• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jet Blue is pissing me off

abc

Airlines make ski resort “customer service” smell like roses!

Seats even a midget can barely squeeze in, bag fees, delays and missed connections in sunny fair weather only because it rains in south america... now massive cancellation without excuse!

But wait, the excuse was weather and traffic controllers! Weather that only affects Southwest??? Is that the lamest joke or what?

deadheadskier

Staff member
The seats are my biggest gripe and more the width than the leg room, but both suck on almost all airlines today. Leg room in 2-6" less than the 80s, width 2-5" less as well. Yet the average American male is an inch taller and 25# heavier. Congress actually passed legislation two years ago mandating the FAA set a minimum standard, but the purpose was more about safety to evacuate, not comfort.

I know these things because I spent 7.5 hours yesterday on a plane coming home from San Diego with a guy big enough to play Offensive Line in the NFL spilling over into my space. It was miserable, so I read about why it was so miserable.

And why was I on that plane for the extra 1.5 hours? We sat on the ground for an extra hour before take off as they had a hard time "balancing the plane" eventually asking 5 passengers to get off. Then at Logan it took 30 minutes for a gate to open up.

Also in the 80s, you could definitely expect a meal on a cross country flight (not a good one, but something) and a snack. Yesterday we got one small bag of Chex mix for the entire flight.

And this was on Alaska Airlines, which generally gets more positive reviews than the average carrier.

If the airlines returned to the average seat size and service of the 80s plus the modern TV and WiFi tech? Think of how much better flying would be.

Flying has become a race to the bottom. The Vail model of business. Lol 😆

jimmywilson69

this is why I drink several cocktails prior to a flight. Get on the plane with a nice buzz, put on some pink floyd and off to la la land

Reactions: Edd

deadheadskier

Staff member
I suppose several cocktails could still be an option for a 7AM flight like mine yesterday, but I'm not sure if that would have helped with the NFL lineman falling asleep and leaning on me throughout much of the flight.

jimmywilson69

yeah I've not had to sit next to a large dude like that DHS. I'm fairly small myself, so the seats actually aren't an issue for me. I don't know how someone that large flies coach, it must really suck...

thetrailboss

Staff member
Airlines make ski resort “customer service” smell like roses!

Seats even a midget can barely squeeze in, bag fees, delays and missed connections in sunny fair weather only because it rains in south america... now massive cancellation without excuse!

But wait, the excuse was weather and traffic controllers! Weather that only affects Southwest??? Is that the lamest joke or what?
Why does SWA say weather? Because per their policy people can't get a refund (at least easily). I can't believe how they have fallen so hard. Herb is a rolling in his grave.

abc

Why does SWA say weather? Because per their policy people can't get a refund (at least easily). I can't believe how they have fallen so hard. Herb is a rolling in his grave.
Not unless the specific flight was affected directly by weather. Not just because the crew got stuck in weather happening elsewhere.

That excuse "won't fly" for the affected people.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Not unless the specific flight was affected directly by weather. Not just because the crew got stuck in weather happening elsewhere.

That excuse "won't fly" for the affected people.
Completely agree.

crystalmountainskier

That's not the policy. If a Southwest flight is delayed by more than 90 minutes or canceled, the passenger is entitled to a refund. Not a credit. The reason for the delay doesn't matter. The airlines seem to have done a really good job preventing people from understanding their rights.

thetrailboss

Staff member
That's not the policy. If a Southwest flight is delayed by more than 90 minutes or canceled, the passenger is entitled to a refund. Not a credit. The reason for the delay doesn't matter. The airlines seem to have done a really good job preventing people from understanding their rights.
Absolutely.

I feel so bad for the SWA customer service people.

So Inclined

I can easily drive out to Colorado. But beyond that will be hard to do unless we got lucky enough for permanent WFH. So my pass strategy had that as the basic assumption that I will be driving to ski this winter.

USA-california-zephyr-map.jpg

If you're a particular type of person (I am) and have an abundance of time (I have, at least in the past) this can be the non-airborne way to go! My favorite way to go to Taos (rental car from ABQ or Denver) and I've been hoping to do it to Whitefish and/or Big Sky sometime. No charge for bringing ski bags/gear onboard was always nice.

abc

I feel so bad for the SWA customer service people.
I feel bad for ANY customer service people.

Customer only call when they have a problem. They're typically not in the best mood when the phone got answered. The solutions are rarely straight forward. (those that are, would typically already computerized). It depends on the organization, more often than not, the "customer service" people have no power to actually come up with any real solution. Their job is trying to get the customer to accept a solution that has minimum impact to the organization. It's rarely what the customer wanted.