• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How often do you sharpen your edges?

skiNEwhere

I used to sharpen them once a year but I've been skiing a lot more this year and have hit quite a bit of thin cover early season as well.

Considering sharpening them again but I don't want to run the risk of over wearing the edges

Edit: posting from my phone, meant to post this in the skiing forum

drjeff

Depends on the snow surface that i'm skiing on. If i'm skiing a soft snow surface, and looks like i'll be skiing a soft snow surface in the coming days, then I may go 10 days or so before I either do a full tune of my edges or at minimum polish them with a gummi stone.

If i'm skiing a bunch of hard, icy snow, then I might sharpen my edges every 2 or 3 days of skiing.

If there's any damage to an edge of mine, then it's getting taken care of before the next day on the hill on those skis. reguardless of the anticipated firmness or softness of the snow the next time out.

My skis get waxed every 3 to 5 days of use

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Getting them sharpened once a year is okay if you're not too particular. You could take the burrs off with a stone and keep going. I carry one when skiing just in case.

MP0010.gif

Really good discussion here: http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthread.php/124381-Ski-Tuning-and-Waxing

planb420

I gummy stone my edges each time I wax which is about every 3-5 days out on a particular board. I tend to think if you catch the burrs early the edges stay nicer longer...prob all in my head though.:idea:

Bene288

jack97

I used to sharpen them once a year but I've been skiing a lot more this year and have hit quite a bit of thin cover early season as well.

Considering sharpening them again but I don't want to run the risk of over wearing the edges

Edit: posting from my phone, meant to post this in the skiing forum

I think people tend to worry about wearing out the edges. Or babying the skis. IMO, that's a reason for getting new skis. Better yet get the same model if you really like the ski, you can prolly get them cheap if you wait around.

btw, I really haven't sharpen my skis until it's really banged up. Although I have done base repair once a season.

Terry

Depends on the slope conditions. If it is soft snow I will let them go quite a while. But if I know that it will be firm then I will sharpen them.

yeggous

Short answer is when I need them. I can last 12 days in spring glop, but early season is really rough. Chalky, fresh manmade eats them up faster than boilerplate. I get a quick tune every 3 days during snowmaking season.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I'm not crazy about it so I normally do it every 10 - 15 times out or so. That might mean once or a few times per year. I usually always do them at least once at the start of each season.

planb420

Gotta earn your East Coast Ice card!
Defiantly stepped up my edge tuning game once I moved to CT from MI!

Savemeasammy

I think the shop put too much of a bevel on my edges this off season. It won't matter tomorrow, but I will have to rectify it for next week! Back to reality I guess...!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deadheadskier

Staff member
When I lived in Northern Vt and skied plenty of soft snow? Once at the start of the season.

Living and skiing primarily in NH these days? Twice a season.

If I had my own tuning set up (which I don't for a variety of reasons), I'd probably tune my skis every 4-5 days out on average. I do very much like a fresh tune when done right.