• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Introducing AlpineZone.com's "Resident" Boot Fitter!

Status
Not open for further replies.

trtaylor

Shell sizing

Jeff,

Thanks for your reply. I have another question; when shell sizing a pair of boots, should I be wearing ski socks? Or do you shell size with bare feet?

Tim

Skiiboot

Tim I like to see the shell fit done with no socks, if you use one make the sock thin.

Jeff

bvibert

Staff member
Speaking of footbeds, what type (material/brand) do you use and/or recommend? Are there different types that are better for different kinds of feet?

Skiiboot

Brian,

I use the insta-print brand footbeds for ski boots and for cycling shoes. For running, walking and other sports I used different EVA material to make the orthotic. I try not to use things that can rot in a ski boot. I have used just about every footbed system and used many different materials. What you what is a material that is apx the same thickness as the stock insole. Next a material that when warm will match the foot shape. And a material that is easy to use so if you have a problem it's easy to work on. Insta-print has been very good to me, now there are several companys that make similar products, that's OK to use It all goes back to the fitter is he good or bad. Footbeds and a good boot fit is something that will change your skiing. Go to people that understand where you are in you skiing and where you want to go. As far as how they are built I like to use Semi-weighted. Systems that you are standing on gives a cast of a promated foot unless the fitter is very good or lucky, A non-weighted system is when your feet are hanging, tough to get right every time. Semi-weighted is easy and you can get the same product every time if you want to make changes you can. If you want to know more about this please feel free to call me. There is a lot to systems and materials.

Thank

Jeff Bokum
Profile Orthotic Center
603-491-4917

NYDrew

Jeff, a follow up on my last question. My current foot beds are ones from my old boots and adapted into my new ones (they are instaprints) Gone skiing today for the first time this season, I was able to identify "hot spots" in the boot, one of which is very hot. After using a marker to trace the spots through the day (yeah, i have marked my own foot to show the fitter tomorrow), I think that these large areas are just a result of one little spot.

So two questions - is it possible that a thick callous can be acting in such a way that it cuts off circulation and cause pain over a broad area. The hot spot seems to be where my feet are very callous. If yes, how can I remove a callous without a podiatrist, altough I guess that I could use him as a last resort?

Second Question is : I already paid this guy $80 to heat fit my liner and retro-fit my footbeds. What is a fair price I should be charged for this additional work, assuming I need the shell blown out like you said. Should it be free?

I'm adding a third question:

Skiiboot

NYDrew, A callous is a result of skin that is damaged when the skin rubs on something over and over that is how the skin repairs itself. That being said if the callous is in the right place and it's big enough it could push the foot around and slow circulation. The location would have to be in just the right place. Several things have to be just right for that to happen. A callous will slowly start to go away if you stop foot motion in your footwear, everyday shoes, boots, ect. Pay close attention to the footbeds/Orthotics in all your footwear.
It's hard to say how much it will cost but from what you have said a stretch should be around 15-20$ and about 1$ min of work time. Some shop go to 1.5$ a min of work time. Every shop is different hard to tell you price.
Your fitter should have said something to you when he/she did there exam on your foot.

I hope this helps

Jeff

ts01

I tried to post this yesterday but as best I can tell, it isn't up. Maybe I hit preview instead of submit. So apologies if this in fact is a repeat.

Anyway, here's a few bootfitting questions for the expert and anyone else who'd like to weigh in.

The questions concern a pair of Atomic "B-Ride" or "Beta Ride" 9.50 boots that I picked up in new condition at a recent ski swap. Size = 27.5. Here's a link to a site showing the boot: http://www.outdoorreview.com/cat/ski...3_1544crx.aspx

My info: 5'9", 175 lbs, 44 y/o male skier. Street shoes: 9.5. Current boots: Technica Rival RX9 in 27.5, about 4 seasons old (70-80 ski days). Wide forefoot, high arch; typically wear New Balance EE running shoes. Ski mostly east coast groomers / crud; advanced but not expert skier; prefer fast, aggressive skiing but also turn it down when skiing with my kids.

Questions:

1 - am I correct thinking the B-Ride is a good choice, based on good results with the Rival RX9 (after a little tweaking of buckles and adjustments at the local shop)?

2 - am I correct thinking the B-RIde will be a higher-performance boot - a little stiffer and more aggressive?

