• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter 12/9 Half day report

I meant 12/10 (mods can you fix?)

Partly sunny, temps dropping into the 20's.

Tough snowmaking conditions last night as they had to shut down early. Temps were all over from 25 to 35.

Lifts opened at 9am. Upload via the Flyer, ski on F lift an Download B lift. We did ski all the way down to bottom, no problem. First run was empty and groomed. Second run was loose balls and frozen granular, many bodies standing in the trail.

They turned the guns back on around 10:00am. Made a big difference in short time. Bumps starting to form. Tomorrow should be real nice!

pictures here: https://picasaweb.google.com/104145002472724772294/HunterMountainOpeningDay20112012

Last edited:

k123

They turned the guns back on around 10:00am. Made a big difference in short time. Bumps starting to form. Tomorrow should be real nice!

Hopefully with snowmaking for the next 24 hours the conditions should improve at both Hunter and Belleayre for Sunday.

millerm277

It's supposed to be very cold tonight. Should have no problem making snow.

If you take a look at the webcam, it looks like every single gun they have on Kennedy/5th Ave that they have has been turned back on, clouds of snow everywhere.

tarponhead

Fun day, legs were toast per usual day one experience. I think I skied on every imaginable surface yesterday. Will be back Tuesday if I can.

JimG.

Staff member
I decided to get there later and hope the crowds would thin from attrition, but that never happened.

Hellgate headwall was as crowded as I think I have ever seen it, bodies everywhere. And I had my 9 year old James with me too. After a run or two, we got accustomed to the people and it was fine.

The best snow I found late in the day was the right side of midstation right down to the bottom. Snow was silky by day's end after temps dropped a bit.

Thinking of heading back up tomorrow.