• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jackson Hole

kingslug

Small tight chutes have lost my interest..flying through powder on long runs with interesting terrain is much more appealing

TheArchitect

I don't quite "get" the appeal of Tower Three. It's right under the Thunder lift. Every time I looked down, I saw 9 out of 10 people NOT having a good time in there! (Even before this year's Ikon crowd on the mountain, Tower Three had always got more people on it than any other double black runs) It's all bumped up, the bumps looked like they were hard (even by Jackson standard).

I get Corbet. And I get Alta Chutes. They both had excellent snow, if you can handle the little bits of choke point. What's with Tower Three?

I confess I've never tried it. I always found other runs that are just as steep and have good snow. So didn't bother finding out what's the attraction of Tower Three.

I skied Tower Three Chute the day after a storm so maybe my experience was not the norm but I really enjoyed it. Bumps were soft and they helped with speed control. Alta 1 was probably my favorite run, though.

abc

Not saying I'll do Corbet. But from those who did it, once you got past that entry point, the rest of the run often has excellent snow.

Alta Chute is similar in nature (but less severe). Excellent snow up top. Choke point lower down to be negotiated.

kingslug

Now if you really want to test yourself..when its open Pipeline is about as nuts as it gets..for mere mortals..Snowbird..crazy stuff

Attachments

• pipeline.jpg
    pipeline.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 91

kingslug

And if you like Thai food Teton Thai is the best I ever had..very small. so you have to get there early or hang out in the waiting..tent.

jimmywilson69

But since you'll be at JH..if its good (find out) Saratoga Bowl is a hoot.
https://www.north40realty.com/steep-skiing-jh-mountain-res
Print it and youll have a good guide..

Would have loved to have seen this link last week!

I was there for 2 days last week, no snow for more than a week and it was Sunny and warm during the days. at first chair if it wasn't groomed then it wasn't skiable until lunch. Even then it wasn't quite corn yet. I referred to it as crusty and chunky.

The skiing really is incredible there though. The steepness is not overstated. Many of the Blues or Double Blues would be blacks in the northeast. With fresh snow it would open up so much terrian. Corbetts was closed because it gets no sun.

We stayed at the Antler Inn in Jackson. We had good Thai at Thai me up / Melvin brewing in town. Also Good BBQ at Bubbas and a great breakfast the day we left at Cafe Genevieve. Had a pricey game dinner, I had the elk chops, at Gun Barrel. It was good but expensive.

For a great reasonably priced lunch hit up South Cable Cafe right below the Tram. AdironRider recommended this and the Pizza was great!

I will do a trip report and link it back to here once I get a chance to type it up!

crank

I don't quite "get" the appeal of Tower Three. It's right under the Thunder lift. Every time I looked down, I saw 9 out of 10 people NOT having a good time in there! (Even before this year's Ikon crowd on the mountain, Tower Three had always got more people on it than any other double black runs) It's all bumped up, the bumps looked like they were hard (even by Jackson standard).

I get Corbet. And I get Alta Chutes. They both had excellent snow, if you can handle the little bits of choke point. What's with Tower Three?

I confess I've never tried it. I always found other runs that are just as steep and have good snow. So didn't bother finding out what's the attraction of Tower Three.

The first time I skied Tower 3 Chute it was full of fresh powder. I was laughing out loud, nervously, because it was also the first time I ever experienced the feeling of my slough passing me. The last time I skied Tower 3 I did so cautiously. It's fun, you just don't want to fall.

jimk

If you have to ask “is Corbett’s do-able” you don’t belong there. Ski patrol will thank you.
Big LOL. First time I ever agreed with FBGM:thumbup:

Now if you really want to test yourself..when its open Pipeline is about as nuts as it gets..for mere mortals..Snowbird..crazy stuff

I think Mar 18 was the first time this season they allowed people to ski Pipeline at Snowbird. This photo was taken on Mar 19 when I saw a lot of folks going for it. Camera was out of focus, sorry.

Fuzzy dot in upper frame is a skier, he's right above that little elbow about half way down kingslug's photo:

DSCN1890.jpg

jg17

+1 for both Roadhouse and Snake River for food/beer. Persephone Bakery and Pearl Street Bagels are both good for a quick breakfast before heading up to the mountain.