• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jet Blue is pissing me off

machski

Uncommon is an understatement. United's involuntarily bump rate is less than 1 in 100,000 passengers. They virtually eliminated the bump after the Dr. Dao fiasco by paying people up to $10,000 not to board voluntarily. Delta routinely goes months without a single denied boarding, Basic Economy or otherwise.

I fly Delta Basic all the time and it's not bad at all. Same baggage rules as Main Cabin and you get whatever seats are left. Some of the time that is Comfort+ if not enough people paid to upgrade. You arrive the same time as everyone else on the plane and save money.
It will all be good if you fly solo until you experience a missed connection or a cancelled flight. If you have status, it might help negate some of what will come after, but otherwise you likely will feel quite differently about Basic after.

2planks2coasts

Just got my wife a round trip to see her parents in January in fla for $75 on spirit.
Spirit is much like basic economy. If you know what you're getting into, it can be ok. You will probably get there the day you planned. If you're not familiar with the exorbitant bag fees, nonreclining seats, paying for a soda, etc, etc, then it can be downright miserable.

Spirit used to charge a $22 "internet booking fee" you could avoid if you went and purchased your ticket at the airport.

abc

It will all be good if you fly solo until you experience a missed connection or a cancelled flight.
There’s no advantage on cancelled flight, whatever tier your ticket is. Everyone is inline for rebooking for the next available seat. Actually, the ones with the fastest phone gets the next available seat.

Missed connection? What’s that? ;) I have the luxury of almost always fly direct. With 3 airports in the NYC area, I can always find a direct flight even to the end of the world. :)

you likely will feel quite differently about Basic after.
I’ve had plenty of cancelled flights in all my ski trips. Haven‘t changed how I feel about Basic fare. :)

And I suspect there’re a lot of people like me. Because Basic is still the class of ticket that are gone earliest. The only time I fly any other classes that cost more, is only because Basic is already sold out! A lot of folks still haven’t changed how they feel about Basic, you can keep on waiting for them to change their mind. Me too, so I can slide into their slot to save some money! ;)

2planks2coasts

There’s no advantage on cancelled flight, whatever tier your ticket is. Everyone is inline for rebooking for the next available seat. Actually, the ones with the fastest phone gets the next available seat.
This is incorrect. Most rebooking is automatic in priority order. Even when done by an agent it goes by status then fare class.
https://www.latimes.com/business/la...american-rebooking-policy-20181012-story.html
I’ve had plenty of cancelled flights in all my ski trips. Haven‘t changed how I feel about Basic fare. :)

And I suspect there’re a lot of people like me. Because Basic is still the class of ticket that are gone earliest. The only time I fly any other classes that cost more, is only because Basic is already sold out! A lot of folks still haven’t changed how they feel about Basic, you can keep on waiting for them to change their mind. Me too, so I can slide into their slot to save some money! ;)

Hey, I hope they keep offering them too. I'm lucky enough to have at least low level status on all the big carriers, so I get the seat selection, the checked bag and the cheap fare. Do I book basic economy for loved ones without status? Nope.

machski

This is incorrect. Most rebooking is automatic in priority order. Even when done by an agent it goes by status then fare class.
https://www.latimes.com/business/la...american-rebooking-policy-20181012-story.html

Hey, I hope they keep offering them too. I'm lucky enough to have at least low level status on all the big carriers, so I get the seat selection, the checked bag and the cheap fare. Do I book basic economy for loved ones without status? Nope.
Yup, ABC is apparently living in his own world. I never have to talk to an agent to rebook, it is automatic. And I NEVER book basic, often I can get a main cabin ticket for only 10 or 20 more.

flakeydog

I suspect a lot of people end up buying these "Basic" fare tickets because they have no idea they are actually buying. Most people have finally gotten used to the bag fees but many still do not expect to pay extra for a seat or carry-on bag. Also, many third-party sites (like Travelocity, Expedia, etc) offer them almost interchangeably, you really have to look carefully to tell what class of ticket you got. Kind of like the "resort fees" that many hotels tack on after the fact so that they can show a lower up-front price.

JoeB-Z

Spirit is much like basic economy. If you know what you're getting into, it can be ok. You will probably get there the day you planned. If you're not familiar with the exorbitant bag fees, nonreclining seats, paying for a soda, etc, etc, then it can be downright miserable.

Spirit used to charge a $22 "internet booking fee" you could avoid if you went and purchased your ticket at the airport.
Funny. I used to do a weekend "commute" from LaGuardia to Detroit and back for like $100 rt about 20 years ago. I bought the tickets well in advance. The flight timing was great but the plane! Kinda dirty, smelled like jet fuel. To me it compared to the crummy public buses of the 1970s. I would bring no luggage as I think the fees and chance of trouble were already in there. It was like riding the dog with wings and more chance to lose your luggage.

abc

I suspect a lot of people end up buying these "Basic" fare tickets because they have no idea they are actually buying.
Save your suspense for yourself. Everyone knows what they're buying into!

The airline waste no opportunity to "offer" "upgrades" for "a little extra" the moment you pick the rock bottom "basic economy" fare!!! Those who want it had ample reminders to choose a different fare that suit them better.

Back in the days when I had a bi-coastal affair, I made that bi-coastal flight every other weekend (my other half did the alternate weekends). Those were the days when bags fly for free. But I had no need for bags. I've had half of my belongings already at the destination. There's nothing I need to bring with me on the plane! But I had to pay the same fare as those who brought two giant suitcases! (even when my Mom came to visit us, she came with a school bag that has has a couple set of change clothes, that's it! Everything else she may need, we had plenty of)

The reality is, there're plenty of people who don't need all the frills. Not even those some of you considered "essentials". Those are the people who're buying up all the basic economy seats. So save your concern for the unwashed masses. They prefer to stay unwashed, so to speak.

Mum skier

I suspect a lot of people end up buying these "Basic" fare tickets because they have no idea they are actually buying. Most people have finally gotten used to the bag fees but many still do not expect to pay extra for a seat or carry-on bag. Also, many third-party sites (like Travelocity, Expedia, etc) offer them almost interchangeably, you really have to look carefully to tell what class of ticket you got. Kind of like the "resort fees" that many hotels tack on after the fact so that they can show a lower up-front price.
I buy them because as a family of 4 who are limited to flying at peak school vacation times flights are expensive. And gives me an excuse not to sit on the plane with the kids! I live wiht my family, I am ok not to sit next to them for a few hours on a flight.....

KustyTheKlown

i booked on american for my idaho trip. basic fares but booked with miles and i am an American airlines credit card holder so i get whatever clout that bestows., i am flying on a non-holiday Wednesday and Monday. my flight out of newark is at 5 AM, and in my experience those first flights of the day are least likely to be fucked up. some tight connections in dallas in both directions. fingers crossed

machski

For all of you Basic Economy fare fans, be careful on Delta now. Pretty much all the pandemic refunds are gone, a cancelled Basic ticket will only net you a partial credit on your Delta account and no more earning Skymiles or MQMs for ANYONE on Basic fares.

Edd

Ah man. Haven’t flown since Covid got going. Considering a trip to Greece in April but I’m so unexcited to hop on a plane now. I used to love it.

Zand

Ah man. Haven’t flown since Covid got going. Considering a trip to Greece in April but I’m so unexcited to hop on a plane now. I used to love it.
Honestly during the height of Covid, flying was great. No lines, uncrowded airports, rows to yourself on the plane.

Now...not so much.