• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Just booked my N VT ski wknd!

xwhaler

Sharing my excitement with all of you---got a Groupon package to the Essex Resort in Essex Jct VT. March 7-10 which should be a good time to get everything open up there.

Doing a 3 night stay so it gives us some time to settle in and not feel so rushed. My wife and I have stayed here the last 2 yrs on Groupon/Travelzoo deals and it works out very well as a 'home base' for the wknd. 20 mins to Burlington where we'll go for dinner one of the nights as well as a culinary winning restaurant + tavern on site (we prefer the tavern--same quality and much cheaper/relaxing). And relatively close to a bunch of major mtns. We have been upgraded into mini suites the last 2 yrs so hoping for the same again---this works well with ski gear and having breakfast/appetizers in the room.

They have a nice spa on site with indoor pool/outdoor hot tub and sauna/steam room etc. Makes it easier bringing the wife with me when she knows she can enjoy that after a day of skiing!

So skiing game plan is:
Sat--Jay Peak---appears to be about an hour away. Have only skied Jay once about 6 yrs ago on a frigid cold/windy March day so excited to check it out.

Sunday-Smuggs----have skied Smuggs the last 2 yrs when we have done this trip and we love the mtn.

Monday--check out and hit Middlebury on the way home....seems like a good spot on the way home and give us some time to let our legs recover from Jay/Smuggs.

Will use SkiVT passes to Jay/Smuggs for one of us and Fox44 for the other. Middlebury is also on the Fox44 card and I'll just get a cheap liftopia ticket for my wife most likely.
We could instead hit MRG over either Jay or Middlebury but I feel with my wife being an intermediate and not venturing into the woods we may be better off elsewhere.

Sorry for rambling but just wanted to share some ski trip planning stoke with you all!

xwhaler

We like it because its pretty centrally located as a home base. 2 yrs ago we skied Sugarbush (45 mins) and Smuggs (30 mins). Last yr I skied MRG (40)/Smuggs.
That combined with Burlington 20 mins away and the accomodation value for the price we're paying makes it attractive for a mini ski vacation.

Huck_It_Baby

Sounds like a great trip. Why skip Stowe? You get a better value with the SkiVT pass if you use it at a more expensive resort.

Interesting you are staying at the Essex for a ski trip though the proximity to the resorts is pretty decent.

My GF works at the Essex Spa as a Massage Therapist and says it's a pretty nice place!

xwhaler

Sounds like a great trip. Why skip Stowe? You get a better value with the SkiVT pass if you use it at a more expensive resort.

I've never skied Stowe so I have certainly thought about it. However, I want to really combine SkiVT with the Fox44 card and Stowe is not on the Fox44 so I'd need to buy a ticket outright. Given I've already invested enough I'd rather use mtns that I have on the card.

Huck_It_Baby

I've never skied Stowe so I have certainly thought about it. However, I want to really combine SkiVT with the Fox44 card and Stowe is not on the Fox44 so I'd need to buy a ticket outright. Given I've already invested enough I'd rather use mtns that I have on the card.

I might be misunderstanding what your SkiVT deal is then. I thought it was the deal where you buy 3 or 5 tickets and can only use them at 1 mountain each. Stowe is included on this list.

I'm sure you will have a great time wherever you go! Can't go wrong in Northern VT!

xwhaler

I might be misunderstanding what your SkiVT deal is then. I thought it was the deal where you buy 3 or 5 tickets and can only use them at 1 mountain each. Stowe is included on this list.

I'm sure you will have a great time wherever you go! Can't go wrong in Northern VT!

Yes, I bought the 3 pack. However I also have the Fox 44 card which includes Smuggs, Jay, Middlebury, MRG among others.
So plan was Saturday use a Jay Fox44 + 1 Ski VT voucher, Sunday Smuggs Fox44+ 1 Ski VT, Monday=Middlebury or MRG (Ski VT+Fox44)
That maximizes the use of the vouchers and Fox44 deal I have I think.

Would love to make it to Stowe though at some point. I can;t quite bring myself to drop $90+ at Stowe when I have vouchers nearby that would otherwise go un-used.
This will be my only trip up to N VT in all reality this season hence my thought process.

Savemeasammy

Sounds like a great trip, and I didn't read any mention of a little one(s) - so that's an added bonus! Wink, wink...!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MadMadWorld

MRG can be fun for all levels but if you go on a Monday your terrain choices for intermediates are limited because the Practice Slope and Birdland chair don't run during the week. If you were to hit it up I might suggest a weekend. Not sure if Pico is open on Mondays but my vote would be for that. Great intermediate terrain with non existent lift lines.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AlpineZone mobile app

xwhaler

Sounds like a great trip, and I didn't read any mention of a little one(s) - so that's an added bonus! Wink, wink...!

Nope! My son will be home with the in laws! He will be with his grandparents for this trip and the AZ Summit

Sent from my VS980 4G using AlpineZone mobile app

Savemeasammy

Nope! My son will be home with the in laws! He will be with his grandparents for this trip and the AZ Summit

Sent from my VS980 4G using AlpineZone mobile app

Our in-laws will be watching our boys during the summit. They just don't know it yet. ;)