• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jiminy Peak - 12/21/2006

Greg

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: Thursday, 12/21/2006 - 9:45 am - 2:00 pm

Resort or Ski Area: Jiminy Peak, Hancock, Massachusetts

Conditions: Machine groomed, LGR, some hard pack. Partly cloudy early, Sunny PM, Breezy at the cliffs on West Way. Temp around 40.

Trip Report: My father-in-law and I made a somewhat last minute decision to go skiing today and opted for Jiminy Peak. Had to take care of a few things this morning but sat down on the six at 9:45. The skiing was decent and Jiminy offered up a number of trail options - Left Bank, West Way, North Glade/Lower Glade to 360 or Lower Slingshot, The Foxes. The surface was pretty good with a lot of loose granular and machine groomed with some hard pack and death cookies thrown in.

We skied until a bit before noon and then had burger at Christiansen's. Ten runs in the morning. Got back out for 7 more runs in the afternoon before calling it quits around 2 pm. No more than a 2 chair wait for the six. Jiminy seems to have taken the approach of opening as much terrain as possible versus really blasting on a few select runs. The snow was thin in spots with some pretty rocky areas; most notably the Foxes and Raccon's Den and at some of the merges. Overall the coverage was pretty decent though - certainly nothing that would cause any base damage, but not quite edge-to-edge. Whitetail has a decent amount of snow on it, but it's far from ready. Like most places, Jiminy is struggling for the end of December.

Nevertheless, still a really great day out and nice to spend some quality time with the pops-in-law. A few pics to follow...

Greg

Staff member
Good stuff, was wondering where you been all day. Damn, I got some skiing to do, you starting to catch up.

I doubt I'll pass you Andy. Don't worry. Here are some pics:

Grand Slam from Left Bank:
IMG_1136.jpg

Dan on Left Bank:
IMG_1138.jpg

Riding the Six:
IMG_1140.jpg

Base area from the six-pack:
IMG_1141.jpg

Greg on North Glade:
IMG_1143.jpg

Greg on Upper Slingshot:
IMG_1146.jpg

Greylock from Left Bank:
IMG_1147.jpg

View from the base:
IMG_1149.jpg

Whitetail in waiting:
IMG_1150.jpg

Today was the breakout day for the season as the technique started to click. I held a good forward position today with subtle pressure on the boot tongues all day. I really worked on initiating turns with the tips and driving the ski through the end of the turn. I also worked on tightening up the stance (not that you can tell from the above pics). I need to get a tighter stance for the bumps. My boots are normally 10-12" apart and I'd like to get it down consistently to 4-6".

Grassi21

Nice selection of trails. I have to hit Jiminy a few times this season.