• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Junior Boots - Race

askstowell

Daughter moving up to J4 this upcoming season and we haven't been picky about boots, partly because we don't know any better and partly because we trade in/get new at discount at our local shop. She's maxed out that program now and despite her liking the boots she's had in the past, I want to make sure she's in the right boot for racing.

So, any thoughts on what boot we should be looking at for a new J4, 11 year old girl who races? How it should feel, act, etc. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated as we're looking at getting her fitted and ready to go later in the fall so I thought now would be the time to start some research. Thanks!

tree_skier

Go to a shop that specializes in racing. In southern vermont it is the starting gate in stratton. If you walk in and they don't have a large selection of adult race skis walk out as they are not catering to racing.

I have had my kids in Fischers for the past few seasons a very nice boot.

Also VARA has a fit day at Pokemo on September 16. There will be most of the manufacturers there with stock to fit equipement. You do need to be a vara member to attend. Other state associations may do the same thing.

kbroderick

If you're closer to Northern Vermont, give PJ Dewey at Race Stock Sports a call or email. He's one of the best and deals with a lot of junior racers.

In more general terms, you want a boot that fits snugly (if her feet decide to grow a size-and-a-half during the season, you'll probably need to buy new boots...such is life); "room to grow" will result in crummy performance and frustration. You also want a boot that is stiff enough while still being something she can flex, keeping in mind that plastic tends to get much stiffer at -20 deg. F than inside a shop on a September day. And it wouldn't hurt to plan on spending some time with a competent bootfitter; you may want to ask your coaches for local recommendations if Waterbury is a bit much of a drive.