• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Home audio.....watchu got?

Philpug

I agree and find it odd that almost any decent amp today is 7.1. Granted you can still use them in 7.1 fashion, but I honestly don't see the need for the 2 extra surround channels. Maybe if you had a large fancy media room........maybe

that's a good idea. Hadn't thought of that.

One my main issues with probably staying away from 7.1 set ups is just running all that cable. I don't intend on being in my current abode for a very long time, so I don't want to go through the trouble of snaking wires through walls and I find speaker wire to be a bit of an eyesore outside walls running along moldings. For this reason I actually gave some consideration to the newer Bose 2.1 systems, which do a surprisingly good job of creating surround from just two speakers. That said, I don't think you get what you pay for with Bose. The PSBs I bought were light years better for less money.

I DID run through the walls...

n540901137_662412_6670.jpg

deadheadskier

Staff member
nice. how difficult did you find it snaking the wires through the walls? I'm inexperienced at that.

bigbog

...Great to hear you're appreciating what changes your making. Will be replacing the Xterra'a stock radio/cd system in a while, will look forward to it!
I am using the second set of surrounds for..... garage.
Thanks Phil, never considered them there, but...sure would enjoy world news while working there!!!!! ..Ditto on the very orderly install....any maintenance should be easier...

Last edited:

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
nice. how difficult did you find it snaking the wires through the walls? I'm inexperienced at that.
It's not that hard, if you have access to an unfinished basement ceiling. Glow Rods and working near your ventilation or existing electrical outlets make it easier.

You can get nice faceplates like Philpug's at www.monoprice.com. That's where I go for most of my home A/V needs.

Philpug

It's not that hard, if you have access to an unfinished basement ceiling. Glow Rods and working near your ventilation or existing electrical outlets make it easier.

You can get nice faceplates like Philpug's at www.monoprice.com. That's where I go for most of my home A/V needs.

I got all my wires & plates here: http://www.homenetworksupply.com/ very happy with them.

Here is a (poor) picture of my HT:

n540901137_1203594_3368.jpg

Album pf the project is here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=49793&id=540901137&op=30

bvibert

Staff member
I DID run through the walls...

n540901137_662412_6670.jpg

That's a lot neater than my install job, which consists of holes drilled in the floor for the speaker wires that are run across the exposed floor joists and piping in the basement. It works out well though, the wires are covered by furniture.

WoodCore

Old school stuff for my stereo systems. I collect/maintain/upgrade vintage Dynaco components from the 60's and 70's mostly vacuum tube stuff but also have a decent amount of solid state pieces as well. I've managed to accumulate quite the collection and really only use a small percentage on a regular basis. Here's some pictures of my everyday setup.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

It's all vintage vacuum tube powered Dynaco equipment:

Stereo 70 Amp
PAS-3X Pre Amp
FM-1 Tuner

and run through a pair of Focal/JM Labs 706 bookshelf speakers. It sounds pretty sweet , at least to my ears! IMHO there's nothing like that big full sound you get from vacuum tubes.

wa-loaf

Old school stuff for my stereo systems. I collect/maintain/upgrade vintage Dynaco components from the 60's and 70's mostly vacuum tube stuff but also have a decent amount of solid state pieces as well. I've managed to accumulate quite the collection and really only use a small percentage on a regular basis. Here's some pictures of my everyday setup.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Stereo 70 Amp
PAS-3X Pre Amp
FM-1 Tuner

and run through a pair of Focal/JM Labs 706 bookshelf speakers. It sounds pretty sweet , at least to my ears! IMHO there's nothing like that big full sound you get from vacuum tubes.

I think you need one of these t-shirts:
http://www.geekculture.com/geekculturestore/webstore/tubesrock.html

bvibert

Staff member

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Stereo 70 Amp
PAS-3X Pre Amp
FM-1 Tuner

I don't know anything about audio equipment, but that's pretty bad ass!

gladerider

i have 3 rigs-

jazz rig----
CD Player -> Rega Planet 2000
Pre-Amp -> Sound Valves VTP 101i
Amp -> Sound Valves 70i
Speakers -> Snell C-IV
Interconnects -> Audioquest
Speaker Cable -> Signal

classical rig---
CD Player -> Oppo DV-980H
Pre-Amp -> Yamaha C80
Amp -> Yamaha M80
Speakers -> KEF Reference 107
Interconnects -> Audioquest
Speaker cables -> Gemini Supercable

small rig--
CD Player -> NAD 5100
Preamp -> Audiosource
Amp -> Adcom GFA-535
Speakers -> Harmon Kardon 4
Interconnects -> monster cable
Speakers -> monster cable

deadheadskier

Staff member
gladerider, what's your take on speaker cable? My brother tried justifying this cable he uses, forget the name, but like $12 a foot and swore it was a huge part of why his system performs so well.

gladerider

gladerider, what's your take on speaker cable? My brother tried justifying this cable he uses, forget the name, but like $12 a foot and swore it was a huge part of why his system performs so well.

it's an interesting question. in my opinion, it makes quite a bit of difference. i didn't believe the speaker cable argument at first. but, when i tried experimenting it with some options, i was convinced. my jazz rig currently has signal cables. these cost me around $200+. when i hooked these cables for the first time, it felt like someone took a windex and cleared up my sound stage. i was able to hear some details that i was never able to hear before. now, there are some people out there spending tens of thousands just on speaker cables. i am not willing to go that far, but i am going to spend a bit more next time to get silver resolution from signal.
(www.signalcable.com) his got some good products for reasonable price, unlike some companies changing you an arm and a leg. i believe your brother.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Stereo 70 Amp
PAS-3X Pre Amp
FM-1 Tuner

Sweet! There was a guy selling a Tube Tester at the flea market this weekend. My wife had no idea what a vacuum tube is or how it was replaced by the transistor.

How often do you blow a tube and can you still get replacements?

gladerider

Sweet! There was a guy selling a Tube Tester at the flea market this weekend. My wife had no idea what a vacuum tube is or how it was replaced by the transistor.

How often do you blow a tube and can you still get replacements?

Tubes are widely available. depending on what kind you are looking for, the cost vary really wide. some costing tens of dollars to some several hundred each. You don't really blow tubes often as some people think. Of course it depends on how often you listen. I listen to about 10-15 hours a week on my jazz rig. both sound valves are tubes. the tubes on these are several years old.

SKIQUATTRO

Denon AVR688 HDMI/switching reciever
Yamaha powerd sub
Polk Front/Rears
Russound Center (in ceiling)
Denon ASD-3N Networked IPOD Dock
Samsung 42" LCD
IR Blaster to all components in basment
Harmony One Touch Screen Remote
Zone 2 pushes to pair of Pheonix Gold out door speakers with sep vol control

deadheadskier

Staff member
How do you like the Russound? They're based out of the town, Edd, eastcoastpowderhound and I call home.