• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

iOS6 anybody yet?

skijay

Did anybody update their iPhones today? Comments on it?

gmcunni

i upgraded my 4s to ios 6. i barely notice a difference. my wifi was acting up after i upgraded but i rebooted and it seemed fine since.

i had google maps before the upgrade, it is still there and seems to be working

wa-loaf

i had google maps before the upgrade, it is still there and seems to be working

Good to know. I was under the impression it was removed and there was a google maps IOS6 app in the works.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I thought going to iOS made you lose google maps.

Steve Jobs would probably roll in his grave with the way they released Maps. so un-apple like.

dmc

I'm all installed on my iPhone..

You lose integration with Google Maps and YouTube. You just need to download YouTube app for free. Works the same..

Not sure what the issue is with the maps.. Seems to work fine - I like it better than the old map app.. Has more features.
It could just be my area but the mapping seems to be fine in my tests.
I like the do not disturb feature.. Also the privacy stuff is simplified and in one place... Picture sharing screen is now nice and integrated with everything allowed to share...
The send to voicemail/reply with text... Passbook is cool needs more apps to work with it..

i like it... Makes me not want to rush to get the iPhone5..

o3jeff

Updated mine this morning, haven't had a lot of time to check out the new features.

Remember Gmcunni, the battery will never be as good as you're Blackberry was.

Geoff

I haven't upgraded. I know enough people who have that I'm playing with their phones to see if there are any show-stoppers. Google Maps is the big one since I rely on it for business travel.

SkiFanE

No way. Didn't take the last IOS 5 update after my teens reported issues after she did, so I'm now 2 behind. Won't upgrade until forced...not sure what it will get me, but doesn't sound like anything positive and much negative. I love google maps.

dmc

I just tested the maps down to NYC from the Catskills...
Then tested the walk portion...
Worked fine..

Haven't noticed any battery issues..
Traveling to LA tomorrow - that will be the true test since I use my iPhone constantly while on business trips..

Will retest the map...

dmc

Maps worked traveling from El Segundo to Hollywood in LA with no issues..

Edd

Just used Maps for something super simple in Waltham, MA and it was good. I'm liking the Yelp integration.

Downtown Boston would be the stress test. I haven't seen GPS function there without issues.

dmc

Walking worked OK today in Manhattan.. i still need to get used to the GUI..
Was using the public trans option - had the subway steps all loaded up and when I got downstairs i accidentally refreshed the map but there was no internet.. So I lost the map.. i use the walking and public transportation maps more than the cars usually.. Great for NYC...