• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jackson Hole Sold

jimk

Sounds like they purposefully avoided selling to Vail or Alterra. Wish the new guys all the best in finding the magic balance between profitability and being loved to death by crowds. I've made three multiday visits up there in the last 9 years and the mountain (awesome) was pretty dang busy every time.

drjeff

Sounds like they purposefully avoided selling to Vail or Alterra. Wish the new guys all the best in finding the magic balance between profitability and being loved to death by crowds. I've made three multiday visits up there in the last 9 years and the mountain (awesome) was pretty dang busy every time.

Will be interesting to see if what seems to be a bunch of "recovering" Private Equity and Big Banking guys at the head of the board, who are now I am guessing residents, or atleast residents much of the year in Jackson, can resist what has to be some of their professional urges to make quick changes to boost the bottomline line or not?

Doubt that the crew behind this, regardless of how many numbers to the left of the decimal point their net worths are, would take on an I am guessing 9 figure deal, without some business plan to get their money back at minimum in a relatively short (say 5 years) timeframe.

Also, I guess that unless the new board says something definitively 1 way or the other, let the speculation of if Jackson will or won't be on the '24-'25 Ikon resort options in 1 form or another begin, since even though that press release says that they don't anticipate any signifcant changes to the current operations plan, I think it's quite clear that the locals aren't totally thrilled with the added volume of folks into "their town" that IKON affiliation has brought....

thetrailboss

Staff member
JH wasn't on a multi-year contract?
Who knows......

I listened to the Storm Podcast's interview of the new President/COO of Alterra. He came from LiveNation/Blockbuster. Spoiler alert: if you hate LiveNation, you are going to hate where IKON/Alterra is going under this guy. Dynamic pricing, upcharges, premium experience charges, etc.

Former Sunday Rivah Rat

Who knows......

I listened to the Storm Podcast's interview of the new President/COO of Alterra. He came from LiveNation/Blockbuster. Spoiler alert: if you hate LiveNation, you are going to hate where IKON/Alterra is going under this guy. Dynamic pricing, upcharges, premium experience charges, etc.
I predict many ski resorts will have a lift line cutting charge for an upsell. Like the fastpass at Sixflags. BW does it with their club and you also get 30 minutes of 1st tracks before the public can get on the lifts. If you can get up early it can be worth it. We did it for 2 years but got tired of the terrain.

skiur

I predict many ski resorts will have a lift line cutting charge for an upsell. Like the fastpass at Sixflags. BW does it with their club and you also get 30 minutes of 1st tracks before the public can get on the lifts. If you can get up early it can be worth it. We did it for 2 years but got tired of the terrain.

Killington has had it for two years now, I rarely ever see anybody using it.

jimk

Killington has had it for two years now, I rarely ever see anybody using it.
Snowbird's had it (fastpass) for a couple years too. I don't see too many using it, but there are a few on peak days. Perhaps more than I know about. I rode a chair with a guy using it this spring on a day when the mtn wasn't too busy. He may have got it as a perk for some connection he had IIRC? The lift operator didn't pay him much mind and I asked if he was able to cut lines all over the mountain without any regular riders giving him a hard time for thinking he was cutting the line. He had no complaints. He seemed pretty good at looking out for himself and subtly yet aggressively merging in with regular riders. Not that there were any big lines that day. I want to say it's something like a minimum of $70 extra on top of ticket price, with more if busy day (dynamic pricing).

skiur

Killington actually has separate gates dedicated to the fast pass that are never used. You can also add it in to your season pass.

machski

Who knows......

Of course, to be fair, he did also say on that podcast that charging the new entrants like $280 for their first day isn't a sustainable business model.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Of course, to be fair, he did also say on that podcast that charging the new entrants like $280 for their first day isn't a sustainable business model.
True. But a lot of his discussion was maximizing revenue.

So Inclined

I predict many ski resorts will have a lift line cutting charge for an upsell.

I've heard from buddies who've taught at places like JH that people who care enough to do this, and have the money already achieve the same ends by getting a day-long private lesson. Instant fast-pass. The "lesson" might be an afterthought if not disregarded altogether.

BodeMiller1

So inclined:

- wanting to do something or likely to do something.

Also, skiing on a very steep slope. :spread:🐤🐄⚡

Well played Incline-a-roo...

BodeMiller1

Killington actually has separate gates dedicated to the fast pass that are never used. You can also add it in to your season pass.
If the mountain opened them up there would be hell to pay. Many would not put up with this type of grandstanding. ☃️

Hawk

Two years ago I saw the Fast pass lane working at the snowdon 6. It was only a few people using it and there was not a big fuss. Also Sugarbush has an early ups package but this was in place well before IKON took over. Also Claybrook owners get to cut the line. There might be some grumpling but people who ski Sugarbush regularly pretty much ignore it. Not that big a deal.

BodeMiller1

Two years ago I saw the Fast pass lane working at the snowdon 6. It was only a few people using it and there was not a big fuss. Also Sugarbush has an early ups package but this was in place well before IKON took over. Also Claybrook owners get to cut the line. There might be some grumpling but people who ski Sugarbush regularly pretty much ignore it. Not that big a deal.
At the end of the day, the folks that build, sustain the resorts will get what they deserve. Skiers get more up set over parking becasue humoing your (and yours) equipment is a bitch.
Thanks for the enlightment.

Attachments

• DKNY.png
    DKNY.png
    256.2 KB · Views: 2

Hawk

I will say this. if the lift lines get bigger then the line cutting might become an issue.
If the lines get to big for me. I guess I will jst strap on the skins and go back country. There is enough of that to go around. For now!

thetrailboss

Staff member
I've heard from buddies who've taught at places like JH that people who care enough to do this, and have the money already achieve the same ends by getting a day-long private lesson. Instant fast-pass. The "lesson" might be an afterthought if not disregarded altogether.
Ski instructors were one group who were pretty angry about this fast pass idea. Not surprisingly, Snowbird cannot find ski instructors now.