• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Japan Earthquake and Tsunami

hammer

Better than most of the other alternatives.

Coal pollutes the air
Nat Gas pollutes the ground water
Oil funds terrorists
Windmills kill birds and bats
Solar costs too much
Geothermal is in all the wrong places
Tidal kills the whales
Hydro kills the fish

Nuclear just makes you glow in the dark, which reduces the amount of power we need at night. Win, win.
+1...well maybe not on the last point...

Only two problems I see with nuclear power are the risk (albeit slight) of something really bad happening like we are seeing in Japan and the question of what to do with the waste that is created. Both problems could be significant but when weighed against the positives nuclear power comes up ahead IMHO.

Nevertheless, I do wish we had viable alternatives.

drjeff

Only two problems I see with nuclear power are the risk (albeit slight) of something really bad happening like we are seeing in Japan and the question of what to do with the waste that is created. Both problems could be significant but when weighed against the positives nuclear power comes up ahead IMHO.

The problem is that with essentially everything we do, from generating nuclear power to taking a shower, there's some level of risk. And it's having the rational ability(and not be swayed by emotion) to take a look at what the risk is and then determining if that is an "acceptable" risk for the vast majority of those involved.

drjeff

But a lot of coal mining is is done via mtn top removal, making mtns shorter... FAIL!

mountaintop-nrdc.jpg

But look at that awesome new double black diamond with cliff drops they created out of that previously flat, boring hill top! I'd gladly loose a few verts for some real, legit terrain (terrain worthy of a Highwaystar ski off :lol: ) over just another bunny slope for a bunch of high plains residing mid-westerners! :lol:

ctenidae

The waste problem wouldn't be so much of a problem if reprocessing were better, I think. If the French can do it, we should be able to, too.

Morwax

I wasnt using the tree hugger article to campare coal to nuclear... Just wanted to point out that "Clean Nuclear power" is an oximoron. I guess for some people everything is black or white when there really is no easy answer to the need to find clean energy alternatives. There is one answer, USE LESS:beer:

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I used to be in the Air National Guard and worked with a guy who worked at the plant down in CT (Yankey, I think). It was pretty interesting hearing all the stories about what he did, how he did it, etc. I don't even know exactly what he did, some kind of technician.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Just saw this video here via Gizmodo:

It's just unreal.

Seconds, not minutes, total destruction. Looks like the end of the world. Did you see all the peeps on that building. I would be in tears, what can they do? Nothing.
The people that perished were probably gone in seconds. Imagine the toxic waste that was scattered inland and to the see. Tragedy.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
thats the craziest thing I've ever seen... for real...

I know it looks like a movie or something. All I can think about when I watch that is if I were the guy filming it I would be praying my building didn't collapse while I was standing on it.

dmc

I know it looks like a movie or something. All I can think about when I watch that is if I were the guy filming it I would be praying my building didn't collapse while I was standing on it.

I fired off an email to my friend Kazumi as soon as I saw that..
I'm trying to get her to come here for a while... But she's a public defender and says she needs to stay to help all the people with their legal battles and stuff caused by the earthquake.. Which is cool... But i fear for her and her family.. Even though they are not near any of the nukes..

ScottySkis

Its so bad,I couldn't even image what it is like to be living their going through all that it is just crazy

campgottagopee

Subie buyers....with what has happened in Japan inventory levels will soon be at an all time low....don't mess around if you're seriously in the market or you'll miss out.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I thought many Subie's were manufactured in the US?? Don't they have a plant somewhere that sets the standard for green manufacturing for cars? thought I saw a commercial

wa-loaf

I thought many Subie's were manufactured in the US?? Don't they have a plant somewhere that sets the standard for green manufacturing for cars? thought I saw a commercial

The problem is with the supply lines. Lots of parts still come from Japan. It's affecting US car companies too. Factories are shutting down because they don't have the parts,

mondeo

Final assembly is in Indiana, but even if 0.5% of the parts are sole sourced to the area affected, they can't make cars. This is affecting everyone, including the US companies.

campgottagopee

The problem is with the supply lines. Lots of parts still come from Japan. It's affecting US car companies too. Factories are shutting down because they don't have the parts,

Final assembly is in Indiana, but even if 0.5% of the parts are sole sourced to the area affected, they can't make cars. This is affecting everyone, including the US companies.

This....it's gonna get bad

We're getting updates daily....none of it good