• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay

Savemeasammy

I have received authorization from the proper authority (my wife) to ski this Saturday. I'm thinking Jay. The forecast for N. Troy at this point is 40 degrees and sunny. I'm not sure how that will translate on the mountain. Are there any regulars who can offer their thoughts on how skiable the mountain would be if it were in, say, the mid 30's? I'd hate to drive 3ish hours for a day of punishing skiing on bulletproof, but I'd love to get up there while most of the mountain is still open...

Savemeasammy

Nice. That's a pretty cool site. As if I didn't waste enough time on the internet already...!

ScottySkis

Yes the forecaster and member if A zone is Winnchill and he comes on here a lot to help all with great forecasting for the hills.

kingdom-tele

you should be good to go, woke up to 15F this AM. 4-6 since last night, another 4?- ? tonight, sun comes out thursday but then back into the clouds friday with snow globe conditions. the upper mountain has yet to really thaw. the bottom is a bit o coral reef where it hasn't been tilled. lots of wind today doing the normal wood refill. lower brooks have opened but everything else is fat and fun skiing.

don't expect peel away corn. it is still winter this week.

you can always check here...
http://www.erh.noaa.gov/btv/mountain/

or just point and click over the mountain of choice for the general idea.

Last edited:

Savemeasammy

Does anyone want to throw in their 2 cents about what terrain shouldn't be missed?

dlague

So far this season, Jay has not really seen spring yet! They keep getting snow! With the new snow recently, Andrea's Paradise and Beaver Pond should be good!

As far as trails not to miss - -well it depends what you are looking for - want bumps head up the Jet chair! Want gnarly glades take the Tram up and head down the face! Want more skiable glades - the couple I mentioned above and the glades off Bonnaventure are fun to ski! Valhalla is a must! Cruising? Then pick a trail - any trail! Northway has a failry flat section which blows but it can be avoided!

Savemeasammy

Maybe 25 years ago! It was one of those late season days where it was raining everywhere until you got to Jay. I skied with some mediocre skiers, and I'm not sure what they had for glades back then...

C-Rex

Jay has some great trails, but really, it's all about the glades. Everything is really good. Along with the ones mentioned above, I'd be sure to hit Canyonland. Some really fun stuff in there. Also if it's windy on the Tram side (and it almost always is), head over to Stateside and it's usually pretty calm. Enjoy! Jay is a fantastic mountain!

JimG.

Staff member
Have you never been? I was there yesterday and all the glades were good. Beaver Pond, Andre's, Everglade, Show Off, Timbuktu, etc. everything was good. You can't really go wrong if you're in the trees...

The online trial map is very good regarding the glades...if you click on one of the glades on that map it shows you how to access it, where it empties out, what to avoid, and a general description of difficulty.

dlague

The online trial map is very good regarding the glades...if you click on one of the glades on that map it shows you how to access it, where it empties out, what to avoid, and a general description of difficulty.

JimG. Thanks for that little tidbit of clicking on the glades on the trail map - I never knew that! Of course, I have been through most of it so I do not really need it any more but good to know for newdies to Jay!

I grew up on Jay, worked there as a teenager and as a result have brought my family there 3-4 times per year! Our kids love it and can not get enough of the woods! My wife also considers this her favorite mountain - naturally, I am biased! Can Jay Peak be tough some times hell ya! But more often then not - it is awesome! Based on this seasons Jay Cloud production - it should be great this weekend! Unfortunately, we are Mt Snow, Bolton Valley and Sugarbush bound!

BTW, My older kids knew it before the expansion and were not to crazy about the new stuff but they use it now so....

Savemeasammy

Thanks, Nick. I'm enjoying the interaction with fellow diehards. I'm trying to recruit a few buddies to join AZ too!

Gilligan

So far this season, Jay has not really seen spring yet! They keep getting snow! With the new snow recently, Andrea's Paradise and Beaver Pond should be good!

As far as trails not to miss - -well it depends what you are looking for - want bumps head up the Jet chair! Want gnarly glades take the Tram up and head down the face! Want more skiable glades - the couple I mentioned above and the glades off Bonnaventure are fun to ski! Valhalla is a must! Cruising? Then pick a trail - any trail! Northway has a failry flat section which blows but it can be avoided!
Such enthusiasm! Every one of your sentences ends with an exclamation point (except for the one question mark). Reminds me of an old Seinfeld episode!!!