• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Is there a doctor in the house?

Bene288

The unthinkable happened..I'm going on a ski trip this week and last night, sprained my ankle pretty bad during a boxing session. Not black and blue, can still walk with only a slight limp. I've gone through hockey games with severe ankle sprains without issue, just usually needs a good tape job. I've never gone skiing with an ankle injury. Good thing ski boots also double as a cast, that is if I can get my foot in. My only concern is that I can't fit into my boots with a bandage.

Any tips on nursing so I can actually ski on my ski vacation? Its slightly swollen, although I've been icing on an off since the incident, keeping the foot elevated above my heart and so on. Is heat an option? I've always gone with ice to reduce the inflammation.

jaja111

When not about to utilize the ankle, ice it to the point just short of frostbite. Icing it on one side should produce cold flesh on the other. When you ski, heat it in the shower, tape it up but leave the flex you need to some extent. And again, of course, ibuprofen is your friend. Any doctor will say do not go for fear of further injury, and they're right. However, if you can put all your weight onto it, a ski boot is much like a splint. If you can tolerate the movement the boot does have with the weight on it, your wallet may have a louder voice than your doctor. I've had this happen with a knee. I went to Smuggs for two days (would have been three exept for a wind hold), skied cruisers mostly, was in pain getting off the lift, and managed more or less.

I am not a doctor and this advice would surely never be approved by the AMA.

Bene288

When not about to utilize the ankle, ice it to the point just short of frostbite. Icing it on one side should produce cold flesh on the other. When you ski, heat it in the shower, tape it up but leave the flex you need to some extent. And again, of course, ibuprofen is your friend. Any doctor will say do not go for fear of further injury, and they're right. However, if you can put all your weight onto it, a ski boot is much like a splint. If you can tolerate the movement the boot does have with the weight on it, your wallet may have a louder voice than your doctor. I've had this happen with a knee. I went to Smuggs for two days (would have been three exept for a wind hold), skied cruisers mostly, was in pain getting off the lift, and managed more or less.

I am not a doctor and this advice would surely never be approved by the AMA.

Thanks for the advice, I am able to squeeze into my boot, certainly makes a nice splint. I may go with no socks as it's supposed to be fairly warm this week. It wouldn't be the first time. Or I may pull the plastic bag trick to get in easier if I have a problem.

I once rolled my ankle pretty good the day before Sugarloaf. I did manage to get my foot in the ski boot and I was a little nervous at first, but that ski boot was a real good cast. After a while I was sking just fine. All impacts were straight on the joint and the boot held my foot straight. No problems. It's when the ankle gets extended in directions further than it should be that there is a problem. The injury I had was not in the joint, but in the muscle/ligament/tendon area. Find a way to get your foot in the boot. You probably don't even need the wrap, think of what the boot liner will do for you, It actually feels good when you tighten the buckles up a bit.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, just some nut who's gonna find a way to go skiing someway, somehow!

As a fellow carpenter I'm sure you're just as used to getting banged up as I am. We know how to get through pain. It rarely prevents me from work, why should it prevent me from skiing! The boot completely supports the ankle, just puts a lot of pressure at the point of swelling. I'm hoping to get that knocked down enough to where it doesn't bother. If impact is all on the joint I should be fine. My injury is similar to what you described, the ligament and tendon area.

Thanks for the positive input, I half expected to get berated by the masses because it's something an expert skier would never think of doing (skiing with an injury).

Hawkshot99

Thanks for the positive input, I half expected to get berated by the masses because it's something an expert skier would never think of doing (skiing with an injury).

Those are the people way more likely to go skiing injured because they couldn't think of life with out the sport as part of it. I know I have gone skiing many times when I shouldn't, but missing a day on the slopes was not a option.

Bene288

We'll find out soon the best treatments when they tell us how they treated Gronk. When do you leave?

We leave tomorrow afternoon. I have a chiropractor's adjustment early in the AM, I may have him look at it just to make sure everything is in it's proper spot. Feels better already, but the morning will probably be rough. I'll try stacking some pillows to prop the foot up on while I sleep tonight.

bigbob

How many times have we gone to work with a hammered thumb, a cut on our leg, a scrape or some other minor injury? And when we break an arm or otherwise end up in a cast, we think of bills that need to get paid somehow, and that means adjusting so that we can work well enough for the boss to not send us home.

You gotta play as hard as you work!

Sounds like a person who is self employed. I wish everybody had this attitude. There would be less unemployment in this country. I am also self employed, although not at the moment, purposely!

hammer

How many times have we gone to work with a hammered thumb, a cut on our leg, a scrape or some other minor injury? And when we break an arm or otherwise end up in a cast, we think of bills that need to get paid somehow, and that means adjusting so that we can work well enough for the boss to not send us home.

You gotta play as hard as you work!

Sounds like a person who is self employed. I wish everybody had this attitude. There would be less unemployment in this country. I am also self employed, although not at the moment, purposely!

Hear you about the work ethic and toughing it out through injury and illness, but I'd have to draw the line at having a bad cold or the flu...not good to show up at the office and infect your co-workers.

I was coming down with a cold when we skied at Loon a few weeks ago. Was good to get out but it was definitely not one of my better ski days.

deadheadskier

Staff member
As long as you're not a tight end for the Patriots playing against the New York Giants, I'm sure you'll be fine.

ceo

I once slipped on the ice in my street shoes outside the Sugarloaf Inn and blew my ankle, on the first morning of a 3-day group ski trip I'd already paid for. Ski patrol said it was a sprain and to keep a bag of snow on it, and that's what I did that day; good job I'd brought a few books. Other two days I cranked that boot down as tight as I could stand and took it (relatively) easy, and it was fine.

Or so I thought. My doctor looked at it when I got home and said "yup, it's sprained". It wasn't feeling much better a couple weeks later, so I took it back in, and this time they X-rayed it and said "hey look, it was broken, but now it's healed up fine". They and I were slightly appalled that I'd skied on a broken ankle for two days and walked around on it for two weeks.

Warp Daddy

As long as you're not a tight end for the Patriots playing against the New York Giants, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Football doc translation: "You're fine son, we'll tape it up give you a shot of Dr Feelgood , now GET in there and Play--- We'll BUY you a new ( whatever) next season "

And folks wonder WHY in Hell they are functionally crippled by the end of their playing careers !!!!!!

FWIW IMHO just Too damn many bad decisions being made about sports injuries in the colleges and professional levels for the sake of THE BOTTOM LINE not the athlete

Bene288

Had my chiropractor adjust it this morning. What a difference. I'd take a chiropractor over a regular care doc any day when it comes to sprains and breaks. Feels much better, stairs are a little tough. I'll rock the stiff bandage for the remainder of the day and should be fine.

Warp Daddy

[QUOTE=Bene288;689496I'd take a chiropractor over a regular care doc any day when it comes to sprains and breaks.

uh huh ---------- with that logic maybe we all should take a weekend warrior wood butcher with very little training and with a green stamp certification to a union carpenter for our next bldg project too :D:D-- what the hell -- just sayin

kingslug

I found that Bourbon and advil worked great when I flipped 10 feet in the air..and landed on my back in BC several years ago...first day..first run..7 days to go..