• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How many hours do you work each week?

How many hours do you work a week?

• 70+ hours (I'm a workaholic...)

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • 60 - 70 hours

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • 50 - 60 hours

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • 40 - 50 hours

Votes: 29 40.8%
  • 30 - 40 hours

Votes: 20 28.2%
  • < 30 hours

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • SAH mom/dad...don't ask

Votes: 2 2.8%

• Total voters

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Depends on the week. Some weeks during the Summer, I am out of there after only 30 hours. During the busy times of the year, 60-70 is pretty standard. I would say a total year average is just barely under 50 per week excluding vacation days.

Skier75

ZERO , ZIP . NADA :D------------------------------i'm happily retired

Good for you! Can't wait till I'm there. This is the first full-time job I've had that has a 37.5 work week. All of my past jobs have been 40+, with overtime going to 40-50 hrs per week. I guess working for the state has "some" benefits. ;)

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Good for you! Can't wait till I'm there. This is the first full-time job I've had that has a 37.5 work week. All of my past jobs have been 40+, with overtime going to 40-50 hrs per week. I guess working for the state has "some" benefits. ;)
When I worked for the municipality, we started out with 37.5 hrs (before I was there) but they negotiated to save one of the union positions by downgrading us to 32.5 hrs/week. Considered full-time, but part-time hours. We also had a varying schedule in the last year I worked there.... Mon-Wed 8:30-4, Thur 8:30-6:30, and Fri 8:30-12:30. I prefer consistency, but it was kind of nice starting the weekend early.

hammer

This unscientific poll all appears to agree with what I thought...most people do in fact keep a somewhat "normal" schedule with periodic times where extra hours are needed.

I know that the commute can make a difference...my wife works 9-hour days but she only has a 10-minute commute, so her total time from leaving to getting home is about the same as mine.

I can also do some amount of work from home...nice for times when driving down to the office is difficult, but other times it can be more difficult to "unplug" from what is going on. At least I'm not a slave to a Blackberry...

krisskis

35 hours a week on average...work 3 days a week 12 3/4 hours a shift at night...7pm to 740 am...occasionally do the extra day here and there in the Pediatric ICU and ER when they need me..its nice to get away from my unit once ina while...OT sucks here...we dont make time and half until we work 40 hours, so if i do an extra shift, the first 4 hours are straight time...thats why i dont answer the phone at home :)

dmc

i don't really measure my job in hours...
Because i travel..

dmc

My guess is that you pull some long hours in any case...I know when I travel it's usually at least a 50-hour week.

I do...
For instance.. i did some work Monday - drove down to NYC - flew to London for 36 hours and got back last night around 3AM... Insanity...

I also have the ability to slip out and make some turns every other day or so.. Thats a good thing...

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
I chose 40-50, but my hours are not that regular. I've worked 19 hour days, 7 days a week and I've had weeks with no work. My favorite was still the day I was able to join a meeting on a conference call at Hunter, then when it went past the scheduled time, I just kept my headset on and went skiing. My boss and schedule are pretty flexible.

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
this poll is flawed. i work like theres no tomorrow durring the summer and come winter its summer vaction. everybody i work with knows that in winter i do all bussiness calls while i am riding. people don't even ask where i am anymore.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Still pretty much anywhere from 45 to 60. I work sales from home/car, so whatever it takes to make my numbers is what I put in. Right now, the economy sucks, far fewer people are going out to eat, so I work more than I would like doing anything I can do to drive sales in a down market.

lately we've been uber busy...we're up double digits in volume so far this year so I've been working more hours..the best thing about my job is that we close at noon on Fridays..I don't mind having an evening appointment early in the week because of that.

dmc

I hope to work as little as possible this week..

I have to drive to Stamford tomorrow... That will be a 6AM to 9PM day... sucks...