• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Kayak Advice

thetrailboss

Staff member
So Ms. TB and I are looking at kayaking for this summer. We're hoping to find some used ones. I have done some before...whitewater and recreational. We're leaning for the latter. My problem: I need one for my long legs.

I looked on EMS' website and saw THIS MODEL which will be on sale this weekend...and at a very good price. Anyone have it?

We're looking for versatility....slow to medium rivers at most, lakes and ponds will be the norm. Out for a few hours at most.

cbcbd

While I haven't paddled the Pamlico 100, it's a recreational kayak... it should have good primary stability (doesn't rock around alot when you're just sitting on it) because of the flatter hull - so, good, "relaxing" kayaking.

Good for lakes, rivers (flat hull and small length make it easier to turn) and short stuff. I'd mope around in it for a little bit, but it might get tiring if you're trying to cover ground with it on flat water.

As for your long legs... only getting in it will you find out if it fits. If it does then I say go for it, can't really go wrong with a kayak like that and your needs for it.

-Doug

thetrailboss

Staff member
Thanks folks. I think I do need to get into it and see how it fits. I want a smaller kayak for versatility and fun. Not for long trips or whitewater. This is a good match for Ms. TB I think.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Some outfitters have demo days where you can same a lot of boats on the same day. We are in the market for a similar pair of boats, though I am leaning towards something with a little more speed and less initial stability after trying out a boat last year that was much quicker and more fun than the standard recreational kayak. Being a bigger guy, I am not even considering a purchase until I can try a bunch out a demo day and see what fits best.

thetrailboss

Staff member
So went to look at them. Couldn't help it. The Perception Prodigy looked like a strip model. It fit surprisingly well, but the seat was not as comfy as the one on the Wilderness Systems models. The Pamlico 100 was nice....a great seat and easy to get into. The Pungo 100 was nice...but I don't think it is worth $200 more for the sealed bulkhead and the keel.

amf

...but I don't think it is worth $200 more for the sealed bulkhead and the keel.

Sealed bulkhead & keel are worth the price... bulkhead keeps your stuff drier (& you always have stuff), & adds flotation, which you will end up buying for bow & stern if you don't have bulkheads. My wife could not understand what the big deal was without the flotation (she has an old Acadia, which is basically what you are looking at). I had her flip & try to move and/or bail a fully swamped boat with no flotation... it ain't fun.

cbcbd

Sealed bulkhead & keel are worth the price... bulkhead keeps your stuff drier (& you always have stuff), & adds flotation, which you will end up buying for bow & stern if you don't have bulkheads. My wife could not understand what the big deal was without the flotation (she has an old Acadia, which is basically what you are looking at). I had her flip & try to move and/or bail a fully swamped boat with no flotation... it ain't fun.
Lol, yep, I once "made" my friend practice capsizing and getting back in doing a T-rescue with me off the coast of RI with her Acadia... man, it took a lot of torquing that boat over mine to tip it to get all that water out - very fun experiment and lesson.

But, some people just won't be capsizing that often, and if they are then they should be/are paddling in areas where you can swim to shore easily. You can't tell until you paddle the boat, but flatter hulled boats with good primary stability (ie recreational boats) take a lot of aggressive leaning to capsize. Now, if you're planning on paddling most where there are waves (flatter hulled boats will tend to lean with the wave, sending you over - boats with a more pronounced keel will let you lean into the wave and keep the boat upright) and you'll be far away from land then it's a whole different ballgame and you should maybe get a different boat.

There is no one "do-it-all" kayak. You should get a boat that will serve for the paddling you do most.
I have 2 right now and could easily see myself with 2-3 more - I have a friend who has 13!

Last edited:

Bumpsis

Let me add one more voice to the chorus of advice of trying a few different boats.
You may be really surprised how much easier it is paddle something with a longer, sleeker hull and deeper keel vs. a general purpose, recreational boat.
The recreational kayak is a good place to start but you may find yourself outgrowing it really quickly.

I bought a rec. boat like that that with the intention of just having a water platform with which I could gain access to ponds/lakes that otherwise were off limits to general public (private ownership of the water's edge) so I could take a swim and just hang out on the water.
Soon though, I found myself seeking out whitewater and realizing that anything over a vigorous class II rapid was a really scary proposition in my boat.
I also found my craft's shorcomings paddling on group outings and having to cover some decent distance.

A recreational kayak is an enjoyable water kraft but it has some distinct limitations.
You could try to find somethig used and with that experience see if if you need to get something more specialized.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Well, I did get this boat:

210239871_red_4x4.jpg

The biggest thing for me, at this point, was cost. I did not want an entry level boat, but something with a few more frills. We also did not have much room for storage. Bought it last weekend, just picked it up today. Took it on the Connecticut River at the Ledyard Bridge. Man, the water is low (spring release at the dam) and the current is swift! I lasted 30 minutes or so.....just too swift of a current. The boat handled well. I went to a local pond and had a blast. The boat tracks well....and like a good pair of skis, I was getting "its feeling." I like it. Perfect size, great price, looks good, and handles well. Is it the fastest boat? No. The sleekest? No. But it is fun...and was in my pricerange. I think a keeled boat would have been...um...interesting on the river today.

Ms Trailboss' Boat: The Perception Prodigy (at less than $300!)

210239867_blue_4x4.jpg

bigbog

Oh yeah,
No matter what a river's surface may look like, water is the #1 dominant force on this planet! Get some good PFDs, and just like skiing...a lesson(paddling technique) can work wonders for anyone with both their paddling technique and balance...etc. Just as in skiing(to some degree :lol:), the more one does, the better one gets and the more balanced one becomes.
*There are quite a few types of seat comfort-aids....ie gel substance inside neoprene, foam, etc..for any seat that may seem too hard or too low, in case one ever gets uncomfortable...there is help out there.

Last edited:

Rushski

Agree w/BIGBOG, a good PFD is crucial as is learning at least the basics. Padlle handling, entry/exit, etc...

Also, a good paddle will allow many more miles on the water.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Add a tandem (for flat water) to your quiver. My wife and I paddled close, enough to be scared, to a moose on May Pond near Barton VT last summer.

Someday maybe...am on little or no income because of being in school....