• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hockey Talk NHL

cdskier

4 OT games out of 4 Conference finals games so far...one hell of a conference finals series for sure.

I feel like whoever wins the East is going to win the Cup...

cdskier

Don't know what's in the water in South Florida these days. (both hockey and hoops) Can't see anyone beating that goalie. Go Denver in hoops.

I was trying not to jinx it by saying something, but Bobrovsky has been on absolute fire this round against the Canes...

Thought the decision to start Raanta in game 2 instead of Andersen was also interesting for Carolina. Even though they lost game 1, it wasn't like I'd blame Andersen for that. He did have 57 saves after all... Unless they just thought he needed some rest after going 7 periods...

ne_skier

Particularly frustrating game (and series) for Carolina. They did everything right in Game 3, but a combination of bad luck and Bobrovsky kept them scoreless. If Florida does win the cup, it will no doubt be deserved. Also means that the Presidents' Trophy recipients for 2019, 2021 and 2022 all win a cup the next season...

Scottyskis2

Let's go Rangers
The Rangers and Islanders will play each other in February 2024 at MetLife Stadium this year as part of the NHL's Stadium Series, per The Fourth Period's David Pagnotta.

The teams matched up in 2014 at Yankee Stadium, meaning that this matchup with be close to 10 years since the two teams last faced outdoors: https://on.sny.tv/KgFshpM

ne_skier

There will be a second game this year too - battle of North/South Jersey between the Devils and Flyers. Mismatched for sure but a good rivalry nonetheless.

cdskier

I'm enjoying watching the Canes fans cry on social media about how "unfair" the refs were in this series. Now I'm looking forward to Vegas knocking out Dallas... Dallas was an utter embarrassment in Game 3 and deserves to lose the series.

ne_skier

It's official: Peter Laviolette will be the next Rangers head coach. Looks like a 3-year contract somewhere under the $5M mark. Most recently coached the Washington Capitals from 2019 to the end of 22-23 when the team failed to qualify. Won a cup in 2006 with Carolina.
While he certainly isn't the most exciting candidate, he was destined to be the most likely. The Rangers had two routes here - go with an unproven AHL head coach or NHL assistant coach (Knoblauch, Leach, Brunette, etc) or a retread, which this time around was a choice between Laviolette and former Predators coach John Hynes, whose playoff record likely scared off Drury.

In other news: Do or die for Florida tonight, in Vegas. They need Bobrovsky to steal this one for them, ECF style. Not waiting till the 3rd period to start scoring would help too.
Also, Artemi Panarin is now bald. Most surprising news of the day.

Scottyskis2

When the NY Rangers won the cup for the 4 th time in their history I will never forget this amazing Stanley cup finals vs van..Always beat time for any hockey fans in long Island
""I was living on the west coast at that time. Couldn't believe they broadcast game 7 on the radio. Listened to it on the way home from work. Watched the rest of the game on the ESPN telecast. The whole time, I was nervous as hell. The last half of the 3rd period was the longest 10 minutes of my life. Minutes seemed like days. When the clock struck 0:00, tears started streaming down my eyes. Never thought in my lifetime that this moment would happen. It took place on this day in 1994."""
😇😄😆😂🙂🙂
Full MSG game including post game on YouTube:

ne_skier

In interesting news, before coaching a single game for the team, Columbus Blue Jackets coach Mike Babcock resigned after a controversy arose in which he was allegedly "getting to know players" by scrolling through their phones for "hours". He and captain Boone Jenner said there was nothing weird going on, the Spittin Chiclets podcast
and possibly the NHLPA disagreed, and assistant Pascal Vincent is now the head coach. Here's how I imagine it went down:

View attachment image.mp4

ne_skier

Looks like this could be the end of the Arizona Coyotes. They still have a chance to bid on land for a new arena in Phoenix although looks like that's it for them if they don't win. Recent developments indicate they might not last till the auction. Wanted to see them work it out somehow, still hope they can.

4aprice

I for one would love to see Salt Lake get a hockey team. Good natural rivalries with Vegas and the Avs. It would also give me another venue to go see the Devils when they come out west and we are out in Colorado.

4aprice

Looks like its official Salt Lake City Utah is getting the Yotes. While I feel bad for the Zona fans congrats to Utah fans and hope that the team has found a good home. I see a lot of plusses in this, as has been pointed out Salt Lake's demographic looks great for the NHL. Natural rivalries with Vegas to the South and Denver to the east. Since its in the zone of my future winter plans it also gives me another venue to see the Devils, which is probably the only NJ thing I will miss in winter.

ne_skier

Watched a livestream of the last Yotes game being projected at a well-attended watch party in a nearby parking lot and while I feel horrible for the fans it honestly had to be done. Even if they won the Phoenix auction it would mean at least 3 more seasons in a 4,600-seat college arena which was too much for the league and player's association to stomach. That ownership group was a nightmare too - failing to come to an agreement to stay in Glendale, being horribly outfunded on the Tempe arena vote, etc. Just to rub it in one last time, after the team canceled the watch party outside the arena last minute (resulting in the relocation to the aforementioned parking lot, where Yotes fans hooked up a projector to a car battery to watch the game), we learned that the Coyotes left Shane Doan's retirement banner in the Glendale arena when they left - Glendale apparently asked the Coyotes to come pick it up, but nobody was sent. Luckily a fan found the banner in an arena dumpster and gave it to Doan at the team's last game.

It will be a modified relocation, somewhat similar to what the Cleveland Browns did decades ago. The players, contracts, and all hockey staff, coaching staff, and front office members will be moved to Salt Lake City where they will play under a new name and branding. Meruelo will retain the team's name, branding, trademarks, logos, history, etc and is being given 5 years to build an NHL-quality arena for a future Phoenix expansion team, likely to be Coyotes 2.0. I'd expect an eastern expansion franchise to counter that, likely in Atlanta.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Looks like its official Salt Lake City Utah is getting the Yotes. While I feel bad for the Zona fans congrats to Utah fans and hope that the team has found a good home. I see a lot of plusses in this, as has been pointed out Salt Lake's demographic looks great for the NHL. Natural rivalries with Vegas to the South and Denver to the east. Since its in the zone of my future winter plans it also gives me another venue to see the Devils, which is probably the only NJ thing I will miss in winter.
Yep. Folks are really excited.