• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

iOS 7

Edd

Anybody switch yet? Impressions?

I updated my iPad 4 on day one and messed with it for a bunch of hours by now. At this point I'm sort of neutral about it. It's cool to have a new interface to play with. The swipe up control center was a desparately needed improvement and I'm pleased with that. iTunes Radio is slowly growing on me. iMessage, graphically, seems like a step back. The minor animations it has are stuttery, which is not very Apple-like.

I'm holding off on updating my iPhone 4S until the dust settles. Based on what I've read, I expect the changes in the phone to be a better improvement than in the tablet but we'll see.

wa-loaf

Working great on my 4s and several apps feel faster (mail in particular) not a huge fan of the pastels, but I do like the flatness of it.

skiNEwhere

I upgraded to it because I bought an iphone when 6.1.3 came out, which wasn't jailbroken since the programmers were saving their exploits for 7.0. I'm hoping apple didn't fix the exploits and 7.0 can be jailbroken because I really want to tether my phone.

Edd

"Working great on my 4s and several apps feel faster (mail in particular) not a huge fan of the pastels, but I do like the flatness of it."

That's good to hear. I was going to wait for a couple of weeks (phone is important) but I'm seeing little negative press about the 4S performance with the upgrade. Surprised. I'll probably do it Sunday or Monday if nothing changes my mind.

wa-loaf

"Working great on my 4s and several apps feel faster (mail in particular) not a huge fan of the pastels, but I do like the flatness of it."

That's good to hear. I was going to wait for a couple of weeks (phone is important) but I'm seeing little negative press about the 4S performance with the upgrade. Surprised. I'll probably do it Sunday or Monday if nothing changes my mind.

Just back up the phone first and make sure you have at least 3gigs of free space. I used iTunes to do the upgrade as it was much faster.

gmcunni

i don't like the color scheme, seems cartoonish.

things i used to do one way i have to do another, i'll get used to it eventually.

Geoff

Like usual, I'm going to wait a couple of months before upgrading. That's what I did last year with the Google Map-free iOS 6.0. I waited for Google to release a Map application and for Apple to fix the worst of their bugs. I also want to wait until I'm sure that all my essential applications run on iOS 7. There's usually a several month lag.

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I've noticed a difference on my battery life. I restored it after the update and cleared a lot out (pics, music etc) and that seemed to help.

I like the update, but I always like change. It makes it interesting.

Edd

I've noticed a difference on my battery life. I restored it after the update and cleared a lot out (pics, music etc) and that seemed to help.

I like the update, but I always like change. It makes it interesting.

I'm considering backing up and restoring as new prior to the update on the phone. Some people swear by that. Depends on how lazy I'm feeling. My laziness is legendary.

I agree about liking change.

dmc

Digging it...

Some stuff to help battery life..
One thing is Background App Refresh..I turned it off for all apps except a couple..
Also don't use the animated backgrounds..

But you know how it goes.. There will be a battery fix released soon to take care of lose goosey battery usage...

dmc

Also turn off the parralax effect..
Settings -> General ->Accessibility -> Reduce Motion

Edd

Put it on the 4S 2 hours ago. Graphically, it works better than the iPad, somehow. I assume it's the smaller screen. No apparent issues. Looks pretty tight.

dmc

iPhone thefts have been a real issue in NYC..

Glenn

Have it running on two iphones (5) and an ipad mini. I like it over ios6. I was worried it was going to be a bit sterile, but it's not as bad as I thought. I don't like how it shows folders on your screen, but that's a minor gripe.

Battery life seems to be slightly worse on the iPad...but sometimes rebooting it brings the level up. Overall, I'm happy with it. I like the access from the lock screen and the swipe up to close is slick. They did a good job with this one. The music streaming is good too. Not many commercials so far.

Edd

Have it running on two iphones (5) and an ipad mini. I like it over ios6. I was worried it was going to be a bit sterile, but it's not as bad as I thought. I don't like how it shows folders on your screen, but that's a minor gripe.

Battery life seems to be slightly worse on the iPad...but sometimes rebooting it brings the level up. Overall, I'm happy with it. I like the access from the lock screen and the swipe up to close is slick. They did a good job with this one. The music streaming is good too. Not many commercials so far.

Glenn? Where have you been? There's nothing more important than posting your opinions on the internet and I haven't seen you post in a while.