• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak - In Depth Thread

M4TTYICE

Alright, so I'm heading up to Jay for the 2nd time ever this coming weekend. I skied there 2 days last season, and although this is only my 2nd time at Jay, I have studied the map and have seen a lot of video footage on certain trails (so I have a good idea of how the resort is laid out).

What do you guys think about Everglade vs. Staircase? From my memory Everglade was longer but Staircase was steeper. I'll probably hit both up but I was wondering if you had a preference.

How about which lifts to stay on? Last time I stayed on the Flyer for most of the day, as I felt I could hit a lot of good terrain from there (everglade, staircase, andre's, beaver pond, etc.) and get up the mountain very quickly. Also, I hit the Jet Triple a few times, the Gondola a few times, and Bonny a few times.

Overall, I felt like the Jet and Bonny went a bit slow and it was worth just staying on the flyer. Everyone raves about Timbuktu but to be frank, I can't remember it really feeling much different than Beaver Pond/Andre's...

I had a similar feeling with Bonny. Good lift to some quality terrain but a bit slow. Is there really much of a difference between the glades Vertigo, Deliverance, and Canyonland?

Lastly, I think I'm going to hit up the gondola a bit more this time around. I only hit face and tuckerman's chutes 2 or 3 times last time I went, plus I didn't get a chance to hit Valhalla (which looks awesome). I hit Green Beret once last time but don't remember it being anything really that special. Also, I went down face chutes but the 2 times I did them I didn't realize that you're supposed to go right under the tram and tried to cut through the trees right at the entrance...any tips on where to enter Face/Tucks would be great!

I know I've rambled a lot but basically, if you have any suggestions for (more or less) a first time Jay skier that would be awesome! Thanks guys, and I'll be sure to inform you on how the weekend goes!

-Matt

skiking4

Valhalla is one of the best runs on the mountain. Gets tons of windblown and perfectly spaced trees. Awesome skiing.
Green Beret is super steep. But it's wide, and therefore gets all the snow blown off and barely is skiable. All that snow is in Valhalla pretty much.
Face Chutes are dope. Not much like that that's MARKED inbounds in the East.
Tuckerman Chutes are cool. Narrow zig zagging chutes, but it's less steep, shorter, and easier than the face chutes. Plus, less snow preservation as I think there's way more lines on the Face than by Tuck's.
Deliverance is awesome, definitely should check out. It's a series of long, long snake-chutes that wind up in some steep tree terrain. It might not have the best conditions due to the extremely narrow paths for the first couple hundred vertical, but I just feel like the run is really cool and should definitely be tried.
Canyonland is fun. Don't go through the main entrance, however. The alternative entrances along Northway are sweet and are super wind buffed.
The terrain past Timbuktu is much bigger than Andre's and Beaver, and probably gets a lot less skier traffic too. Just make sure to come back in bounds and not end up at the road.

Can't comment on Vertigo. I never skied Everglades or Staircase, but rather the tree expanse between and around them. Awesome, awesome terrain.

M4TTYICE

Valhalla is one of the best runs on the mountain. Gets tons of windblown and perfectly spaced trees. Awesome skiing.
Green Beret is super steep. But it's wide, and therefore gets all the snow blown off and barely is skiable. All that snow is in Valhalla pretty much.
Face Chutes are dope. Not much like that that's MARKED inbounds in the East.
Tuckerman Chutes are cool. Narrow zig zagging chutes, but it's less steep, shorter, and easier than the face chutes. Plus, less snow preservation as I think there's way more lines on the Face than by Tuck's.
Deliverance is awesome, definitely should check out. It's a series of long, long snake-chutes that wind up in some steep tree terrain. It might not have the best conditions due to the extremely narrow paths for the first couple hundred vertical, but I just feel like the run is really cool and should definitely be tried.
Canyonland is fun. Don't go through the main entrance, however. The alternative entrances along Northway are sweet and are super wind buffed.
The terrain past Timbuktu is much bigger than Andre's and Beaver, and probably gets a lot less skier traffic too. Just make sure to come back in bounds and not end up at the road.

