• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Intrawest being acquired by Aspen

dlague

(Some) Details here: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-intrawest-resort-m-a-aspen-skiing-idUSKBN17C15C

Response to Vail's expansion into the East?

On the lift at Stratton a few weeks ago, I overheard someone saying that the folks from Vail had been poking their head around the resort...

Maybe they were? Maybe they meant Aspen?

Either way, going to be interesting.

-w

Must have meant Aspen for sure! I find this interesting. While I am sure this deal was not based on Stratton as a resort but with Tremblant and Stratton tied to markets like NY and Montreal and their perceived clientele probably helps to drive more traffic to Aspen.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out since the Rocky Mountains Super Pass had both Intrwest and POWDR resorts and the Max Pass was based on a partnership between Intrawest, POWDR and Boyne. Ya, they are committed to the up coming season but then what? By the time this deal is finalized most will have committed to a pass product of some kind.

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/04/10/steamboat-winter-park-ski-resorts-acquired/

4aprice

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out since the Rocky Mountains Super Pass had both Intrwest and POWDR resorts and the Max Pass was based on a partnership between Intrawest, POWDR and Boyne. Ya, they are committed to the up coming season but then what? By the time this deal is finalized most will have committed to a pass product of some kind.

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/04/10/steamboat-winter-park-ski-resorts-acquired/

For me this is the big question. I enjoyed the Max Pass this year and renewed for next year, because of the east - west aspect still living here on the east coast, but down the line who knows. Add Aspen to the Rocky Mountain Super Pass and it instantly rivals the Epic Pass. Could we see tiered Passes like Epic? Currently RMSP has Winter Park, Copper, and Eldora with add on days at Steamboat and Crested Butte. Not sure what Copper is but a Copper , Winter Park, Eldore Pass could be 1 tier with a top tier pass including Steamboat and Aspen. Would love to see the relationship with Boyne continue as well. Solitude has connections to Intrawest via their village developement, Brighton is Boyne. Add those 2 to the RMSP and you got the Utah connection to go up against Park City. Will be interesting next March.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

VTKilarney

If this is meant to compete with Vail, what does this mean for the price of a Stratton season pass?

prsboogie

Square inch for square inch the douchebaggery at Stratton (mainly on Saturdays mid season) is intolerable. I two have no issue with people who have money but when you act like a complete douche it bothers me.

Yes skiing is an expensive sport/passion but it's never been about status for me. Maybe because I have none, but I'm a firm believer in we all pull our pants on the same way and it doesn't matter what brand they are!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

drjeff

My last straw at Stratton was this season when there were people literally walking into me because they weren't looking. Both skiers with and without skis on while I'm either standing or skating on my board. I even hit a guy head-on because he decided he'd try and walk uphill on his skis instead of go with the flow with people in lift line. I was going slow and had almost stopped, but after seeing what had happened, I wished I kept my speed up and lowered my shoulder instead. Oh, and he didn't apologize for slamming his skis into my board or even stop to see what he did... just kept on his merry way.
I'd highly recommend staying far away from the Orlando area theme parks where I'm at with my family now!! [emoji6] [emoji6] [emoji16]

I've been walked into more times than I can count the last few days by people of all shapes, sizes, nationalities and level of Florida sun induced body odor than I can count!! [emoji33] [emoji33] [emoji33] [emoji33]

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

dlague

Square inch for square inch the douchebaggery at Stratton (mainly on Saturdays mid season) is intolerable. I two have no issue with people who have money but when you act like a complete douche it bothers me.

Yes skiing is an expensive sport/passion but it's never been about status for me. Maybe because I have none, but I'm a firm believer in we all pull our pants on the same way and it doesn't matter what brand they are!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Amen!

drjeff

If this is meant to compete with Vail, what does this mean for the price of a Stratton season pass?
For this coming season, probably nothing, as I doubt they'd rescind any sold passes yet, suddenly possibly charge more from here on out this pass sales season, or possibly issue a refund to those sold of it was going to be less....

Jcb890

I'd highly recommend staying far away from the Orlando area theme parks where I'm at with my family now!! [emoji6] [emoji6] [emoji16]

I've been walked into more times than I can count the last few days by people of all shapes, sizes, nationalities and level of Florida sun induced body odor than I can count!! [emoji33] [emoji33] [emoji33] [emoji33]

I went when I was younger and still wasn't that into it. I have absolutely no desire to ever go back. Florida in general isn't the place for me - too hot and humid all of the time. When we did Disney though, it was during summer break here in MA though, so we probably had you beat from a crowd and body odor standpoint! :lol:

dlague

Hate Florida with a passion! Place is loaded with old people, too humid, too many man made tourist traps that are too expensive!

BenedictGomez

Foreigners who dont wear deodorant + Florida sun/temps = horrific smells.

Avoid the Orlando Premium Outlets, it's teeming with those people.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Very interesting. I will be diving into the details on my flight back west. My initial reaction is that this is a reaction to Vail. Didn't Intrawest have some really bad financial issues a few years back? What is "left" of Intrawest's portfolio? Stratton? Steamboat?

Aspen I think has remained a fairly "local" enterprise managing their four resorts that make up the "Aspen/Snowmass" brand. This is an interesting move. Perhaps to create a flow from the east to their resorts.

dlague

very interesting. I will be diving into the details on my flight back west. My initial reaction is that this is a reaction to vail. Didn't intrawest have some really bad financial issues a few years back? What is "left" of intrawest's portfolio? Stratton? Steamboat?

Aspen i think has remained a fairly "local" enterprise managing their four resorts that make up the "aspen/snowmass" brand. This is an interesting move. Perhaps to create a flow from the east to their resorts.

steamboat

winter park

tremblant

stratton

snowshoe

blue mountain

snoseek

Here's to hoping the RMSP as we know it lives on as its a wicked good deal with a great variety of areas geographically located perfectly if you're in Colorado and looking to chase snow.

Glenn

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

I've found the people at Stratton and Snow to be fairly similar. Mostly the same demographic from what I can tell. We tend to ski on Sundays. Or head over later in the day if it's a Saturday.

Domeskier

Very interesting. I will be diving into the details on my flight back west. My initial reaction is that this is a reaction to Vail. Didn't Intrawest have some really bad financial issues a few years back? What is "left" of Intrawest's portfolio? Stratton? Steamboat?

When was the Vail deal announced? A couple months ago? I would expect that the Aspen/Intrawest deal was in the works long before that. Maybe the Vail deal lit a fire under the parties to reach an agreement, but sales of large public companies generally don't happen very quickly.

cdskier

When was the Vail deal announced? A couple months ago? I would expect that the Aspen/Intrawest deal was in the works long before that. Maybe the Vail deal lit a fire under the parties to reach an agreement, but sales of large public companies generally don't happen very quickly.

I was thinking the same thing. The Aspen/Intrawest deal has probably been in discussion before the Vail/Stowe deal was announced. Due diligence takes time if done properly.