• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington 11/7

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
First of all... DAY ONE IN THE BOOKS :thumbup:

Ski Area: Killington
Time Skied: 9:45-3:15
Weather: Bluebird with temps in the 30s
Conditions: Scratchy on Rime with beautiful fluffy manmade on Upper East Fall. Upper GN mixed bag.

What an awesome first day! Killington skied FANTASTIC! Upper East Fall was absolutely delicious. Creamy man made snow turned into big round moguls in the PM. So much fun. Rime was scratchy underneath whatever the guns had made. Turned into a nice sugary substance in the PM. Moguls on Rime are a little too big/technical for my taste...but I dabbled in them and they skied fine. Most of my day was spent doing upper Rime and cutting over to East Fall. Rime, Reason, and even Upper Great Northern are buried in at least 2-3 feet of snow. Still, they kept the guns on today until they were blowing water. Busy enough to have someone to talk to on the chair, empty enough so that everyone had there own space on the hill.

A couple of notes:
Lot's of cannabis on the hill today. Like, lot's and lot's to the point where it was kinda sickening.
Met Joshua Segal on the lift by chance. Nice guy, very knowledgeable, hope to ride with you again, sir!
Out of my 20 or so chairlift rides at least a dozen people asked if I would be up for the World Cup. Word has DEFINATELY gotten out about this event. Everyone (but Highwaystar) is rooting for Killingto to pull this off!
First time up the stairs and those things are a serious PITA but worth it.
First time in the Peak Lodge...food prices were so ridiculous I couldn't even look at the menu too long.

Guns ablaze on a DEEP Rime
DSCF5514.jpg

Pass...get it if you can ski it
DSCF5523.jpg

Can you believe it's November 7 and we're skiing with full coverage!
DSCF5542.jpg

Superstar report:
Guns were blazing on the top 3/4 of the trail when I pulled in the lot at 9:30. No fan guns, just the K3000's. They slowly got turned off to nothing by early afternoon. After skiing I went over and walked around the base to see the operation. The sheer amount of hoses and guns are staggering. It would be a spectacle to watch the snowmakers in action. I've never seen anything like it. They mean business. That all said, depths are pretty sad as of now. There's just a foot or so of snow at the base. Waterbars are still completely visible. The "S" is just dust with grass. Rumor has it there's a massive pile up top though, and that Killington rented three big snow cats to push the snow downhill for the course if needed.

Not messing around
DSCF5572.jpg

DSCF5573.jpg

mriceyman

That is an absurd amount of guns. Friday night would be awesome to watch them all going

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Nice report from ss20 and nice meeting you too.

Upper East Fall and the left side of Rime had moguls. Surfaces were good. Temps maxed around 40 and the sunshine was brilliant. No crowd. Great day!

I'm a big fan of the stairway. What a great end-of the day calorie burn - and it does keep the North Ridge from getting crazy crowded!

(Regarding the World Cup race: The were making snow on Superstar early in the day - but they lost a lot with the warm spell. I would say the odds of Killington getting enough snow for the world cup are at least as good as that of Mrs. Clinton becoming President.)

dlague

Looks like they are pulling from hydrants from other trails? But there are no others trails. Must be hydrants that are all around the base.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

ss20

Looks like they are pulling from hydrants from other trails? But there are no others trails. Must be hydrants that are all around the base.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

Correct. They had water pulled from a few hydrants in front of the K1 lodge that would normally be connected to base area guns. Lots of hoses!

ss20

One of the best snow guns money can buy... they had 5 on the lower part of the course + the tower gun. One more up on North Ridge, and one in the parking lot that was still wrapped up waiting for use. Those 8 guns will cost you the small sum of $300-500k. I think some are rented or something like that, but still, lotta cash for $now.

DSCF5568.jpg

mriceyman

One of the best snow guns money can buy... they had 5 on the lower part of the course + the tower gun. One more up on North Ridge, and one in the parking lot that was still wrapped up waiting for use. Those 8 guns will cost you the small sum of $300-500k. I think some are rented or something like that, but still, lotta cash for $now.

View attachment 20972

For the amount of international exposure they will get its a small price to pay

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

slatham

I've never seen portable hydrants before!

Even though the weather patterns are not ideal they likely get over 48 hours this weekend and I suspect they put down a ridiculously sick amount of snow.

Also from Horizon CAM they have put snow down on Skylark (or Hawk).