Can't comment on Vertigo. I never skied Everglades or Staircase, but rather the tree expanse between and around them. Awesome, awesome terrain.

Thanks for all of the AWESOME suggestions man! I'm really pumped to ski this weekend. The few videos of Valhalla I've seen make it look like an amazing run...you've confirmed my hunches lol I'll definitely have to ski it a few times! I'll keep that in mind about Deliverance...I did Vertigo last time and thought it was alright but I will make an effort to hit up Deliverance.

Also, I am going on a school trip and might ski solo, so I probably won't venture too far into Timbuktu (don't want to end up like the kid at the Loaf).

Some good suggestions here though...it's a bummer Green Beret gets blown off...might need to make a game-time decision on whether or not to take that one. Either way, I'm glad my thoughts on Valhalla are confirmed!!!

skiking4

Thanks for all of the AWESOME suggestions man! I'm really pumped to ski this weekend. The few videos of Valhalla I've seen make it look like an amazing run...you've confirmed my hunches lol I'll definitely have to ski it a few times! I'll keep that in mind about Deliverance...I did Vertigo last time and thought it was alright but I will make an effort to hit up Deliverance.

Also, I am going on a school trip and might ski solo, so I probably won't venture too far into Timbuktu (don't want to end up like the kid at the Loaf).

Some good suggestions here though...it's a bummer Green Beret gets blown off...might need to make a game-time decision on whether or not to take that one. Either way, I'm glad my thoughts on Valhalla are confirmed!!!

Well, going OOB off Timbuktu leads to "The Dip" which ends at the road leading to Jay Peak. So no worries about getting lost as long as you keep heading down if you find yourself too far over.
Also, you can peer down the headwall of Green Beret, find thin cover, and then traverse into Valhalla.

Mpdsnowman

There is an awesome ravine just past the hells woods glade on the right as your heading down taxi. It does not have a name associated with it but it is a long ravine and it gets loaded with powder. I can look on a map and tell you the trails it is between..

150449_10151267227166750_1149454790_n.jpg

BigJay

Alright, so I'm heading up to Jay for the 2nd time ever this coming weekend. I skied there 2 days last season, and although this is only my 2nd time at Jay, I have studied the map and have seen a lot of video footage on certain trails (so I have a good idea of how the resort is laid out).

What do you guys think about Everglade vs. Staircase? From my memory Everglade was longer but Staircase was steeper. I'll probably hit both up but I was wondering if you had a preference.

How about which lifts to stay on? Last time I stayed on the Flyer for most of the day, as I felt I could hit a lot of good terrain from there (everglade, staircase, andre's, beaver pond, etc.) and get up the mountain very quickly. Also, I hit the Jet Triple a few times, the Gondola a few times, and Bonny a few times.

Overall, I felt like the Jet and Bonny went a bit slow and it was worth just staying on the flyer. Everyone raves about Timbuktu but to be frank, I can't remember it really feeling much different than Beaver Pond/Andre's...

I had a similar feeling with Bonny. Good lift to some quality terrain but a bit slow. Is there really much of a difference between the glades Vertigo, Deliverance, and Canyonland?

Lastly, I think I'm going to hit up the gondola a bit more this time around. I only hit face and tuckerman's chutes 2 or 3 times last time I went, plus I didn't get a chance to hit Valhalla (which looks awesome). I hit Green Beret once last time but don't remember it being anything really that special. Also, I went down face chutes but the 2 times I did them I didn't realize that you're supposed to go right under the tram and tried to cut through the trees right at the entrance...any tips on where to enter Face/Tucks would be great!

I know I've rambled a lot but basically, if you have any suggestions for (more or less) a first time Jay skier that would be awesome! Thanks guys, and I'll be sure to inform you on how the weekend goes!

-Matt

Quick laps on the Flyer is the way to go. You can access pretty much the best terrain from this lift and the line is short.

