• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Is there a doctor in the house!? Busted clavicle

Bene288

So unfortunately my girlfriend has a broken collar bone. She's a hockey goalie and took a 90+ mph slap shot to her left clavicle during a pickup game. We freeze all of the pucks, so it was rock hard. It just managed to find a hole in the chest protector. When I was a kid I had the same injury, caused by a line drive in baseball but I can't remember how I coped with it. Does anyone have any tips or info on how to deal with the pain?

She can't move anything, can hardly walk without the area of impact having spasms, having issues breathing, etc etc. The ER gave her a sling and some hydrocodone and sent us on our way. The biggest thing I'm worried about is how she'll sleep. Has anyone else had this injury? I know it's very common with skiers and riders.

I appreciate any help, thanks all!

gmcunni

very sorry to hear. i had same injury but my symptoms were nothing like what you describe. i basically left the ER without having had pain killers. took some extra strength tylonol that night at home (it happened around 6 PM). i stuck with over the counter meds rather than the prescription stuff until i had the surgery.

i've not heard others with similar injury have breathing issues. only severe symptom i recall was if i moved too much i feel the bones shift (my fracture was displaced). it was more freaky than painful tho.

ScottySkis

So unfortunately my girlfriend has a broken collar bone. She's a hockey goalie and took a 90+ mph slap shot to her left clavicle during a pickup game. We freeze all of the pucks, so it was rock hard. It just managed to find a hole in the chest protector. When I was a kid I had the same injury, caused by a line drive in baseball but I can't remember how I coped with it. Does anyone have any tips or info on how to deal with the pain?

She can't move anything, can hardly walk without the area of impact having spasms, having issues breathing, etc etc. The ER gave her a sling and some hydrocodone and sent us on our way. The biggest thing I'm worried about is how she'll sleep. Has anyone else had this injury? I know it's very common with skiers and riders.

I appreciate any help, thanks all!

I'm really sorry about your girlfriend, that Dr. Should have gave her maybe prescription for the pain, if I was her if it hurts go to emergency room and find better advice or even medical websites, my dad is a pharmacist but he retired few years ago. I know you think I'm pot head but pot does help with pain.

Bene288

Her bone didn't actually break until she got to the bench. We all heard it crack. Sounded like popping a bottle of champagne. Pretty gross. I think she's just so shocked that every muscle around the area tensed right up. She seems to be better breathing wise. She's staying pretty doped up on the hydro condones. Just hoping she won't need surgery.

And Scotty, organic medicine is a very good idea. I didn't even think about that. That would definitely help her with the pain.

I remember when I broke mine, it was pretty bad, but nothing like what she is going through. I don't even think I went to the hospital.

JimG.

Staff member
Her bone didn't actually break until she got to the bench. We all heard it crack. Sounded like popping a bottle of champagne. Pretty gross. I think she's just so shocked that every muscle around the area tensed right up. She seems to be better breathing wise. She's staying pretty doped up on the hydro condones. Just hoping she won't need surgery.

And Scotty, organic medicine is a very good idea. I didn't even think about that. That would definitely help her with the pain.

I remember when I broke mine, it was pretty bad, but nothing like what she is going through. I don't even think I went to the hospital.

Don't go overboard with the organic meds...yes, they help with pain, but they also promote blood flow which is good for healing but it will make her shoulder feel like it's pounding and it will be very difficult to sleep.

LiquidFeet

There are meds that can treat the pain other than hydrocodone. The problem with it is severe long-term constipation. If this becomes a threat, switch to another drug. I broke my clavicle on March 18 and was given hydrocodone. It solved the pain but I thought I was going to explode after a week. Not-not-not good. I wish I'd stopped taking it days earlier. By ten days I was really really worried. Be careful with that stuff.

The clavicle will heal by itself over time if it's positioned correctly. The pain will subside eventually. But she needs to be getting care from a good orthopedic surgeon who takes X-rays to check the progress of the healing. My doctor wouldn't make any speculations on the rotator cuff issues I was so worried about until the pain subsided and the X-rays showed some healing. By then my worries had abated anyway. It ended up being just the clavicle.

I've heard since that this bone is very easy to break. It's my second time around. First time I was 5 years old. I still remember the specific type of discomfort that stays with you for the long slow heal, and it returned with this second break, just like the first time. Interesting way to relive a childhood event.

Best of luck to you and your GF.

Bene288

Thanks all for the advice. She's doing well. The condones are keeping the pain at bay. She's prescribed a narcotic for some other health issues, so she's no light weight on the pain killer front. We found that really setting her arm up high in the sling helped better than how it was when she left the hospital. She's coping pretty well, she's just glad this didn't happen on the eve of ski season. Unfortunately I'm out a skating buddy until I start league play in a month!

Bene288

How is your girlfriend doing?

She's much better, thank you for asking! She met with her orthopedic doctor again this week, they concluded that she will not need surgery. She just needs to be in a sling for another couple of weeks. Here's a picture of the break. clavicle.jpg

ScottySkis

She's much better, thank you for asking! She met with her orthopedic doctor again this week, they concluded that she will not need surgery. She just needs to be in a sling for another couple of weeks. Here's a picture of the break. View attachment 6541

I'm glad she does not need surgery, and hopefully she be all well in time for winters fun before first snow flakes start falling.

Bene288

If she needed surgery, she would have been out of commission well into ski season. So I say she's lucky, she has other opinions on that front though.