• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington - 3/15/08

rocojerry

Like I mentioned in a prior post, Killington has never been a favorite mountain of mine.. A few good days though have started to change my opinions, and who know's... maybe some day I'll grow to somewhat even like it.... Still waiting for that deep pow, discounted or compd weekday though...

Date(s) Skied: 3/15 & 3/16

Resort or Ski Area: Killington

Conditions: 3-5" of Wet snow, a slow pow day. Crowds? Did they forget about all the snow we've recieved this winter? The kind of lift-lines that were mostly just held up by the guy scanning tickets....

Trip Report:
We got out pretty early, but by no means first chair.. Most of the popular trails were tracked out by the time I got to them. The less popular ones had plenty of fresh on the sides. We started off over on the spectators right side, Ramshead... I was with my girlfriends coworker(her work trip brought us back up here to the K), the typical winter warrior going out for his first ski trip of the year.. He would stick to the trails, and I would find my way through the woods trails in between... Killingtons base is pretty strong, and many of the woods runs I took were not marked woods trails... I kept an eye out for the fresh lines, and found them.. The snow was wet, and there was a crusty but not icy (frozen corn?) base underneath. We worked our way all the way over to Bear peak by the end of the day.. I found good lines almost all day through the tree's, steep, challenging and technical..

I'll upload some pictures when I get a chance, and will post them here.... or within this thread as a follow up mesg.

danny p

i'm surprised you considered saturday a "slow pow day". I was at Pico and it was nice quality snow on top of a firm surface which made it pretty fast. Maybe it was because I was on a snowboard? I hear ya about the ticket scanners.

rocojerry

i'm surprised you considered saturday a "slow pow day". .

Maybe just the trails I started out on, and the company I was with was slow....
The snow over at K was just that stickier wet pow... perhaps even morning sun had something to do with it, or Pico's orientation (I think it's on the north face, while most of K is eastward facing)