• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Is Magic Mountain a Resort or Not??

Is Magic Mountain a Resort?

• Yes

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • No

Votes: 14 82.4%

• Total voters

4aprice

Spoken like a true K-Mart skier! :).

Magic used to be a resort, when I first skied there as a kid in the early 70's. Dostal's was a first-class mountain Inn and there were a bunch of other crowded places and Inn's back then. Then, they lost their panache, I guess. But, the skiing never changed or faltered. It was and still has the best terrain in Southern Vermont.

Resort has become a pretty generic term. Magic not only has condos but a little hotel with good food (had a meal there in February), its just on a small scale. I think much the same of Bolton Valley and I bet most would consider it a resort. Closing certain days may take it out of the resort stature as it effects weekly vacationers. The mountain as everyone agrees kicks ass. Here's to hoping for a snowy season and ass kicking this year.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I would define a ski resort as a mountain that has on mountain lodging along with a restaurant and some non-skiing things to do (i.e. pool, game room, etc). You should generally be able to show up at a resort and not get back into your car during your stay (unless you want to go somewhere else).

I'd define the Strattons, Okemo, even Sugarbush, Loon, as "destination" ski areas. When I think of resorts, I think of Vail, the Caribbean, Disney World and even a cruise ship. these are veritable "cities", with many, many restaurants and entertainment options, tons of things to do, several swimming pools, room service, shopping of all sorts including Gucci, attended activities and events, you get the idea...

Last edited: