• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jackson Hole 3/21 - 3/22

kcyanks1

Where: Jackson Hole
When: 3/21 - 3/22
Weather: Still hot, but not quite as hot. I wore a turtleneck, fleece, and light jacket liner and was plenty warm but not too warm most for the most part.
Conditions: Ice->corn->slush. 3/22 was especially icy in the morning. Most of the north-facing stuff was closed/not skiable, but most things softened up by the afternoon.

Trip report:

3/21: Highlights of the day were woods in the Bird in the Hand area off Sublette in the AM, and some woods in the vicinity of Ranger off the gondola and Downhill Chute off Sublette in the PM. I had skied Downhill Chute my first visit to JH and didn't find it particularly special (and we also hit some rocks which wasn't fun), but this time even though there was probably less snow it was much more fun .. Probably about 1 1/2 ski lengths wide which is pretty cool.

3/22: Tried the woods by the gondola in the AM, but they were frozen solid, as was pretty much everything else. The one good early morning run was some south-facing woods going from Thunder to Sublette (I'm not being intentionally vague, I just don't know offhand the name if there is one, or where exactly we went). We did the Rendezvous Bowl in the AM too and that was also icy. So we took an early lunch, and by the time we were done a lot of things had softened up. Paintbrush (3-4? times) was a lot of fun, as was Downhill Chute (2 times). We had considered doing Mushroom Chutes again, but there were parts of Paintbrush toward the trees that had receives less sun and were still pretty hard/icy, so we figured that the north-facing woods would not be fun. Tower 3 unfortunately was closed all day, as were Alta 1 and 2 (we think though we didn't check). Over the course of the day we also skied Jaws, Riverton Bowl, Cheyenne(sp?) Woods, and perhaps some other interesting runs I am leaving out.

We also did go over and check out Corbets .. I'm not sure whether I had gotten my nerves up enough yet to drop in, but I'll just say I felt it was more likely that I'd go for it than I felt a couple days back. Unfortunately it was closed as we had suspected. There was a rock showing right in the landing area. We heard that there was some guy (affiliated with the resort, I think) who had been skiing it every day, so perhaps that was who we saw coming out of it a couple days ago (see my other trip report). That is one pretty scary looking run .. hopefully I'll get to do it someday.

kcyanks1

So as I was waiting through another flight delay in the airport, I learned that Corbets was opened at least on Wednesday 3/21 and possibly other days in the week... So that sucks. I finally had my courage up enough that I might go for it on Thursday 3/22, and it was closed (and I also had been told by a couple people that they thought it had been closed throughout the week). I should've checked it out earlier. ... Well hopefully I'll get out there again and have the guts to do it.

AdironRider

Hey I was out there the same exact time you were! Where were you staying and were you stuck waiting on American Airlines flights on Friday? We probably were right next to each other and didnt even know it. Summed up the conditions quite well I might add, but it was still amazing just to be out there. Ill post up a tr when my gf downloads her pics.

I was in a bright yellow/orange jacket with black pants w/ a duct taped ass and a black helmet riding a board. My girl had black pants w/ a green jacket and skied. You didnt happen to be that couple that checked out Corbets w/ us first thing monday am were you?

kcyanks1

Hey I was out there the same exact time you were! Where were you staying and were you stuck waiting on American Airlines flights on Friday? We probably were right next to each other and didnt even know it. Summed up the conditions quite well I might add, but it was still amazing just to be out there. Ill post up a tr when my gf downloads her pics.

I was in a bright yellow/orange jacket with black pants w/ a duct taped ass and a black helmet riding a board. My girl had black pants w/ a green jacket and skied. You didnt happen to be that couple that checked out Corbets w/ us first thing monday am were you?

I was staying with relatives (aunt, uncle, and cousins) on the mountain off of Teewinot. What about you? I don't think I saw you.. I had black pants, a navy jacket, a black helmet, and skis (probably not the easiest colors to pick out)... I was waiting for the AA flight at the Jackson airport on Friday (yesterday) that was supposed to leave at 2:35 or so. Pretty funny that we were on the same flight..

I wasn't checking out Corbets on Monday ... I didn't make it over until Thursday and it was closed then. Was it open Monday when you looked? First thing am sounds like a bad idea since everything was rock solid in the morning, though things warmed up quicker Monday than other days. If it was open, did you do it? What were your favorite runs?

I love being out there.. Once I heard from the guy I was talking to in the airport that Corbets was open earlier in the week I've been killing myself though for not going over there sooner. Who knows if I would've done it when faced with it, but it's like my life-long ski goal :)

Glad you seemed to have a great trip!

kcyanks1

Thanks for the report Ken. Things going well for you? Long time no see.

No problem. One day I'll even get decent pictures to post in my reports :) Perhaps Adironrider will take care of that since he was out there at the same time. Did you get to take advantage of the 3 foot storm in the east?

kcyanks1

Stowe was unbelievable! Forgot my damn camera, though.

Nice.. I did see some incredible Stowe and Jay pics from trip reports here and on other sites. Amazing how the season has turned around here. Hopefully I'll get to go out again.

AdironRider

I was at the 49r in town, nice little place, but would much rather of had your slopeside digs...

It was open Monday afternoon, mon am we just checked it out but it was closed. Even on monday there were two rocks showing right in the landing, it really is knee weakeningly scary the first couple moments your looking down. On monday afternoon I was about to drop in, when a ski patroller did it right before me he hit the rocks, tumbled to the right, then slammed into the cliff wall to right. That was enough to second guess myself and I bailed. I know I know, Im a pussy, but I wasnt about to mess myself up on my first day there. I ended up regretting it as it didnt really open up much again later in the week like you said, but I plan on moving there next year as it is, so there will be plenty of more chances w/ better conditions.

kcyanks1

I was at the 49r in town, nice little place, but would much rather of had your slopeside digs...

It was open Monday afternoon, mon am we just checked it out but it was closed. Even on monday there were two rocks showing right in the landing, it really is knee weakeningly scary the first couple moments your looking down. On monday afternoon I was about to drop in, when a ski patroller did it right before me he hit the rocks, tumbled to the right, then slammed into the cliff wall to right. That was enough to second guess myself and I bailed. I know I know, Im a pussy, but I wasnt about to mess myself up on my first day there. I ended up regretting it as it didnt really open up much again later in the week like you said, but I plan on moving there next year as it is, so there will be plenty of more chances w/ better conditions.

Ouch. Having a ski patroller fall right before you doesn't provide the incentive to jump. Was he OK? At least it might show you that you can fall and survive. I definitely can't call you a pussy for not doing it though, since my last trip there it was open and I didn't have the guts to do it. As you said it's very scary. Very little room for error after jumping and landing on a 50 degree slope.

dmc - if you are reading this, did you end up doing Corbets on your trip?

By the way, did you get my PM on AlpineZone about getting cheap tickets? I saw your post on TGR but I don't have an account there at this point so I sent you a reply here.

AdironRider

Yeah he got up and was fine, minus the fact he had to walk down and retrieve his skis which had fallen all the way down to Tensleep bowl at that point. Seemed to me that the rocks showing at the landing screwed him up and sent him off balance, either way not very confidence inspiring. Next time...

kcyanks1

Yeah he got up and was fine, minus the fact he had to walk down and retrieve his skis which had fallen all the way down to Tensleep bowl at that point. Seemed to me that the rocks showing at the landing screwed him up and sent him off balance, either way not very confidence inspiring. Next time...

Those rocks certainly didn't make me less scared :) Weird to have his skis go way down below him.. Normally it seems that the skis stay up and the skier goes down. Though I'd rather have my skis tumble down the hill than me! I expect a report next year that you conquered it :)