due to weather related issues.

The WCAX news gave me the impression that she was 'underneath the tram line' which seemed unusual IMHO. Cannon was a tougher hike IMHO...steep terrain.

MtnMagic

I too watched the WCAX news which reported it twice on Saturday night. It reported,"The body of a female hiking solo was found under the tram where few hikers go." Which is different from the article in Michael's link

Mike P.

Very sad indeed, missing since Wednesday? over the weekend anything with a slope resembled a brook drainage.

swampyankee

A friend that was involved in the search told me that the body was actually spotted by someone on the tram. At the time it wasn't certain if she died where she was found or was moved there by the fast moving water.