• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How are intermediate trails doing in Catskills, South Vt, Gore?

lerops

Planning a family trip this weekend. I know there is quite a bit of ice out there, but are the intermediate trails in better shape because of snowmaking?

ModeratorsL please feel free to move to another sub-forum if you think it fits better there.

Euler

Yesterday Mount Snow was awful. Conditions this weekend should be improved, but I'd still expect all open trails to be slick after the resorts have been open a few hours on a busy weekend. I'll be back at Mount Snow on Weds and can give an update re how the recovery process is coming along. Good luck!

yeggous

Yesterday Mount Snow was awful. Conditions this weekend should be improved, but I'd still expect all open trails to be slick after the resorts have been open a few hours on a busy weekend. I'll be back at Mount Snow on Weds and can give an update re how the recovery process is coming along. Good luck!

Really? How bad was it? Crotched was surprisingly good. Was a beautiful spring day.

drjeff

Agree! Yesterday was bulletproof to say the least! The freeze up happening around 5AM was a beast from a mountain operations standpoint, and the wind then blowing a good amount of whatever "soft" top surface off wasn't helping either!

Mount Snow hit the majority of the main mountain fan gun trails hard last night and those trails were MUCH better and very edgeable this morning in the 3hrs I was out.

I'd expect it to guns on during ANY window of snowmaking temps of at least 6hrs this week to get ready for the coming MLK weekend crowds.

I'd expect them to be back to about 45 trails and 2/3rds or so of their skiable acreage back by the weekend

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AlpineZone mobile app

Quietman

Really? How bad was it? Crotched was surprisingly good. Was a beautiful spring day.

Crotched did not get a hard freeze early Sunday AM, everything stayed soft and was able to drain fairly well.

ScottySkis

Catskills got rain to. Hunter will blow the most snow out of the Catskills but not many blue trails at Hunter.

bousquet19

I skied Gore Sunday morning, January 12.

Cloud was OK with some boilerplate and mush but generally an edge-able surface. Upper Twister (Lower was closed for race training) was good. Quicksilver was downright delightful!

I couldn't believe that it had rained so heavily less than 24 hours before.

Woody