• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter Improvements & Season Pass Question

x10003q

the quad became very unreliable over the prior two seasons, take it from one of those who've used it on a daily basis ... having another way out is very important to the consumer and walking out is an inexcusable option in my opinion - yes it was a one-time occurrence, but one that will not easily be forgotten ... safety should come before fresh lines and the dreaded march could have turned out much worse, imagine if there were a shelter back there where folks could ride out any lift/bus issues which could (and will) arise ;-)

I do not know too many ski areas with duplicate lifts once you get off the main face of a mountain. Maybe the lift will be installed with a fuel backup engine. Installing this lift will make Hunter a much better place to ski.

dmc

I do not know too many ski areas with duplicate lifts once you get off the main face of a mountain. Maybe the lift will be installed with a fuel backup engine. Installing this lift will make Hunter a much better place to ski.

I think the old Z had a backup diesle..
the day of the "Death march" it wasn't working so well.. It ran enough to clear the chair.. at least.. :)
I was riding OB on Rusk and came down to the chair as some of the last were leaving and I think they were still trying to start it..
I got a ride from a friend.. We picked up as many as we could. Mostly young girls from a visiting Korean Church College group.. don't judge... haha..

oakapple

I wouldn't describe "variety" as one of Belleayre's positive attributes. Virtually every run has the same terrain profile--its one big long ridge.
The runs do vary considerably, though. The problem with the layout is not that it's a big long ridge, but that most of the advanced runs ease into intermediate runs with a long ride back to the chair.

zyk

If I skied in the Catskills a ton, I'd get a Hunter pass and ski on good snow days at Plattekill (and maybe throw in the occasional Belleayre trip, especially when it bumps up all over in the Spring).

This is exactly what I did this past season. It worked out well overall, but by mid Feb I'd mostly stopped going to Hunter and didn't come back until the warm weather. Maybe just too many days on the same hill... Same thing will probably happen anywhere. Quite frankly I'd probably risk a Plattekill pass if it was cheaper and I could get out on the weekends more.

ta&idaho

This is exactly what I did this past season. It worked out well overall, but by mid Feb I'd mostly stopped going to Hunter and didn't come back until the warm weather. Maybe just too many days on the same hill... Same thing will probably happen anywhere. Quite frankly I'd probably risk a Plattekill pass if it was cheaper and I could get out on the weekends more.

Have you considered skipping a pass altogether and spending more days on mountains beyond the Catskills? You're not going to find a Catskills-only pass strategy that offers more variety than what you did this year. No offense to Belleayre, but if you were bored by Hunter by mid Feb you'll be bored by Belleayre even sooner.