• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jackson Hole Feb 9-16, 2007

kingslug

Targhee_and_Jackson_feb_2007_046.jpg

Targhee_and_Jackson_feb_2007_048.jpg

Targhee_and_Jackson_feb_2007_050.jpg

Targhee_and_Jackson_feb_2007_054.jpg

Targhee_and_Jackson_feb_2007_052.jpg

We where originaly where going to Tahoe but gave up due to poor conditions. We lucked out with JH and Targhee. It hadn't snowed in 3 weeks but started the minute we arrived. Thank God. JH was covered with ice and hardpack and would have been murder without a decent covering. Even so, it was hard. The lower mountain was frozen. Staying high up was the best bet as it picked up 3 to 6 inches per day.We arrived to the sound of avi control bombs going off constantly, a good sign. We got 2 days in there, the rest at Targhee. JH is a great place to test yourself. Easily the most difficult resort I have been to. This was our second time. Conditions where much harder this time.Huge icy moguls and steep hardpack everywhere. The bowls where a mix of everything. There are hairy runs off every chair, even the Casper lift which is considered the easiest chair.Apres Vous was frozen and we skipped it after one run. Too bad as it is a good place to warm up for the main mountain. Everything is 2 notches up from what you are used to. The black runs can be murder and I never ventured through any gates. Visibility was poor the second day which limited what we hit. You don't want to make a wrong turn here, which we almost did. Where as most resorts you have to work to get to the crazy stuff, here it's just around any corner. Staring down a super steep cliff face we where humbled watching a father and his 7 year old jump in. Puts things in perspective real quick. First day we demo'd some stiff fat skis, Fishers, and Dynastars. Great in the pow, murder on the hardpack. Second day we stuck to our eastern skinny skis. Made life easier. Best bet before coming here is to do some research. The place is vast. This was their worst season in a long time but things have turned around pretty quick.

Last edited:

Puck it

Going 3/2 - 3/6. I hope they continue to get snow. I am bringing my Apache Recons for the pow and Head Supershapes in case there is hard[ack.

dmc

Going 3/2 - 3/6. I hope they continue to get snow. I am bringing my Apache Recons for the pow and Head Supershapes in case there is hard[ack.

I'll be out there the same time... :)

Puck it

I am going with a buddy from NY. We are flying out of Boston on 3/2. Looking forward to it. First time there. How about you?

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
Thanks for posting your pics! I knew they were not having a great snow year so your pics of the rocks were a visual confirmation as they show not much snow. It's been 10 years since I left, I'm thinking the rocks are in the area of the bottom of the Alta chutes, lower section of the Sublette Quad.

Your pic #5 is a awesome shot Laramie Bowl. The area to the right between where you were standing and tower 4 is one of fav spots that never gets too crowded, Grand Woods.

Hope they get a bunch snow for you guys heading out there.
icon14.gif

catskills

FYI good place to stay is Village Center Inn in Teton Village right next to the old TRAM. Rumor has it that next next year will be the last year for the Village Center INN. Cost about $500 per person includes 7 nights and 5 day lift ticket. Room has it a full kitchen. We get up in the morning cook breakfast and coffee and its a two minute walk to the Gondola. We eat lunch in the room. At the end of the day we have a frig full of beer and sit outside watching the sun set set. :cool:. Must make reservations very early for next year.

BTW if you go to JHMR guest services and fill out the a 100,000 vertical feet card you get a nice pin and a free lift ticket for next year. This year I got my 500,000 vertical feet silver belt buckle. ;-) See JH Vertical Feet Club

dmc

FYI good place to stay is Village Center Inn in Teton Village right next to the old TRAM. Rumor has it that next next year will be the last year for the Village Center INN. Cost about $500 per person includes 7 nights and 5 day lift ticket. Room has it a full kitchen.

Nice.. I was going to check on some rooms for the last few days of my trip out there after the condo I'm staying in ends...

Why aren't you skiing today? Windchill got you inside? :)

catskills

Patrolled this weekend at Belleayre. Not my weekend to patrol but was asked to help out. I thought it was going to be more crowded than it was. I bet a lot of folks went further north. Got to work today :???: Chao

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
FYI good place to stay is Village Center Inn in Teton Village right next to the old TRAM. Rumor has it that next next year will be the last year for the Village Center INN. Cost about $500 per person includes 7 nights and 5 day lift ticket. Room has it a full kitchen. We get up in the morning cook breakfast and coffee and its a two minute walk to the Gondola. We eat lunch in the room. At the end of the day we have a frig full of beer and sit outside watching the sun set set. :cool:. Must make reservations very early for next year.
]

The other BIG positive is that it's stumbling distance to the Mangy Moose. :lol:
icon_daffy.gif

Last edited:

tekweezle

great that you timed it right. I was there from 1-28 to 2-3 and it was pretty tough because as you said, it had not snowed in 3 weeks.

we only got trace amount of snow in the week I was out there with sub zero degree temps. still, would have been an epic conditions in the northeast before last week!

kingslug

great that you timed it right. I was there from 1-28 to 2-3 and it was pretty tough because as you said, it had not snowed in 3 weeks.

we only got trace amount of snow in the week I was out there with sub zero degree temps. still, would have been an epic conditions in the northeast before last week!

And I just read that Tahoe picked up 4 feet. It's getting tough to predict what areas will be good and when. I'm never going to book anything too far in advance anymore. Although March seems to be a winner no matter what.

tekweezle

I am going to tahoe the 2nd week of March! hope it continues to snow right up til then.

Justin10

Have fun at JH this week guys.....i'll be out there in exactly 2 weeks. Lets see a report on how it is, definitly would like to know whats good out there and what isnt etc...