• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

I love being able to see both Jay and Burke out my Window...

awesome!!!! I miss having a view of Mount Masfield and Camels hump..now I have a few of a parking lot..

Zand

??????

You aren't living on campus @ LSC?

I am. Obviously Burke is off to the east and a couple people told me the peak visible to the north is Jay. Not totally sure it's Jay but if not it's close enough anyway lol.

I took a ride to Smugglers Notch today... didn't bring the cam so no pics. That road is a lot of fun with the waterfalls. Also drove through the thriving metropolis of Montpelier which is smaller than St Johnsbury...

Zand

Why? It's just a bunch of green mountains right now lol. I'll be posting pics when we get our first snow (hopefully within a month) for you flatlanders (not to say I'm not one still 5 months out of the year) but there's nothing special right now.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I am. Obviously Burke is off to the east and a couple people told me the peak visible to the north is Jay. Not totally sure it's Jay but if not it's close enough anyway lol.

I took a ride to Smugglers Notch today... didn't bring the cam so no pics. That road is a lot of fun with the waterfalls. Also drove through the thriving metropolis of Montpelier which is smaller than St Johnsbury...

don't be harshin' on Mo-town now. I dig Montpelier

thetrailboss

Staff member

I grew up in Lyndonville, and have family there. Unless LSC has erected a very tall high rise in the last two months, I'm pretty sure that you can't see Jay from the campus. What you're probably looking at is Bald Mountain, which is actually taller than Burke by a few feet, but is quite a ways north. Great hiking up there. PM me for some great hikes...some known, some not.

Nice! St. Jay is actually smaller than Montpelier, believe it or not. May not feel like it, but it is.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Just checked the net and Montpelier is about 8000 folks and St. Jay is 7500. I would not have guessed it was that close. :eek: Lyndon has 5-6000.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Yea, definitely no way to see Jay from Lyndonville. Sheffield Heights and numerous other mountains would be in the way. The view from Burke outside my office window when I worked up there was great.

Good luck on your studies at LSC!

thetrailboss

Staff member
I'm expecting lots of TR's from Burke and hiking at my old stomping grounds.....

And looking forward to seeing you at SB this winter.

Zand

I grew up in Lyndonville, and have family there. Unless LSC has erected a very tall high rise in the last two months, I'm pretty sure that you can't see Jay from the campus. What you're probably looking at is Bald Mountain, which is actually taller than Burke by a few feet, but is quite a ways north. Great hiking up there. PM me for some great hikes...some known, some not.

Nice! St. Jay is actually smaller than Montpelier, believe it or not. May not feel like it, but it is.

I suppose that may be it then. I was thinking that it wasn't really the right shape to be Jay, but a few people told me it was. Oh well, still damn close to it anyway.

And I love it up here... weathers been great, school has been awesome so far. Definitely looking forward to winter and many days at Burke, the Bush, and lots of others; but it's gonna be a great fall too, looking forward to the views from here during foliage season.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trekchick

worthless.gif

thetrailboss

Staff member
I suppose that may be it then. I was thinking that it wasn't really the right shape to be Jay, but a few people told me it was. Oh well, still damn close to it anyway.

And I love it up here... weathers been great, school has been awesome so far. Definitely looking forward to winter and many days at Burke, the Bush, and lots of others; but it's gonna be a great fall too, looking forward to the views from here during foliage season.

Yes, enjoy the girls! Oops, hit the "edit" and not the "quote" button. Sorry about that....

ERJ-145CA

I have a nice view of Hidden Valley in Jersey from the barbershop I use but I haven't taken a picture yet so I won't start a thread about it.

I always thought it so interesting that Montpelier was such a small capital yet Barre right next door could qualify as a small city.

I visit Barre every year to visit with our few remaining VT suppliers(we mostly get china granite due to cost) and wow is that town a shithole...but Montpelior is pretty nice..I always thought Burlington should be the capitol..