BigJay

Wow, that gets me psyched for Saturday. Might be tailgaiting people into the woods all day!

Don't want to rain on your parade... but don't expect that much snow. It's been getting warmer and snow is packing down. I don't think there is any new snow in the forecast by the weekend.

Conditions will be great and soft. No ice on most trails and glades... but don't think you'll be getting powder. Enjoy the corduroy and plenty of snow in the glades!

bdfreetuna

Hit the Ridge!

Valhalla is a ton of fun, beautiful in there. Green Beret is great you must have been doing it wrong ;) .. the Chutes are fun. IDK, when I ski Jay I tend to take a lot of Tram runs and hit the funky terrain off the ridge and Valhalla area. Then hit the longer typically lower angle woods on the way down.

Either way you'll have a great day but I would highly suggest trekking up on the Ridge to get what I consider the full experience of that ski area.

M4TTYICE

Hit the Ridge!

Valhalla is a ton of fun, beautiful in there. Green Beret is great you must have been doing it wrong ;) .. the Chutes are fun. IDK, when I ski Jay I tend to take a lot of Tram runs and hit the funky terrain off the ridge and Valhalla area. Then hit the longer typically lower angle woods on the way down.

Either way you'll have a great day but I would highly suggest trekking up on the Ridge to get what I consider the full experience of that ski area.

Great advice! It seems like I definitely need to hit the *TRAM* (lol I wrote Gondola earlier) a lot more this time. Now if I take the tram and go down Valhalla or Green Beret, is it easy to head back to the tram area or am pretty much stuck at Stateside for a run or two. I looked at the trail map and it looks like if I really put a lot of thought into it I could get back to the Tram but might get stuck at stateside.

skiking4

Great advice! It seems like I definitely need to hit the *TRAM* (lol I wrote Gondola earlier) a lot more this time. Now if I take the tram and go down Valhalla or Green Beret, is it easy to head back to the tram area or am pretty much stuck at Stateside for a run or two. I looked at the trail map and it looks like if I really put a lot of thought into it I could get back to the Tram but might get stuck at stateside.

Nah it's real easy. Valhalla -> Canyonland (make your own entrances) to a downhill traverse to some green run. It's great, and maybe you might want to poke into the woods on skier's left of that bottom green run, but at the same time, prob not.

M4TTYICE

Nah it's real easy. Valhalla -> Canyonland (make your own entrances) to a downhill traverse to some green run. It's great, and maybe you might want to poke into the woods on skier's left of that bottom green run, but at the same time, prob not.

It's possible to cut into Canyonland after Valhalla? I'm looking at the map and it looks nearly impossible but if it is...that'd be awesome!

skiking4

Well it's Jay Peak... stop following the map and enter woods wherever you want.

skiking4

Very true :) You're allowed to ski anywhere inbounds (as long as it isn't closed), correct?

Yeah, pretty much, just be careful when you're dishing into lesser known/unmarked tree areas. Anyways, you can do that any area pretty much.

luvinjaycloud

Yes, there is unofficial access to canyon land below valhalla and off of northway. you just need to pick your way through the first part and it will open up eventually into canyon land. An easier access would be to enter upper milk and dip into the trees on skiers left which is canyon land. you'll still be able to access lower glades, show off or bonny glade, if you really like to ski trees. I would stay with the basics if you are going this weekend. the mountain skis much differently during or right after a foot dump versus when there hasn't been snow for a few days. Most glades will still have plenty of cover. tram laps are tough during the weekend. make them early.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Valhalla to Canyonland would be pretty challenging without traversing uphill and doing a little side slipping. The only way to do that would be to get up and over onto Upper Milk Run and duck in from there. I can't see it being done unless your do a little side stepping if you stay far skier's left in Valhalla. Kinda pointless, there are far better tree options from Valhalla besides the lower portion of Canyonland (and while I am biased against Canyonland as the worst glad I Jay, even if you think it is the best, there are better tree options available from Valhalla exit regardless).