• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Kid Stoke

HD333

With a few east coast MT's open I declare ski season is officially upon us.

Figured I'd start this thread as a spot for all of us proud parents to post up some kid stoke throughout the season.

I'll start, these are last season.

vurameze.jpg
ygy3u8un.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Awesome! My son is too small. This is all I have so far, lol.

Capture.jpg

Speaking of. My son is now 16 months. What can I do this winter, if anything? I was thinking of getting some little baby skis or something and just going in the backyard. I was talking to a guy at Wachusett and he took his son on the lift at 18 months but I doubt that will happen haha. Just some sliding while I hold him would be fun for me and satisfy my desire to be able to say he "skied at 18 months old".

dlague

I tethered my youngest son at two and a few months - a year later we put him in private lessons like crazy! My other boys just put in lessons at 3 and 3 and a half years old! I will try to find pics but my youngest is 11 and an awesome snowboarder! My other boys grew up to out ski their dad!

Smellytele

Tahoe.jpg

Almost 4 years ago. All 3 are great skiers. While the middle one is more cautious he has the best form. the other 2, the bookends as my wife calls them ski all out every run and are very hard to keep up with.

HowieT2

My daughter from the SB web site. photo was from 2012 so she was 11 at the time. she won her age group.Lila web CR extreme.jpg

wa-loaf

Top of Mt Ellen last year. My kids are in white and orange:

17697_10200167647547471_47031420_n.jpg

watkin

Speaking of. My son is now 16 months. What can I do this winter, if anything? I was thinking of getting some little baby skis or something and just going in the backyard.

THIS!!

My first is of similar age. He will be turning 2 end of March and I'm trying to figure out what I can get him to at least just get him to try on planks this year. For lessons most hills give lessons starting at 3, but I did find that Smuggs has lessons for kids as young as 2. For this year I want to do one of these, but what kind of gear should I get? Think the lesson would include rentals? And is a helmet absolutely necessary for one day out?

last season (age 3) i threw on the boots and skis and crossed my fingers that he wouldn't freak out with these things attached to him...we achieved success there, so we went out the backyard and i gently pushed him around a bit...he really seemed to enjoy it, so this season, age 4, maybe we're going to try a carpet and/or bunny slope and see what happens...anyone have any experience with this? it seems like a lesson might not even make sense at this point...just want him to get the feel of sliding and how to balance...i don't see myself on skis for this, just walking alongside to help and/or in front to catch...maybe after a couple of these type outings move on to a lesson

wa-loaf

last season (age 3) i threw on the boots and skis and crossed my fingers that he wouldn't freak out with these things attached to him...we achieved success there, so we went out the backyard and i gently pushed him around a bit...he really seemed to enjoy it, so this season, age 4, maybe we're going to try a carpet and/or bunny slope and see what happens...anyone have any experience with this? it seems like a lesson might not even make sense at this point...just want him to get the feel of sliding and how to balance...i don't see myself on skis for this, just walking alongside to help and/or in front to catch...maybe after a couple of these type outings move on to a lesson

I had my son out at 2 just sliding around, three we were skiing around with a leash by the end of the season, at four he really took off.

mriceyman

my wife is due april 1st. so I get one more ski season to myself then I cant wait to get em on the hill. earlier the better.

dlague

Our youngest was 3 and a few months and we put him in one hour private lessons three days in a row and BOOM - he was skiing and making turns! A couple weeks later two more lessons and he was making turns with out snow plowing. As I mentioned earlier, at about 2 and a half I tethered him between my skis and then let the rope out on easier areas. Never did the little hill thing.

The point here is they learn quickly and it sticks - lessons are way worth it! I have friends who were convinced they could teach their kids and they were stuck on bunny trails while we were hitting blues and later at 5 and 6 blacks!

Smellytele

My youngest started when he was under 3 (maybe 2 and 9 or 10 months). My wife worked at a ski area and had him in the day care and one day she looked out the window and he was skiing past with an instructor we knew. She had no idea they just brought him out. I had him on the bunny slope a few times before that to have him used to having the skis on. I would carry him up 40 or 50 feet and run or ski down backwards in front of him.

HD333

Our youngest was 3 and a few months and we put him in one hour private lessons three days in a row and BOOM - he was skiing and making turns! A couple weeks later two more lessons and he was making turns with out snow plowing. As I mentioned earlier, at about 2 and a half I tethered him between my skis and then let the rope out on easier areas. Never did the little hill thing.

The point here is they learn quickly and it sticks - lessons are way worth it! I have friends who were convinced they could teach their kids and they were stuck on bunny trails while we were hitting blues and later at 5 and 6 blacks!

Age 4, definitely lessons, we did group lessons at first, they will get him/her used to simply being on skis and maneuvering around the base/liftlines (stuff us parents take for granted) which is half the battle, plus you get some time to ski/drink/whatever with the wife!

dlague

Age 4, definitely lessons, we did group lessons at first, they will get him/her used to simply being on skis and maneuvering around the base/liftlines (stuff us parents take for granted) which is half the battle, plus you get some time to ski/drink/whatever with the wife!

+1

xwhaler

My son is 9 mos now----my thought was once he starts walking an has reasonable balance I could get some plastic skis and just push him around the back yard/driveway. Just to get him acclimated with being outside in winter and the feeling of gravity/motion. My hope was that we could put him in lessons the end of next season (when hes 2+)

Perhaps wishful thinking though----this thread will likely prove to be quite helpful.

shpride

I had my daughter out on plastic skis in our backyard last year. She also walks around the house with them on all the time. I think walking around the house with them on has gotten her used to the feel of them on her feet. This year we hope to get her private lessons as a late 2-3 year old. She turns 3 Feb 28. I'll probably just rent stuff this year. Most places they seem to come with the 1 hour private lesson. I can't imagine her being out on the hill much longer than the one hour lesson this year.

I'm enjoying all your stories. It is interesting to learn what people did and thought was good for their development.

SIKSKIER

Have many friends that got there kids out on skis by 18 months and many more by 2 yo.But beware,that means they will be kicking your ass at a much younger age!

Last edited:

HowieT2

my kids were born in late june, so at 2.5 we put on the plastic things and pulled them around. at 3.5 group lessons plus me holding on to them. by 4.5 they were skiing untethered.