3 - Here's the big question. B-Rides seemed perfectly comfortable walking around for 1/2 hour with crappy stock footbeds. Then I transferred my "zip-fit" footbeds from the Rivals to the B-Rides, and walked around for 1/2 hour in the house with much arch pain and cramped little and 2d toes. Yuck. Painful, can't imagine skiing like this, thought about grinding out the front of the boot, or getting a custom footbed. So as I was pulling the Atomic apart to put the footbeds back in the Rivals, out popped this black plastic insert that went beneath the Atomic's liner. It was on the bottom of the boot, above the shell and beneath the footbed, and is probably 3-4 mm thick, flat on the top with little ridges underneath. Just to experiment, I kept that black plastic out of the boot, then put back in the liner and Zipfit footbed, and voila! It feels PERFECT now. Now I'm thinking no grinding, no custom footbeds, it feels just right without the insert under the liner. So my question is, what's wrong with this picture? Does that plastic insert under the foot, between the shell and liner, do anything so important that I ought to keep it in, and go to a real bootfitter to grind out the forefoot or get custom footbeds? Or can I save a little money here and get what I think will be the higher performance of the Atomics, without spending extra bucks?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

highpeaksdrifter

Hi Jeff,
I have a problem that is caused from wearing my ski boots that probably is not fit related, but I thought I’d take a shot anyway. My feet sweat like crazy from skiing. Hours after skiing the tops of my feet as well as the front of my ankle get very itchy. As the season goes on the problem gets worse. When I ski several days in a row the problem gets real bad. Red blotchs that I scratch so hard they sometimes bleed. I’ve been to the doctor for it. It’s definitely not athletes foot. They gave me some salve, which helps, but doesn’t cure. I wear thin socks. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
HPD

Skiiboot

ts01,
1st question, the new atomics are a bit stiffer but the rival is a very good skiing boot if set right. So the atomics have"big shoes to fill" or boots. The plastic part you pulled out is the boot board or zappa. This is important to keep your feet dry and off the ground. I would recommend that you go see a good bootfitter to get the boot to fit the right way. I can give you some names if you would like. Custom footbeds shouldn't be something that you have to do it should be done because it will improve your skiing and comfort. Without seeing you and the boot it's hard to give up a 100% answer but hear I go. You have a couple of boot problems and I think you need a little room but I don't think it's in the toe. I don't think your heel is all the way back in the boot. You may need some width. But that should be determand after you know you heel is all the way back. Sorry I don't think there is an easy fix on this one.

Thanks

Jeff

Skiiboot

HPD,
Tough question, I have a couple things you can try no promises. Try antipersprent on your foot, maybe if you can slow the sweating. Change your socks at lunch keep dry sock on. Question for you is this a new problem, or not. Maybe it's a material in the socks or in the liner of the boot. I have seen this problem and we for the PT had an allegy to the material in the liner.
Get back to me.

Jeff

ts01

Thanks Jeff. Just spent another half hour in them w/o the base board, and it feels just right. I tried to flex forward as much as possible and the heel stayed down pretty well. But, the threat of wet feet makes me want to see a bootfitter. Can you recommend any in NYC or Westchester County, NY?

Thanks again.

Skiiboot

ts01

I would recommend Heino's in NJ it's a little out of your way but there good. If you can see Greg he's a personal friend, sometimes I work in his shop. If you go there tell him I sent you. He will take care of you.

Thanks

Jeff

Greg

Staff member
Some great questions everybody! Keep 'em coming. Also, thank you Jeff for taking the time to answer them.

BTW, Jeff is offering AlpineZone visitors a 10% discount for all boot fitting services offered at his lab:

CLICK HERE FOR A PRINTABLE COUPON

Click that link, print the coupon and call Jeff for an appointment. :beer:

Skiiboot

If you come east I would recommend me but I would have you go to bootfitters.com there should be a shop closer to you.

Thanks

Jeff

JimG.

Staff member
YardSaleDad said:
JimG. said:
If you've never had a personal boot fitter, get thee to Jeff (or your friendly neighborhood boot fitter)!
Since we are from the same neck of the woods, is there someone local that you would recommend?

:dunce:

Check your PM's :wink: .

hammer

Question for Jeff:

How often do you work with less experienced skiers? Is it really worth the time and expense to get custom footbeds if you have relatively low-end boots?

Skiiboot

hammer,

I work with a lot of skiers that are not that experienced, Some of the biggest changes I have made with skiers happen in this group. Footbeds will help in comfort,control, and feel. Footbeds also will transfer over to a new boot,when that time comes. Balance will put your shoulders and hips where they need to be over your boots, in order to get you in and out of turns. If your balance isn't set right It's tough to improve in your skiing. The last thing is canting this gives you the ability to have a flat ski. If your body doesn't line up and the boots are not set to work for you this will hurt your skiing, beginnier or expert.

Thanks

Jeff

Greg

Staff member
Excellent question, hammer. Thanks Jeff!

Charlie Schuessler

Jeff's shop is listed in the Americas Best Bootfitters ad in Ski & Skiing magazines.

Way to go Jeff!

Also, the boot feels great since that adjustment you made.

Many thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.