• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jet Blue announces direct flights from Boston to Steamboat

Glenn

Very cool! That'll certainly make things easier for getting out there.

Jully

Awesome, though they added Bozeman from Long Beach which would have been even cooler. Puts steamboat on the list for trips next year though. GF would love it.

JDMRoma

Wow !! That takes all the pain out of going to Steamboat !! Holy Crap ! Wish I still had a place to stay there.

bdfreetuna

Good to know, thanks. Never been but it's always seemed an attractive destination , perhaps friendlier to East coast tree skiers than most Colorado hills. Almost made it there this year on business. Now we got a little girl in the picture and maybe another on the way in the future, main goal (personally) is improving my fitness and technique even as I approach year 40, so at that point I'll hopefully be able to really cash in on destination skiing/vacations with the family.

Figured if I go back to CO it's going to be Steamboat & Winter Park for starters. Only place I've skied in CO was Telluride... and I would go back, but half of the attraction there is the town itself. As for the ski resort, I can see the attraction if you are accustomed to it and willing to ski the extreme terrain. I like to feel my way out before potentially risking injury, and things were a bit firm/crusty when I went. Someone who skis East Coast trees can be intimidated there as much as someone used to bowl skiing will be intimidated by the tight and surfy nature of our Eastern trees. But, it's basically Apres Ski paradise, closest we have out here is Stowe or maybe Lake Placid. Imagine the best of both but condensed into a walkable area, with the lifts within walking distance of the whole town, and a higher density of actually cool bars/restaurants/dispensaries/etc.

Would suck to lose a kid in Telluride though... lol

Last edited:

Edd

But, it's basically Apres Ski paradise, closest we have out here is Stowe or maybe Lake Placid. Imagine the best of both but condensed into a walkable area, with the lifts within walking distance of the whole town, and a higher density of actually cool bars/restaurants/dispensaries/etc.

That description also fits Aspen to a T; definitely in my top 3 western trips I’ve done. Like Steamboat, it’s a pain to get to but we were sure happy we did it.

p_levert

Just to make it clear to those that don't know Steamboat, the center of town is not that close to the base of the lifts. If you want town at the base of the lifts, there's Aspen, Park City and Telluride.

jaytrem

Just to make it clear to those that don't know Steamboat, the center of town is not that close to the base of the lifts. If you want town at the base of the lifts, there's Aspen, Park City and Telluride.

There are lifts within walking distance, just not the ones people are thinking of. :)

CoolMike

Good to know, thanks. Never been but it's always seemed an attractive destination , perhaps friendlier to East coast tree skiers than most Colorado hills. Almost made it there this year on business. Now we got a little girl in the picture and maybe another on the way in the future, main goal (personally) is improving my fitness and technique even as I approach year 40, so at that point I'll hopefully be able to really cash in on destination skiing/vacations with the family.

Figured if I go back to CO it's going to be Steamboat & Winter Park for starters. Only place I've skied in CO was Telluride... and I would go back, but half of the attraction there is the town itself. As for the ski resort, I can see the attraction if you are accustomed to it and willing to ski the extreme terrain. I like to feel my way out before potentially risking injury, and things were a bit firm/crusty when I went. Someone who skis East Coast trees can be intimidated there as much as someone used to bowl skiing will be intimidated by the tight and surfy nature of our Eastern trees. But, it's basically Apres Ski paradise, closest we have out here is Stowe or maybe Lake Placid. Imagine the best of both but condensed into a walkable area, with the lifts within walking distance of the whole town, and a higher density of actually cool bars/restaurants/dispensaries/etc.

Would suck to lose a kid in Telluride though... lol

Telluride is a tough first mountain to ride in CO. Keystone and Breckenridge are both much flatter in comparison and have good amenities. Then when you're feeling comfortable or the weather is great you get to hit up Arapahoe basin for the gnar. There are some awesome steeps there as well as some extreme spots but I believe still more forgiving than Telluride. I understand the lower risk tolerance once you start a family - I had the same thing happen to me after my first born.

Looking at Steamboat it looks pretty cool and family friendly. The direct flight is a pretty nice perk too.

Killingtime

There is a free bus that runs from the ski area to the town if you are lucky enough to stay at a place that is on the route. It worked out great for me. No need to rent a car.

Edd

Pulled the trigger on flights for the last week in March. It came in at under $300/person round trip which includes a checked bag.

Last edited:

jimk

Steamboat report from seven years ago, might still have some useful info? http://www.dcski.com/articles/1330
It's not the most gnarly place, but the area is very welcoming and has a wonderful remoteness to it that is unlike all the Colorado ski resorts along I70.

Last edited:

JDMRoma

Steamboat report from seven years ago, might still have some useful info? http://www.dcski.com/articles/1330
It's not the most gnarly place, but the area is very welcoming and has a wonderful remoteness to it that is unlike all the Colorado ski resorts along I70.

Pretty Cool report, pretty much hit it up just like that when I went during Christmas a few years ago.
worst thing was getting from DIA over to Steamboat.....this direct flight is a game changer for sure !

Have Fun Edd !

Edd

Thanks guys! Really looking forward to it.

Edit: Great report Jimk! I’ll keep it handy.

Last edited: