• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jet Blue is pissing me off

machski

It's a bit more involved than this article. Basically SW crews have stopped volunteering to fly extra days, because the company is so short they were then forcing those who volunteered an extra day into a new 3 day trip. Most have said no to the forced extra days and so are not picking up any open time trips.

crystalmountainskier

It's a bit more involved than this article. Basically SW crews have stopped volunteering to fly extra days, because the company is so short they were then forcing those who volunteered an extra day into a new 3 day trip. Most have said no to the forced extra days and so are not picking up any open time trips.
Gary Kelly said on CNBC yesterday pilots were actually picking up more trips last weekend than average.

VTKilarney

Leg room in 2-6" less than the 80s

To be fair, the seats are thinner now than they were in the 80's, so the overall decline in legroom is less. You also have more options these days for extra legroom seats, but they come at a price if you are not an elite flyer.

I flew to Manchester, NH from Palm Springs yesterday via Dallas and Chicago. You would never guess that there is a pandemic. The airports are packed. And with the labor shortage, I had some of the worst customer service ever in the airport. I tried to bring some Garrett's popcorn home to my family during my Chicago layover. I watched the worker take about five minutes just to put on a pair of gloves. It was almost as if he was taunting the two of us in line. And after everything was packaged up, he decided it was a good time to tell me that they were only accepting cash - which I don't carry.

The airlines are also using Covid as an excuse to cut services. The meals in first class were pretty much a joke (e.g. an egg salad sandwich for breakfast, a ham sandwich for lunch) - and some flights didn't even have a meal, such as the flight from Dallas to Chicago that left at 12:05 PM. We got to choose from a "snack basket" - which meant corn nuts and vegan cookies. Unfortunately, my employer has cracked down on flying first class because the prices have gone through the roof (thanks to Covid), so this will be my last trip in the front of the cabin for a while.

On a side note, I really like the Manchester airport. I know that their passenger numbers have dwindled, but it's still a nice place to fly out of. The parking garage is extremely convenient and there aren't any crowds. Spirit Airlines now serves Manchester. And as much as my brain tells me to avoid Spirit at all costs, their "Big Comfy Seat" is one of the best deals out there. My biggest issue with Spirit is that there are VERY limited options if your flight is cancelled.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
fly out of Manchester almost exclusively for personal travel even though it means an occasional layover. Logan isn't worth the hassle for direct flights. Logan can be cheaper, but time is money. And Logan parking is outrageous. $114 for 48 hours in the central garage

VTKilarney

fly out of Manchester almost exclusively for personal travel even though it means an occasional layover. Logan isn't worth the hassle for direct flights. Logan can be cheaper, but time is money. And Logan parking is outrageous. $114 for 48 hours in the central garage

For me, Logan is an extra hour drive. I also insist on getting there much earlier because I worry about traffic. And I won't pay the garage rates, so add on even more time for parking at Pre Flight Parking (the best off-site parking, IMHO). All this means that Logan isn't much of a time-saver for me, even if I can get a direct flight out of Logan.

Smellytele

I choose Logan as the prices are a lot cheaper than Manchester. I get someone to drive me and pick us up. My oldest son has “volunteered” for our next trip. Used to use Manchester all the time. Prices just went up so much compared to Boston.
Actually last trip out of Manchester our flight was canceled after we were already at the airport. They hired a car for us and drove us to Boston, gave us a shit ton of food vouchers but had to wait in Boston for a few hours for our flight.

thetrailboss

Staff member
MHT and PWM are ghost towns. It’s sad. I wish SWA would increase their MHT presence to what it once was. BOS is a PITA for me.

thetrailboss

Staff member

jimmywilson69

SWA is typically on point with customer service. I fly them exclusively and have a lot of points, so maybe I'm biased. I'm guessing the airline supply chain is stressed as much as any other supply chain at the moment. Was it some sort of call out protest? I'd like to think they'd own up to it, but who knows. Or are they struggling to regain pre-pandemic form as well.

lets hope this doesn't happen next week as I'm flying to FL to visit my son at college...

jimmywilson69

yeah those are long gone. I think its some sort of snack mix now. I usually don't even take it, mainly because I'm not hungry. I just wish people would stop being assholes on the planes, so I can cash in some free drink tickets....

deadheadskier

Staff member
yeah those are long gone. I think its some sort of snack mix now. I usually don't even take it, mainly because I'm not hungry. I just wish people would stop being assholes on the planes, so I can cash in some free drink tickets....

???

They were serving alcohol on my Delta flights on Saturday. Didn't notice with Alaska Airlines on Monday

Kingslug20

Delta has good cookies...funny thing is when your at the back of the plane..and thats all thats left on the menu...yes..flying sux.

Zand

I've taken 22 flights since COVID started, only once did I see a disturbance/argument (naturally on a Denver-Hartford flight, two places with a relatively high douchebag population).

To throw my two cents into the airline debate, I've always kind of been a Jetblue loyalist (and used Delta if JetBlue wasn't possible) but their pull has definitely been wearing off the past couple years. That said, I get a few free flights per year out of the credit card plus free bags and half price booze (which they HAVE been selling since spring). Plus the guarantee of free DirecTV and Wi-Fi is a plus that is very rare in the airline industry.

I've started flying Spirit more often for short flights recently and I find them highly worth using. Hell, next month I got roundtrip airfare to Myrtle Beach for $45. Yes their bag fees are high...don't bring a f*cking bag then (or purchase it early to get a more normal bag fee). Yes they're kind of dickish, but who else is gonna take you 1,000 miles for $45? I saw flights to Orlando for $36 round trip a couple weeks ago...if I had a reason to go there I would go once a month at that price.

I've flown United twice (to get to Jackson) the past 2 years and their seats are the absolute tightest and most uncomfortable of all airlines (including Spirit). I said I was done with them after my 2020 trip, but $200 RT came up for Jackson last Feb and it was $175 cheaper than any other flight anywhere in the west, so I jumped on it.

Last week I flew brand new Breeze Airlines from Hartford to Columbus. I had high hopes as they were founded by the same guy as JetBlue, but turns out they're a more expensive Spirit. No in flight amenities, they charge for drinks and snacks, bag fees are stupid high, and their flights are perennially 45 minutes late. I have no problem paying Spirit prices for that kind of experience, but $180 roundtrip is way too much to be treated like that.

I still keep JetBlue at the top of my rankings, but they're slipping to Delta. Hopefully they don't keep sliding too far back.

Kingslug20

My biggest fear is losing my stuff on a ski trip..and the way things are now..that is more of a reality.

drjeff

My biggest fear is losing my stuff on a ski trip..and the way things are now..that is more of a reality.
In the past, when I have a couple of extra days ahead of, and after my trips out West that I won't be using my ski gear, I have shipped via Fed Ex my families gear to/from our destination. You pay for it, however you also get the peace of mind that Fed Ex delivers with their reliability of getting things where you want on time